AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I know Sharp is coming out with newer versions of their 120hz sets the E series and bluray series but I was wondering if they are planning LED lit sets later this year or next?? I am interested in a new set but so far I am not very pleased with the performance of them, for example the new Samsungs have a very grainy look in hd and standard def doesn't look very good. I prefer a fluid water like crisp picture and Sony's are a bit much. Also I don't really like how games look on new LCD's such as samsung, i've played on 650 and 750, will this be different on LED lit sets?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that article is a year old, any current news on upcoming LED sets by Sharp because there was nothing at CES other then BD player LCD and E series

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also I am only interested in either 40 or 42 inch, those XS look like larger size only and crazy prices, any word from Sharp?.. their website looks very useless and out of date.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Yeah I was wondering this too. No new LED LCD from Sharp at the CES?

Didn't they use all that new hybrid LED tech for the XS1 series? You would think they'd want to immediately start putting out that tech in more affordable versions & sizes as soon as possible?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneyman /forum/post/15589172

that article is a year old, any current news on upcoming LED sets by Sharp because there was nothing at CES other then BD player LCD and E series

The thread is ongoing, so for the most recent posts, go to the last page.

The XS1 is the currently shipping model, and Sharp have not announced anything about any smaller or cheaper upcoming LED models. Maybe they'll have something ready by IFA and CEDIA in september.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
The Sharp 52" LED HDTV was tested by Sound&Vision magazine last month and, like current LED models from Sony and Samsung, reviewers seem to be very/very impressed with their black level, gray-tracking accuracy and optimum color points as well as somewhat less impressed by their shadow detail; However all reviewers in general have commented on their poor viewing angle : anything wider than 15 degrees off center screen and the picture takes a tremendous hit in performance.

It it almost like these new sets have worse viewing angles than LCDs that use standard CCFLs for backlighting; I am now waiting for these magazines to do a side-by-side testing/comparison between LCDs lit by CCFLs and LEDs and arrive at an honest conclusion...

I would venture to say that Sharp (especially) as well as Sony/Samsung/LG, etc will have to do an assessment of their pricing structure on these new LED lit LCDs in view of Vizio's upcoming 55" LED HDTV with its incredible m.s.r.p. of only $2.000 !

·
Registered
209 Posts
Does anyone have any new release date/price information on the new Sharps with Blu-ray built in?

The press release indicates that the 32, 37 and 42 inch models are supposed to be out in January. So, with today being January 18th, I figure we must be very close to getting pricing details.

Anyone have any info?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't expect the LGs or Vizios to be too impressive even with the new specs they are including.. The new Sharp E series looks like it will be a more stable and improved version of 120hz current gen sets, plus it is cheap as hell. I just want to know what these LED sets will look like and expect them to be an improvement, which is why I am waiting and waiting. Samsungs right now are nice sets, but i'm not crazy about them for gaming off the xbox360 and hd looks quite grainy. I mentioned earlier I like a more "water like" picture quality that looks fluid and crisp. Hopefully Sharp will announce some new models later in the summer or next fall with LED, because Sony is too expensive and I am not crazy about Samsung picture quality even if they are the best bang for your buck today given price/features.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I just don't see Sharp going from making the most expensive LED LCD down to making one at a comparable price to Samsung's offering in the space of one year.

Like Sony, they've alligned themselves with RGB LED technology.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it seems like Sharp releases very few new models and upgrades new features extremely slowly :/ I was on their website and it is just a waste of web space.. no helpful info on future models or anything. I like their pricing, but may just wait on Samsung to get their next batch of LED models out after the 6/7/8 to work out the kinks and maybe cheaper series

1 - 11 of 11 Posts