AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need a DVI-I cable to connect this thing to a PC? I've tried a DVI-D cable from my Samsung monitor without luck even though I have "digital" set for input, not analog. This is connecting to a ATI 9600. I'm not getting any picture from the PC and a lot of the menu settings are greyed out for "INPUT 5" (DVI).

Also the entire display leans to the left almost half an inch. Is this normal or an obvious defect with the stand or distribution of weight? Wouldn't care to much setting far back watching a DVD but up closer using it as a monitor it would get annoying.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the 26GA4U and the manual suggests only DVI-I is supported. I am feeding mine RGB thru input 5 with an adapter and it works fine.

On the stand issue do you mean that the screen is tilted or the image. The screen is adjustable for tilt both horizontally and vertically. So if its the screen you may just have to give it a tug. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I thought DVD-I meant it can handle both DVI-A and DVI-D. Will I need a DVD-I cable if I get that TV? I have a DVI-D dual link cable, will that not work?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
(We just had this question a day or so ago.) You need only a DVI-D single link cable. The DVI-I part means that a VGA to DVI adapter and DVI-I cable could also be used to connect via VGA.

As to why you aren't getting signal, that I don't know but it is probably a setup problem of some type.

·
Registered
26 Posts
minimal

sorry if I confused things. Must have had a brain cramp. :( As others have pointed out the DVI-I cable will handle both digital and analog. I am using a VGA adapter since thats all my video card will output.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out the problem is not the cables since I now have both DVI-D and I working. The only way for the Sharp to see my PC is to shutdown down the PC first and by shutdown I mean I have to cut all power to the PSU so the motherboard is not getting power on standby. If I just plug in the Sharp while my machine is already on I get nothing. If I go through the shutdown routine, it works again and if I decide to turn off the Sharp and turn it back on (not touching the cable) I lose connectivity again. Not sure where the problem lies. I never had this problem before and I've gone through many LCD monitors. Granted never a TV/LCD monitor. This set just doesn't "feel" PC friendly. I'm not ragging on Sharp since they don't claim to be, just an observation.

Anyway I'm not keeping it as there is a pinkish streak of color running down the center about 3 to 4 inches wide from top to bottom. Tried playing with the color settings but that center is always the same. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.