AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting a new hdtv as i have had many problems with my previous purchase of a sony kdl-46s4100, i play games alot and i am trying to decide which of these tv's would be a better purchase. Also feel free t recommend another tv in the same price range as these 2, I am looking for a fast response time and good contrast ratio

· Registered
998 Posts
I wouldn't touch that Samsung 71 series. Its well over a year old, along with the Sharp 82u. Is there any particular reason you are looking at outdated sets? That Samsung has had many problems. You should be looking at a 650 series Samsung (current model). The Sharp 82u was also not a true 120hz tv, and was plagued with serious banding issues. I checked into the Sharp when buying, and all 4 had banding issues. I bought three of the Samsungs of which you speak, and will never buy another Sammy either. Finally settled on a Sony. Now I can actually enjoy a problem free set, and not miss countless hours of work time dealing with Samsung service.

In all honesty, I can't comment on the 85u Sharp. I consider them behind the curve when it comes to LCDs, especially after last years QC issues.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the only reason im lookng at older sets is because i dont have enough to afford any high end sony's or samsungs, and because ive gone through 2 tv's in 2 weeks because they wer too sow for gaming, but if you could recommend annything that's 1500$ at most id be interested, and i need something thats fast, thats why i was looking at both of those models

· Registered
998 Posts
If you are looking at those models specifically, I would go for the newest Sharp. Samsungs are known to have more input lag than others for gaming purposes. They do have a game mode, but it renders picture adjustments useless. It wouldn't be that big of deal, but switching to game mode definitely changes the picture. I would definitely give the 120hz Sharp 85u a shot out of the three. Many gamers swear by their Sharps. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

· Registered
113 Posts
Gamer,

I would seriously look into the banding issues with the Sharp set. I own the

52D82U and it is seriously messed up, $2500 later and it is nearly unwatchable.

How about a Toshiba model? I have many relatives who own the Regza models and they look quite good to me and so far are trouble free.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
toshiba isnt even an option, i can only get a tv from a certain list of models that the store that i bought my last tv from carries. I do get the tv at cost price thoe because my brother used to work there. Incase your wondering the store is 2001 audio video

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.