AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a Sharp LC37D64U 1080p set as a computer monitor? I want to know the following:

1) what you like/dislike about it.

2) Best setting (fonts/size, drivers, contrast/brightness, etc) to set on my computer and on my Sharp TV.

I bought mine from dell.com last month (it is still on sale now). Currently, i am using this set as a computer monitor (90%) and 10% tv. This Sharp is hooked up to my computer with an ATI HD3450 graphics card running at 1920x1080 resolution. Sharp tv is set at Dot by Dot to match with the computer attached via HDMI. So I am able to maximize the resolution and enjoy this humongous set on my desk. Everything seems to work fine. However, i noticed the quality of the computer fonts (in browsers, Microsoft Excel/Word) is no match against my "old" 20 dell monitor. I am wondering is there anyway that i can do to address this? Or is this a well known compromise I have to deal with with a HDTV that also serves as a computer monitor.

Don't get me wrong, watching movies from my computer on this set is great and clear. However, using it as a normal computer monitor just hurts my eyes. i have messed with the settings a bit but it still doesn't look as good as a normal monitor.

Please help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my samsung LCD had the same problem. Certain fonts were very blurry but then renamed the input to PC and it looks better than my dell 2405fpw. Does your tv have a PC setting?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have used the same 37" D64U as a computer monitor hooked up to a Nvidia GTX280.

Overall I was pretty pleased with it. One thing to check is the TV's sharpness level. 0 or -1 will likely look best for computer use.

Sharp uses their own ASV panel and this uses a round pixel structure, it's due to this that some PC text may not look it's best.

You also need to consider that the overall dot-pitch of the screen will be larger than your older 20" Dell.

I recently picked up a Sony 40" Z-Series TV and I have to say it's generally better for PC use than the Sharps.

Though for the money, the Sharps are hard to beat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THis Sharp doesn't have a PC setting. It does support VGA connection but it only goes up to 1600x1200. To go 1920x1080, i have to use the HDMI connection. It does have a Dot to Dot setting to receive the resolution exactly from the source. But it just doesn't look as pretty as I expected.

Overall, it is usable but I just kept on starring at the font imperfections everytime i browse the net. I was using Sharpness level +3 and dropping to 0 is a little better. I will play around with the settings and see if i can live with it.

BTW, Vista shows this as a PnP monitor (60 Hz). Do you know if there is a driver for this monitor?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am using the LC37D64U as a computer monitor as well...just hooked it up today. I have also noticed that the fonts are not as crisp as my two other monitors on my desk.

How are you configuring the Dot to Dot setting on the TV? I don't think I've seen that option.

I am also encountering another problem. The tv is not displaying the image correctly...everything is overlapping outside of the borders. I have it set to 1920 x 1080 (via a DVI-HDMI hookup), but the top, bottom, and sides are all falling off the screen. I can just barely see the start bar at the bottom of the screen and if I maximize a window, the top bar on the window is off the screen.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsanchez /forum/post/15666971

I am using the LC37D64U as a computer monitor as well...just hooked it up today. I have also noticed that the fonts are not as crisp as my two other monitors on my desk.

How are you configuring the Dot to Dot setting on the TV? I don't think I've seen that option.

I am also encountering another problem. The tv is not displaying the image correctly...everything is overlapping outside of the borders. I have it set to 1920 x 1080 (via a DVI-HDMI hookup), but the top, bottom, and sides are all falling off the screen. I can just barely see the start bar at the bottom of the screen and if I maximize a window, the top bar on the window is off the screen.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Nevermind...found the Dot by Dot setting. No overflow now; it was set to stretch.

Doh!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts