AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting a new hdtv as i have had many problems with my previous purchase of a sony kdl-46s4100, i play games alot and i am trying to decide which of these tv's would be a better purchase. Also feel free t recommend another tv in the same price range as these 2, I am looking for a fast response time and good contrast ratio

·
Registered
998 Posts
I wouldn't touch that Samsung 71 series. Its well over a year old, along with the Sharp 82u. Is there any particular reason you are looking at outdated sets? That Samsung has had many problems. You should be looking at a 650 series Samsung (current model). The Sharp 82u was also not a true 120hz tv, and was plagued with serious banding issues. I checked into the Sharp when buying, and all 4 had banding issues. I bought three of the Samsungs of which you speak, and will never buy another Sammy either. Finally settled on a Sony. Now I can actually enjoy a problem free set, and not miss countless hours of work time dealing with Samsung service.

In all honesty, I can't comment on the 85u Sharp. I consider them behind the curve when it comes to LCDs, especially after last years QC issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the only reason im lookng at older sets is because i dont have enough to afford any high end sony's or samsungs, and because ive gone through 2 tv's in 2 weeks because they wer too sow for gaming, but if you could recommend annything that's 1500$ at most id be interested, and i need something thats fast, thats why i was looking at both of those models

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you are looking at those models specifically, I would go for the newest Sharp. Samsungs are known to have more input lag than others for gaming purposes. They do have a game mode, but it renders picture adjustments useless. It wouldn't be that big of deal, but switching to game mode definitely changes the picture. I would definitely give the 120hz Sharp 85u a shot out of the three. Many gamers swear by their Sharps. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not fully focused on these brands, just the prices for some other stuff is ridiculous, but also, ive heard the sharp 85u has banding issues, and that it makes it almost not worth buying

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gamer,

I would seriously look into the banding issues with the Sharp set. I own the

52D82U and it is seriously messed up, $2500 later and it is nearly unwatchable.

How about a Toshiba model? I have many relatives who own the Regza models and they look quite good to me and so far are trouble free.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
toshiba isnt even an option, i can only get a tv from a certain list of models that the store that i bought my last tv from carries. I do get the tv at cost price thoe because my brother used to work there. Incase your wondering the store is 2001 audio video

1 - 8 of 8 Posts