Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! (first post to the AVS-forums)

I own a Sharp LC37HV4E (Europe, Sweden) and am very confused about the picture quality this peace of machine is giving me. The problem that puzzles me most right now is the colour-resolution. You all know the difference between 16bit(5bit-R, 6bit-G, 5bit-B) and 24bit?(8bit-R, 8bit-G, 8bit-B) This is what I mean about banding. All video coming through composite, s-video, component, RGB-scart seams to be cut down to 16bit (64K colours).

Looking at TV I experience:

Banding

Using XBox as source. Testing with games, DVD-playback and showing pictures through XBox Mediaplayer:

Composite (bad picture, crawling colours, banding)

S-Video (not so bad pictures, crawling colours, banding)

RGB-Scart (not bad picture, no crawling colours, BANDING!)

Component (not bad picture, scaler jaggies, on crawling colours, BANDING!)

Connecting a computer (Yes, I've managed to get 1360x786 after some tweaking of the gfx-card.). Here I get wonderful picture! No banding, so the picture from the VGA-in is 24 bit.

Anyone else got the same experience from the LC37?

Attached picture is showed through the XBox Mediaplayer on the LC37HV4E connected with HiDef-XBox-kit-component-cables. (The blue is a bit of because of overexposure of the digital camera)

The source picture is a perfect 24bit testfade.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Iorx,

thx for your post. You are just on time as I was going to buy one too.

Could you also post a banding example of normal TV. In other words: are you a very critical viewer or are the problems really obvious ? I couldn't detect bad banding until now but have to check more thoroughly again in the shops. Have you also tested with a "normal" DVD player ?

As the VGA pic seems to be good we could hope to get better pictures when they offer the DVI upgrade (which they told they would within the next few months...) (still waiting for a written confirmation)

In the USA they already offer DVI :mad:

I am more concerned about black shadow details. Are they good ??

More feedback pls...

·
Registered
391 Posts
They just told me new boxes would be available soon once they sorted out some DVI problems. This might mean having to buy a new box for people who already have one. Therefore I am waiting.

Would like to hear if anyone tried out the DVI connection of Sharp LCD displays in the USA...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by joys_R_us
Iorx,

thx for your post. You are just on time as I was going to buy one too.

Could you also post a banding example of normal TV. In other words: are you a very critical viewer or are the problems really obvious ? I couldn't detect bad banding until now but have to check more thoroughly again in the shops. Have you also tested with a "normal" DVD player ?

As the VGA pic seems to be good we could hope to get better pictures when they offer the DVI upgrade (which they told they would within the next few months...) (still waiting for a written confirmation)

In the USA they already offer DVI :mad:

I am more concerned about black shadow details. Are they good ??

More feedback pls...
Here is more feed back…

Can't post links to external pictures of the screen (haven't made 5 post in avsforums yet. forum rules...)

The banding is hard to take a photo of. I don't think I'm a very critical viewer, but when your eyes get stuck on the banding in some scenes instead of the picture something is wrong. The DVD movie that got me going about this banding problem was Cypher (aka Brainstorm). In a couple of scenes they fly over the USA states and there are semi-transparent walls coming up as state borders. These should be faded grey effect, like smoke, but here the banding was so bad that you couldn't stop look at that instead.

Normal DVD player :) Sorry, don’t have one. The XBox is pretty normal to me. Just kidding I understand what you mean and I’m going to try too get hold of one which has component out. Before the LC37 I ran the XBox with RGB-Scart to an ordinary 27†CRT and the picture was the best I ever seen on that TV. No visible banding.

DVI-upgrade??? The cable going from the monitor to the connector on AV-Box look very much like ordinary DVI to me. Haven’t tried to hook it up to a gfx-card though. Do you need an upgrade to feed the monitor DVI? Is that through the AV-box or straight into to monitor?

Black shadow details? Hmm… not following you. What is it that I’m supposed to look for? Give me an example.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think some people already tried to hook up to the DVI input on the panel directly but had problems with display resolutions. Haven't tried it myself, would be worth a go.

Any idea how much those new tuner boxes would cost? Kind of annoying, it should have been on them from day 1.

It would also be good if they changed the long delay when flicking between channels, on my set I think it takes over half a second to flick, which is a lot more than I am used to from the regular CRT I used to own. It's also slower than Hauppauge WinTV (although that made an annoying loud blip of noise when flicking).

Another think I would like to be able to do is disable some of the inputs so it doesn't take so long to scroll between them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sorry guys,

despite the info I got at the Berlin Exhibition two weeks ago I got an email from Sharp today saying they do NOT intend to introduce any DVI/HDMI displays (apart from a professional display only monitor (LC M3700)) in Europe.

One other man on the Exhibition told me they were having technical problems with DVI. Looking at the postings in various forums re. DVI problems I understand...

Pio will start marketing HDMI plasmas in October. All HDMI devices must go through vigarous tests and I assume it is a better bet to stick with HDMI instead of DVI.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Iorx

"Black shadow details? Hmm… not following you. What is it that I’m supposed to look for? Give me an example."

When you watch a dark scene on a DVD are you able to see the details of the objects on the display ? Or is everything more or less blackened out ?

Compare it with your CRT...

Thx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, now I'm with you.

Factory defaults and a normal lit room you can’t make out much detail in a dark scene. So, I’ve increased the brightness to a point where I can actually see what is going on. The shadow detail now are a bit darker than on the CRT I had before, but on the other hand the “blackness†of the screen doesn’t make it necessary to brighten it to the same level as on a CRT.

You really have to have a look by yourself I think.

Other things:

Does anyone know how to access the “service man mode†settings on LC37? I suppose that one can find more interesting settings in there :)

I’ve written a long e-mail with a lot of question of all the shortcomings I’ve found with the LC37 to a technical contact in Japan (via a technician here in Sweden)

Here are some of the questions in that e-mail:

----

Colour resolution from the digitised picture? Is there anything that could be done, or upgraded, to fix this?

Is it a hardware limitation of the monitor or the AV-Box?

What is the maximum colour resolution of the Monitor? 24bit or 16bit? (16.7 million or 65 thousand colour?)

Can the monitor (screen) be connected directly from a computer through the DVI-cable? (Using it as a computer monitor without going through the AV-box)

Shortcut to selecting external video source. It is a bit cumbersome to change from TV to, for example, external 3 because of the time it takes for the LC37 to walk down the list to position 3 of video-in choices. Is there a faster way to switch between video sources?

Is the TV-Tuner/AV box upgradeable?

The WSS is disabled in progressive scan modes. Should WSS work in 480p, 720p?

----

That was that,

/iorx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.