Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I normally don't participate in this particular forum, but I came across this article on the web and thought it was worth posting here. I did a search and couldn't find it posted anywhere else, so please forgive me if this is old news...

http://www.japancorp.net/Article.Asp?Art_ID=6296

No word on price or when it might appear stateside, but very interesting nonetheless

-Samuel

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I found something on Sharp's site here which indicates February 5th for the DV-HRD2 and March 15th for the DV-HRD20, but price is "Open".

--Darin

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I was just going to post this news! What I can't tell from the specs is: does it only record HDTV OTA ? If so, no big deal. I can't tell if it has a DVI input that can accept DVI out from a cable or sat. box.

What I would like is an HDTV recorder that can record the HDTV stream that now gets fed directly to my HDTV screen.

...mike

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
These are for Japan. They won't work here. No recorder will ever have DVI input. It is only for display. Those units have Japanese OTA and Satellite tuners built in, none of which are compatible with US standards. You can only hope that they will make models for US.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA
These are for Japan. They won't work here. No recorder will ever have DVI input. It is only for display. Those units have Japanese OTA and Satellite tuners built in, none of which are compatible with US standards. You can only hope that they will make models for US.
Plus, the digital video outputs are not used in the US.

-phil

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Wow,

Things are starting to heat up in the HD recording arena! I'm loving it! So now the always present question of should I wait for the next best thing, or jump on board early (i.e. LST-3410).

Aw to hell with it, I'm jumping on early as always and then upgrading 3 months later! :)

Troy

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Plus, the digital video outputs are not used in the US.
Of course they are used in US. We have DVI, HDMI and in some cases firewire. These units though, use firewire only for archiving to DVHS.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Of course they are used in US. We have DVI, HDMI and in some cases firewire. These units though, use firewire only for archiving to DVHS.
I am speaking specifically of the digital video output on these units - the D video output. Of course I know that there are digital video outputs in use in the US, I've been using DVI to my DLP set for over a year now.

-phil

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Quote:
I am speaking specifically of the digital video output on these units - the D video output. Of course I know that there are digital video outputs in use in the US, I've been using DVI to my DLP set for over a year now.
D video output in Japan is not digital. It is small connector which carries component analog video. D1 is 480i, D2 is 480p, D3 is 720p and D4 is 1080i.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Quote:
D video output in Japan is not digital. It is small connector which carries component analog video. D1 is 480i, D2 is 480p, D3 is 720p and D4 is 1080i.
My bad,

I guess I should have originally said:

Plus, the ANALOG HI-BANDWIDTH video outputs are not used in the US.

-phil

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:
Plus, the ANALOG HI-BANDWIDTH video outputs are not used in the US.
Analog hi-bandwidth video outputs are used throughout the world inluding U.S. That is Y,Pb,Pr analog component connector used in HDTV inputs or HD set-top-box outputs. EIA/CEA-770.3A defines the wideband analog component interface(R,G,B or Y, Pr, Pb).

In Japan, EIAJ/JEITA CP-4120 standard is used for the same analog hi-bandwidth video interface. It's called D-terminal. (D1/D2/D3/D4/D5 outputs)

See D-connector Output column of http://www.tequipment.net/LeaderLT447.html for D-terminal pin description.

P.S. Don't confuse D1/D2/D3/D4/D5 analog interface with professional video tape format like D-1, D-2, D-3, and D-5.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SoPa
Analog hi-bandwidth video outputs are used throughout the world inluding U.S.
Right, and liike you said, the D terminal is used in Japan. So, like I said, the ANALOG HI-BANDWIDTH video outputs are not used in the US.

-phil

·
Registered
244 Posts
There is nothing to get real exited about those sharp units,even in Japan regarding the HD part:

1) Those can record HD onto hard-disk, there are other products on the market that already allow that and are much cheaper.The DVHS I-link is nothing new too.

2) They have a built-in DVD recorder which will record HD but does downconvert the data into SD before recording.

D connectors are just normal analog component connectors in a different plug shape, much like we have Dsub and BNC connectors for RGBHV.

Rob

·
Registered
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilB
Right, and liike you said, the D terminal is used in Japan. So, like I said, the ANALOG HI-BANDWIDTH video outputs are not used in the US.

-phil
Actually, they are used here. The little JVC HD camcorder uses the D terminal on the consumer and pro versions.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/s...&feature_id=03

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Sharp unit is similar to the LG HD recorder, but with bigger hard drives.

But the drives in the LG unit are upgradable. You COULD have a LG with a 250 GB drive, if you are willing to open the unit and swap out the drive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.