AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had planned on doing a post advancing my theory that at $1729, the Sharp M10-S is the answer to the question "what to do while waiting for what I really want". But then I got so busy, sorry about that. I did buy one and actually I have been very pleased, the contrast ratio (800:1) is great, with a slight focus adjustment I see no pixels from 16 feet with an 8 foot wide picture. I'd like it to be a lot brighter, but all in all, it is a real pleasure. The color is great if you perform a few menu selections. I'm using it with a PC with DVD, there is a very, very significant difference between using the PC and the s-video. Can you use the s-video? Yes, that was my original plan, but it is quite smeary and I don't think most people would find it all that satisfactory. OK, my problem is that, as of just this evening, I turn the unit on, it lights the lamp, but in no time flat, it turns the lamp off and flashes the red LED at in 12 second cycle, which according to the manual means the lamp did not turn on (it did), either because I tried to turn it on too fast after turning it off (not the case) or because the lamp is dead (unlikely at 102 hours). Tomorrow I will contact Sharp, but just in case anyone knows something that can get me going, I'd love to hear from you. Naturally my girlfriend's family just arrived this morning from the other side of the world (literally) along with 24 DVD's all ready to watch some movies, it just could not have happened at another time, what fun would that be?

[This message has been edited by ttomj (edited 06-26-2001).]

·
Registered
693 Posts
The question that I have for you is where did you find one for under $1800? I've looked everywhere I can think of on the Net, and the cheapest I have found is $1928 through eCost.com.

Steve, I really wish I could have had the money to buy yours when you had it for sale.

------------------

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Take you out in the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones
The Cellar

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, this advise may have been just the thing. However, Sharp had me Fed Ex the thing to them, they are Fed Ex'ing me a loaner which I can use until mine is fixed. The loaner is supposed to arrive in 24 hours. Not bad if it really happens like that. They pay all shipping all directions.

About the $1729, actually, the price has gone up a bit since I bought mine. I got mine at Harmony Computers, and they are still the lowest shown on www.pricewatch.com (search M10S), but now the price is $1899. Seems strange, I already lost a soft drink bet that the price would drop back again quickly.

I still think this machine is the answer to the low cost temporary solution while waiting for the technology to settle a bit. That is assuming you have a PC you can slap a DVD into that you can use for that purpose. And you have to make your own ceiling bracket, but that is very easy to do, if anyone would like to know what I did, I can expound on that. I'm getting ready to do cruise to Alaska so I will be unavailable for a couple of weeks after the 4th, so I won't respond in that time frame.

One of the reasons this unit is acceptable to me is that I have a nice 50" Pioneer to watch Tivo on, this solves the problem that the s-video sucks and the lamp use is expensive. I reserve the projector just for concerts and movies on DVD or VCD. That let's me enjoy kick butt performances and impress my friends (lots of fun) while keeping the cost in line with what it is worth to me at the moment. When we have 1000:1 contrast, 4000 Lumen, 1286X768 projectors with remoted controlled presetable zoom positions with ideal video processing, no color wheel effects and 10000 hour bulbs that don't cost a fortune, then I'll be happy to turn loose some big bucks. But I'm just too careful with my money to spend $10K on something that won't be in the running two years from now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.