AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a 32" LCD.

Re: Sharp D42U and D43U, I was told the latter has multi-pixel tech., and it appears to have a slightly different cabinet, any other differences?

EDIT: Apparently, there are no differences.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/0

Re: Sharp D42U and D43U, I was told the latter has multi-pixel tech., and it appears to have a slightly different cabinet, any other differences?

I am looking to get a 37" LCD and was also wondering as to the differences between the D42U and the new D43U sharp models. Thx.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi, when I looked at the Sharp brochure for 2007 all I could find in terms of difference is the look of the beazle. Mind you, I love the 43 look as it is the same as the 62s; just gorgous! If there are any other differences, please let us know, thanks, Yasmine

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:

I, too, have the same question. The one website that I could find that sells the d43U lists the specs for the D42U when you click on the "specifications" tab for the D43U model.

The SharpUSA website doesn't even have the D43U listed. For 32" models, though, it does list 8, that's EIGHT, different models, some of which, if I compare the models, are impossible to determine the differences.

I can't but help but think they make so many models in the same size so as to deliberately confuse the consumer.

Have they ever considered being "consumer-friendly"? How hard would it be to put up a comparison feature that only highlights the differences?

Enough with my ranting. If anyone can explain the differences between the D42U and D43U models, then perhaps I'd be able to make a reasonably informed decision as to whether I should fork over an extra $200 to purchase the D43U model...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The manual for the LC-32D43U / LC-37D43U is available on the Sharp Canada website.

I can't link yet so try "sharp(dot)ca/manuals/"

I compared the manuals of the D43U with the LC-32D42U / LC-37D42U manuals and Acrobat says the only textual difference is the model numbers. It looks like the specs are exactly the same for D42U and D43U (32" and 37" LCD models).

Anyone else notice a difference?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only reason I can see to have these two so-called model numbers is to allow the 42u to be sold by Costco. This allows them to sell a slightly different model and not let other retailers be price-compared out of the market. Happens all the time with other appliances/electronics...

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the 42s anywhere outside of Costco or similar type of chains...not in the bestbuys. In fact my local BB just got the 43u

Bigger question is how close it is to the 43u...same panel specs, but maybe lower quality one off the line? ? What else do you unknowingly give up...beside the glossy bezel and whatever multipixelpure...or whatever it is called..?

Maybe nothing ?

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the 42U was and is available at all of the major reputable web vendors.

Sharp changed the case from the 41U to 42U, albeit radically different.

Now, it appears they slightly changed the case from 42U to 43U.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:

Yes, the 42U was and is available at all of the major reputable web vendors.

Sharp changed the case from the 41U to 42U, albeit radically different.

Now, it appears they slightly changed the case from 42U to 43U.

Hmmm...I sense in this case it isn't evolutional....I see these slightly different models all the time at Costco (and likely at other warehouse chains)...as I am sure many out they know, they are always a few bucks off anything you have seen, until you look closely and it is a slightly different model number and a feature has been omitted to make the unit cheaper (and price matching impossible).

Million dollar question (or in this case, $100-150 question -- thats the difference btw models in Canada) for this thread is what was left out of the 42u...so far it seems just the high gloss bezel and maybe multipixel technology (whateve that is).

Funny, the guy in Costco today was complaining that the 42u (with the matte finish) picked up and showed off dust like crazy...he had to dust it a few times a day...so maybe just as dusty as the glossy 43u.

I am going back and forth between the 42u and 43u...not so much the price difference but the 6 month return policy at Costco vs. the 30 day of the others offering the 43u.

R

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by threemaples /forum/post/0

Hmmm...I sense in this case it isn't evolutional....I see these slightly different models all the time at Costco (and likely at other warehouse chains)...as I am sure many out they know, they are always a few bucks off anything you have seen, until you look closely and it is a slightly different model number and a feature has been omitted to make the unit cheaper (and price matching impossible).

Million dollar question (or in this case, $100-150 question -- thats the difference btw models in Canada) for this thread is what was left out of the 42u...so far it seems just the high gloss bezel and maybe multipixel technology (whateve that is).

Funny, the guy in Costco today was complaining that the 42u (with the matte finish) picked up and showed off dust like crazy...he had to dust it a few times a day...so maybe just as dusty as the glossy 43u.

I am going back and forth between the 42u and 43u...not so much the price difference but the 6 month return policy at Costco vs. the 30 day of the others offering the 43u.

R

Apologize...just realized that I may have confused myself (and others)...Costco has a version of the 42u...which has a matte black finish/different bezel and is a few bucks less. I thought the 42u was the matte black Costco model...but I seen now that there is also a piano black version of the 42u...which many of you know...

Sorry folks...

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:

Right, the 42U and 43U are both glossy.

Well...makes the differences even less between the models...well must be the multipixel technology then...

However, can't see the reason for them to have these two models in the retail stream...maybe in the production run they started with 42s and then decided to integrate multipixel into it and starting running the 43u....this would imply that the 42s will run out or disappear at some point....

Pure speculation on my part
...maybe I'll give Sharp Canada a call.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by threemaples /forum/post/0

Well...makes the differences even less between the models...well must be the multipixel technology then...

However, can't see the reason for them to have these two models in the retail stream...maybe in the production run they started with 42s and then decided to integrate multipixel into it and starting running the 43u....this would imply that the 42s will run out or disappear at some point....

Pure speculation on my part
...maybe I'll give Sharp Canada a call.

Some photos of these TVs make the D43 to look silver on the borders rahter than the D42 being grey; could be just lighting, does anyone know?

We like silver, so silver or grey, I would go D43, just because it is newer.

But, for a slight discount, the D42 is fine too, it appears.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.