AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone else posted this question a month ago, with no replies. But I am trying to decide between these two Sharp models, LC-70LE732U and LC-70LE734U.

Let's start by assuming that they are both available for essentially the same price (so any price difference is not a consideration). What are the advantages of one over the other?

Here's what I already know (from the published specs on Sharp web site):

LC-70LE732U power consumption is 97.6W, 120Hz Fine Motion

LC-70LE734U power consumption is 247W, AquoMotion 240

Can anyone confirm that the stated difference in power consumption is accurate? If the 734U really consumes 2.5 times the power of the 732U, that's a huge difference!

I have heard people say that Sharp's AquoMotion 240 is not really 240Hz, but, as Sharp says, "120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced Technology with 120-backlight scanning". It looks like most calibration recommendations turn off the 240 and/or 120Hz scanning. Is this really a differentiator?

I can find no reference to local dimming on the Sharp site, although I have seen it mentioned repeatedly on this forum, while other forums say there is no local dimming. Can someone point me to where Sharp references local dimming for either of these models?

Both have Quad Pixel Plus, which I saw in action at Best Buy next to a Sammy 60" - and it really was dramatic. Very nice! (The 733U does not have this.)

I'm not interested in 3D. My wife wont have anything to do with it, and I don't want to have to wear glasses, on top of my eye glasses, to watch a 2-hour movie.

Thanks, in advance, for your inputs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe the power rating for the 732 is incorrect, the brochure that I looked at showed 237 watts, which seems pretty much what you would expect for such a large screen.

Neither of them is local dimming.

I was unable to find a store that had both the 732 and 734 to compare side by side, here Best Buy has the 732, and another big box store has the 734 and Sams club has the 733, so comparing them is impossible, unless you buy all 3.

I had the 733 for a few weeks till I could not stand how bulky it looked mounted on the wall, I was very happy with the picture, and very little input lag for gaming.

You say the quad pixel was dramatic, but in reality it is not as accurate of a picture, being that the yellow is artificially added because it is not in the video signal being sent to the tv, the yellows certainly do "pop" on them though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchL /forum/post/21045149

You say the quad pixel was dramatic, but in reality it is not as accurate of a picture, being that the yellow is artificially added because it is not in the video signal being sent to the tv, the yellows certainly do "pop" on them though.

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I was referring to the Quad Pixel Plus technology that is supposed to smooth the jagged edges in diagonal lines. In Best Buy, I was standing close to the 60" Sammy and 70" Sharp when the store feed flashed up some large text on both screens. I wasn't looking for it, but I noticed the diagonal edges in the letters on the Sammy were definitely jagged, while the Sharp's display of the same letters were very smooth. It was a very dramatic difference, and why Sharp claims they can handle higher definition images. That statement may not be technically correct, but having seen Quad Pixel Plus in action, I certainly understand what they are saying. I agree with you that yellow pixel is artificially added, but in this case, it does seem to be able to make a perceptable difference in apparent picture quality/resolution.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't have either one of these 2 models but I have the 733U. Most calibration settings I've seen have the pixel + turned off and I'm wondering why.

With that said, I'm really happy with the 733U purchased. I don't think you will go wrong with either model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchL /forum/post/21045149

I had the 733 for a few weeks till I could not stand how bulky it looked mounted on the wall, I was very happy with the picture, and very little input lag for gaming.

Just out of curiosity, what did you replace it with?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quick question on these TVs.

All the Sharp Aquos TVs over 70" have "Full Array LED". Isn't this equivalent or better than "Local Zone Dimming"?

Also, Tuesday Morning has a killer price on the LC-70LE734U today!!!

Is there anything "wrong" with that specific model?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts