AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1250 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even in the these pictures the black levels of this TV looks impressive. I think we finally have our KURO killer. The 60,000 yuan price is higher than I expected, but it should street in the US for around 6-7K. Still out of reach for me in the current economy, but maybe next year.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomeo /forum/post/20766717


Where is this photo coming from ? Is that the final design of the X5 ? Any url ?

That is the final design for the Chinese market. The US one is supposed to have a complete black bezel and carry the ELITE logo from Pioneer. Also the current rumors are dealer only and no internet sales.

http://price.ea3w.com/digital_tv/index361459.shtml


This pic is the 60X5. Check out those deep blacks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,172 Posts
60,000 yuan is around $9300 for anyone without easy access to a currency converter. Sycore is merely noting he expects the U.S. price to be lower (which is certainly plausible).


At least they went for neutral cosmetics on this flagship. The last time, oy, it was hideous -- and the pricing was even more hideous.


U.S. pricing/availability should be this week maybe?


@sycore "Also the current rumors are dealer only and no internet sales" Doesn't mean dealers can't ship however. They just can't sell out of online shopping carts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb /forum/post/20767249


Of course, you can't tell anything from a photograph anyway.

...and there you go.


Honestly, I don't know why anyone cares about pictures other than of what the bezel looks like. Fortunately, the US is getting a brushed black aluminum bezel rather than the gaudy silver getup pictured above.


I'm sure these sets will be great, but in terms of blacks the Kuros have already been surpassed by local dimming LEDs. What it takes to be a "Kuro killer" is a total performance package. With that said, I fully expect the Elite Sharps to have amazing blacks, great contrast, and excellent color fidelity and saturation. (and hopefully a perfect gamma curve...) What I'm not expecting it to have is the silky smooth, natural motion of the Kuro and other plasmas. Also, the 9th generation Kuros were so close to perfection on so many fronts that they left only marginal room for improvement. (going purely by calibration standards and not necessarily personal taste, mind you)


It'll be interesting to see how great these Sharps are, and they most likely will be great, but no display can lay claim to "killing" the Kuro. They can merely eek out a measurable advantage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly21029 /forum/post/20767421


...and there you go.


Honestly, I don't know why anyone cares about pictures other than of what the bezel looks like. Fortunately, the US is getting a brushed black aluminum bezel rather than the gaudy silver getup pictured above.


I'm sure these sets will be great, but in terms of blacks the Kuros have already been surpassed by local dimming LEDs. What it takes to be a "Kuro killer" is a total performance package. With that said, I fully expect the Elite Sharps to have amazing blacks, great contrast, and excellent color fidelity and saturation. (and hopefully a perfect gamma curve...) What I'm not expecting it to have is the silky smooth, natural motion of the Kuro and other plasmas. Also, the 9th generation Kuros were so close to perfection on so many fronts that they left only marginal room for improvement. (going purely by calibration standards and not necessarily personal taste, mind you)


It'll be interesting to see how great these Sharps are, and they most likely will be great, but no display can lay claim to "killing" the Kuro. They can merely eek out a measurable advantage.

To me all plasmas flicker unacceptably - extremely annoying especially when a lot of white was in picture content.... kuros were no different, so right from the get-go I discarded them as unacceptable technology. I learned to live with flaws of LCD technology; none really was so annoying/pronounced like plasma flicker (some people don't see the flicker - can this be true!!???)


Boky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,749 Posts
Bocky,

Is the flicker you observe in plasmas due to the short retention time of their native (60 or 50 Hz refresh rate)? Panasonic refreshs each image frame 10 times to compensate for this characteristic of plasma displays and advertises these sets as 600Hz models in the US.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff69 /forum/post/20769525


The press event for these tv's are on Thursday, the 4th. We'll know pricing, specs, and I'm sure some we'll get some general impressions of the set as well.

We'll be getting much more than that as one of the best Pro Calibrators in the Country "Kevin Miller" was invited to do his thing and his evaluation will be posted by Friday and Sharp has agreed to provide one of these panels for the next Flat Panel Shootout conducted annually at Value electronics where the house will be filled with AV Pro's and members from this forum with hours of video available during and after the Shootout (which is usally spread across two days. I posted the original pic's of X5 but had to remove them at Sharps and Robert's request until they have their press conference - the Elite is a beauty and nothing like that version posted by the OP at all. (THANK GOD!



The irony of this flat panel shootout may be that last year Sharp's presence at the Shootout was a joke of many in the competition and was hard to watch as a Sharp owner and fan and we may end up with the opposite one year later with the refinements done by Sharp for the 2011 models and this Special baby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
Well, since Sharp has stake in Pioneer, i'm guessing its either a joint venture or Pioneer is licensing their Elite name out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky /forum/post/20768833


To me all plasmas flicker unacceptably - extremely annoying especially when a lot of white was in picture content.... kuros were no different, so right from the get-go I discarded them as unacceptable technology. I learned to live with flaws of LCD technology; none really was so annoying/pronounced like plasma flicker (some people don't see the flicker - can this be true!!???)


Boky

I hate to break it to you, but you're in the minority. The only "flicker" I've ever seen with plasma is when the 48hz mode is engaged on a Panasonic. Why they ever included that "feature" is beyond me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hope they have the local dimming Sony HX929 to compare it with along with the Kuro. The 55HX929 is pretty tempting at its 2.5K street. Don't know how much more the Sharp Elite 60X5 will be though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,172 Posts
The Value Electronics shootout is almost certainly going to have the Panasonic VT30, the Sony HX, the Sharp X5, some Samsung (maybe two).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycore /forum/post/20773002


Hope they have the local dimming Sony HX929 to compare it with along with the Kuro. The 55HX929 is pretty tempting at its 2.5K street. Don't know how much more the Sharp Elite 60X5 will be though.


Where have you seen that at 2500 ??
 
1 - 20 of 1250 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top