AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this in the Sunday ads this morning. Looks like the Sharp DVD recorder is finally here. I searched GoodGuys website, but had no luck finding it. They probably have not updated their site yet. But the good news is that they are offering 10% off on all purchases over $199 plus free shipping and no tax. Kewl :)

Model: DVRW2U

Price: $599.99

Supports: DVD-R/RW format

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I also saw this recorder at Fry's earlier in the week.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Features:

* Disc Navigation System with thumbnail display.

* Record up to two hours in standard mode (SP) and up to six hours in manual mode (MN).

* DV Terminal with iLink for direct digital video transfer to disc

@Rich4av:

How much was it?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It was $599 as well.

·
Registered
854 Posts
If anyone purchases this player please give us a report on picture quality and set up. I am interested how it compares with the other recorders out especially the more expensive ones. Thanks Greg Young

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Sharp's somewhat muddled press release doesn't actually state that this unit records to DVD-R. It only references DVD-RW. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Who makes the mechanism? Sharp? Pioneer?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robin
ecost page sez:

Recording formats DVD-RW, DVD-R
I'm looking at the ecost page and it states: "Playable formats DVD, DVD-RW, DVD-R, Audio CD, CD/R, CD/RW,MP3; Playable formats DVD, DVD-RW, DVD-R, Audio CD, CD/R, CD/RW,MP3"

This doesn't really say anything about recording formats. It's also listed in all press releases (as well as on ecost) as a "DVD-RW Recorder", as opposed to a "DVD-R/RW" recorder. I'm a little suspicious that recording to DVD-R is assumed when it might not be the case.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Jeff,

cut and pasted from the ecost page

============================

Features:

Playable formats DVD, DVD-RW, DVD-R, Audio CD, CD/R, CD/RW,MP3

Recording formats DVD-RW, DVD-R

Progressive Video Output (480P)

Dolby Digital output

Still/fast/slow/step playback

Random/Repeat playback

Screen saver, Auto power off

Inputs: AV / S-video + iLink on front panel

AV / S-video on rear panel

Outputs: AV / S-video / component on rear panel

VCR Plus programming

Virtual Surround Sound

Parental Lock

Direct Search Playback

Resume playback

Unified Multi-Function remote control

·
Registered
854 Posts
The question is what kind of picture quality does this recorder give. The firewire, progressive scan, component and s-video out along with the price can't be beat. Other than Philip's recorder I don't believe their is another recorder out there for that price with a firewire. Greg Young

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And it doesn't have a TBC like the Panasonic models..

One thing still missing on most of the announced standalone recorders scheduled to debut later this year is an IR Blaster to control cable/satellite boxes. I think only the upcoming Philips DVDR80 will have this feature.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Gil, Can you please clarify what is the TBC you are refering to that the panasonic models have that this one does not. Thanks Greg Young

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Time Base Corrector

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To answer your question, you need to know what a TBC does:

Quote:
TBC (Time Base Corrector) is a device used to rectify any problems with a video signal's sync pulses by generating a new clean time base and synchronizing any other incoming video to this reference.
So now that you know what a TBC does, do you need need one?

Quote:
If you have a video tape, which is too old and video quality is not good, you need to clean the video using a video signal cleaner. That is the job of a Time Base Corrector (TBC). TBC cleans the video by fixing the timing synchronization of the video signal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.