AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my LCD purchase narrowed down to the Sharp LC-45DG6U & the "X" model with the external media unit.

Can any of the owners of these units please comment on the fan noise? I am basically interested in your experience of how often the fans kick in and how audible they are.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've got an LC-45GX6U. I've never noticed the fan noise from my unit, and I cannot recall anyone complaining up here on the forum. I don't think I've ever seen any complaints on the GD6U either.

Phoenix

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixScreen
I've got an LC-45GX6U. I've never noticed the fan noise from my unit, and I cannot recall anyone complaining up here on the forum. I don't think I've ever seen any complaints on the GD6U either.

Phoenix
Thank you Phoenix. Do you have any specs on the replacements for these units comming out next month? I found a picture of one, but no specs. I like the look of the current model much better.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I haven't heard the details of the "new" 45" models. I think it's been covered in other threads, but the info didn't stick in my brain. The only thing I know for sure is there will be no more units like the LC-45GX6U with external AVC boxes.

Phoenix

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
There is a fan but it is one of the most silent ones I've heard. Nothing anyone has complained about.

·
Super Moderator
21,435 Posts
I notice fan noise on my LC-45GX6U: there are fans on the panel and one in the AVC box: usually with sound turned up you cannot hear them but they are noticeable to me with volume turned down

The worst habit of all the new Sharp LCD's is with a CableCard installed: even with the display turned OFF, the fans will cycle on/off continually: accoring to Mike53, this is because the card is downloading info

The fan noise when everything was off bothers me so I use Niles AC3 AC switches controlled by a remote trigger to shut power off to Sharp displays at night

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got an LC-45GX6U and was pleasantly amazed at how quiet the fans were. I can only even detect their presence if the room is dead quiet and I am within a foot or two of the panel / box.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I can hear them. I usualy notice them when I turn *off* the TV in a dead silent room. However, the following are much louder, so it isn't an issue:

1. dvr HD

2. HTPC HDs (dual raptors) (I have custom fans/heatsinks all over my pc)

3. outdoor noise (I like the window open)

4. refridge (this one is so loud, I have thought of conecting a timer to power it down during prime time tv)

so, if I didnt have 1-4, I would probably be mentioning the fans, but right now I hear so much else over them :)

basically, fan noise should be the LAST reason you decide not to buy this panel. That's not to say there are 100's of bad reasons...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremys
I can hear them. I usualy notice them when I turn *off* the TV in a dead silent room. However, the following are much louder, so it isn't an issue:

1. dvr HD

2. HTPC HDs (dual raptors) (I have custom fans/heatsinks all over my pc)

3. outdoor noise (I like the window open)

4. refridge (this one is so loud, I have thought of conecting a timer to power it down during prime time tv)

so, if I didnt have 1-4, I would probably be mentioning the fans, but right now I hear so much else over them :)

basically, fan noise should be the LAST reason you decide not to buy this panel. That's not to say there are 100's of bad reasons...
This is pretty much my setup also. They are all good points. Thank you. I will go with this unit, but am trying to get some infor on the new models from Mike53 to decide between the current model or one of the new ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.