AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay all you proud new LC-45GX6U owners out there... what are you using to wall mount your displays??

I'm looking for the absolute thinnest possible mount out there. No tilt, or articulating needed, just something less than 1/2" if possible. No point in a sleek thin TV set looking stupid sticking 6" off the wall because of a clunky mount!

I can't seem to find anything that doesn't add another 1.5-2" depth to the set, and that is just plainly unacceptable. Any recommendations?

I'm wondering if I couldn't recess a steel keyhold slot/plate into the wall studs, and simply insert strong bolts into the VESA mount on the back of the panel and just slide the bold heads into the keyhold slots. That would only add maybe 1/2" tops.

I mean, all these fancy-schmancy wall mounts in the end are really not attached to the panel by anything more then these four bolts, so I think they tend to be overengineered add-ons - why not skip them and just utilize the bolts themselves?? Most of the force would be acting on shear anyway, so I just need bolts that won't shear off - but here again, these wouldn't really be any different than the bolts used to attach the fancy wall hanging bracket, right??

Thanks,

Jcd

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay guys... I know we're all VERY busy working with our video cards to output the proper 1080 resolution, but surely we don't all have these sitting atop the cardboard boxes they came in, do we :D

Sorry I let my strong wall-mount bias thow through, but is everyone using the included table stand? Did anyone wall mount theirs??

I really want to know because I'll buy one in a heartbeat (and trust me, as a happy owner of a couple of the 37", I REALLY want one) - but the place where I want to put it is "sensitive" to a thick mounted set, so I need to know if I can get something super-thin, and how much so.

Thanks for any comments (really!)

Jcd

·
Registered
273 Posts
Whatever you do it can't be that thin, there are cooling vents that are driven by a couple of fans on the back.

It's got VESA standard mounting holes, so any plasma wall mount should do. There's a ton of these out there, just take your pick.

Something like this or these should work.

-dwx

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dwx
Whatever you do it can't be that thin, there are cooling vents that are driven by a couple of fans on the back.

-dwx
Hmmm.

For one of my 37" panels, I had access behind the wall (it's a closet) so I constructed a sturdy mounting frame between the studs and carefully (!) measured the 4 fan holes. Then I drilled 4 matching holes in the drywall where the fans are, and simply mounted bolts straight from behind directly into the panel. End result is a "zero clearance" mount.

Unfortunately, I don't have the same access where I want to put the 45" hence my search for alternatives.

On the other hand, my 30" panel uses an Omnimount bracket that only adds 1/2" to the depth and I'd like to do the same for the 45" but it weighs too much for the same model bracket.

The way these brackets are constructed, I can't see them failing with anything short of 300lbs, but then (sheepishly) do I want to take the risk?

I'm just amazed that folks are satisfied with a "flat-panel" jutting out of the wall 6-7 inches... to me it seems to defy the point of "hang-on-the-wall" sleek. (All you folks who don't wall mount are excused... sort of ;)

I like the "French cleat" idea often profferred here, but I actually DO have trouble putting that much faith in a thin peice of hardwood. I'm thinking of designing something similar to the French cleat, but in steel. Seems like I can get something 1/2" and plenty strong that way.

Okay, but about the vents... how do I know 1/2" isn't enough clearance? And if so, then what is enough clearance? Are there minimum CFM specs somewhere? IIRC, venting into the wall cavity isn't code-compliant, right?

Ahh, so many questions... when I figure something out, I'll post pictures!

Cheers,

Jcd

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"The way these brackets are constructed, I can't see them failing with anything short of 300lbs, but then (sheepishly) do I want to take the risk?"

Not with the Omnimount brackets. I don't think there construction is good enough to use beyond their rated spec.

Mark

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Not with the Omnimount brackets. I don't think there construction is good enough to use beyond their rated spec.

Mark
I definitely respect your opinion on this a great deal... But just to opine a bit further, the Omnimount I use for my 30" is the QM-100F, rated for 40 lbs. max.

Looking at the thing, it's nothing more than two steel plates that slide into each other. I can't begin to imagine the load forces required to bend the sliding/locking flanges on this.

I would concede in an instant if the point were relating to any sort of articulating mount - or even a tilt mount. Something with pivot points that would prove a weakness. But I'm trying to grip the fundamental metallurgy principles here. Would it be stress fatigue? Crack or fissue? Would it simply bend apart? Seems like the loading forces are entirely sheer, if you know what I mean.

Referring back to my original theory... it's really just the bolts holding this to the mount, right: 4 bolts being acted upon by a sheer force? If the bolts can hold, I'd sure as heck be suprised to see this rigid steel mount fail in any way.

Please understand, I'm not trying to be argumentative or difficult (not even stubborn :) ), just trying to wrap my head around the engineering/physics involved and UNDERSTAND :)

Any thoughts on the above?

Thanks,

Jcd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.