AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested to know what you think about these two projectors (I've narrowed down my search to these two), and which one you think is the best... to help me decide which one to get.

following is a list of advantages for each of them... Let me know if you have more.

Sharp M20X

- DVI input

- price (around $400 less)

- better brightness (1900 vs 1600)

- dot to dot projection mode

- less rainbow effect

NEC LT 240

- shorter throw lense

- better contrast (2000:1 vs 1000:1)

- better review on projectorcentral.com

- less noise (32/29 vs 37db)

- pcmcia port

thanks

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
These are both very watchable projectors but I prefer the LT240. The contrast on the LT240 is fantastic and the projector is virtually silent in eco mode. Luckily for me I have no problem with DLP projectors and rainbows. The Sharp really is a nice projector, however the NEC provides more saturated colors and better contrast. They are priced so close I would recommend the NEC.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I think you and Lenny have pretty much summed it up. I have an M20x and if the LT240 had a 3x wheel I don't think there would be much question about getting the LT240. The colors on the LT260 did look better to me than on the M20x when I saw it (less issues with red and probably wouldn't require a filter to correct this), but I hadn't even figured out how to see rainbows until I saw the LT260 (I didn't have to try other than difficult material with that one). Then I started seeing some on my M20x, almost as if my brain had been trained. It seemed like quite a few more people had issues with the 2x wheel on the X1 than on my M20x when we had a big shootout, and that seems to be the dividing line for me. I don't tend to recommend 2x machines much after those experiences and getting a headache with the X1. However, there are plenty of people here who haven't had any problems on 2x machines. Evan Powell at projectorcentral.com estimated that 20% of people see rainbows on 2x machines, but I have no idea of how accurate that is or how much it goes down when going to 3x (my gut feeling is that it goes down quite a bit with the 50% speed boost).

For some reason the contrast ratio on the LT260 didn't look better to a few of us than the M20x, but that might have been just the one LT260 or some settings that we hadn't figured out. We also didn't check out scaling issues, but it wouldn't surprise me if the scaler was better in the LT240/260 series. With the M20x I definitely prefer the HTPC image (especially with TheaterTek) to the image with the RP82.

I'm now up to 3 projectors once my HT1000 arrives, so I'll be selling the M20x at some point here and keeping the HT1000 and my M20 D-ILA.

There are also some owners who are very happy with the Mitsubishi XD300U, but I haven't seen it and projectorcentral.com reported that it also has a 2x wheel. There aren't a lot of owners of that one around here, but reports are no rainbows among those so far.

--Darin

·
Registered
237 Posts
I asked the same question a while ago, and even created a poll.

Majority of the people in favor of the M20X, see for yourself here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=m20x

Now I just need to save up money and find the a good online vendor to buy from. My local carrier doesn't price match online stores, and they're trying to sell it at around $2600, and would be $2800 after tax! Buying online would save a lot on the tax... he he....:D

·
Registered
370 Posts
It wasn't corrected. but the LT204 is NOT 2000:1. It IS 1300:1

I don't know know much about it, but i've seen mention of a colorwheel mod to projectors. Can this be done to the mx20? If so, would this not increase the contrast to beyond 1300:1 considering the higher lumens to begin with?

Can someone please give details and pictures of a colorwheel mod?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Ryan,

I wouldn't recommend the mod for the M20x. While it does decrease how visible the artifacts (like mosquito noise) are it also will preclude using the Presentation gamma setting without some issue. White sections in clouds and things won't have clean transitions in that mode because the projector doesn't know that using the white segment doesn't work. In Cinema mode I don't believe it uses the white segment although there is still some leakage in the normal case. I've seen a modded M20x and the reds are better, but I don't believe it is worth it.

Also, the CR won't come close to the specs with the mod, since that spec is only achievable while using the white segment. This is one reason that CR ratings for projectors with white segments are misleading.

Also, doing the mod could void your warranty and the great warranty is one of the advantages of the M20x. The M20x has a hotter bulb than the LT150 (the last top projector for modding) and the wheel spins faster, so having the mod material holdup is an issue.

For anybody considering getting an M20x and doing the mod I would suggest one of these others instead:

Mitsubishi LVP-1208 - About $900 more than the M20x from Japan, but 5x wheel and 2000:1 CR. Only 1024x576.

Optoma HS56

NEC HT1000

You'll get a more true high CR with any of these, although none of them will be as bright as an unmodded M20x is capable of being. Hard to say how the brightness levels would compare to a modded M20x.

--Darin

·
Registered
59 Posts
The NEC LT240 also has:

Sealed Optics(less dust problems)

DC ignitor-less lamp (less lamp problems)

3D reform (can project image at less than perfect throw angles)

2 vga/component inputs (no DVI though)

I don't get headaches while watching the LT240. I only see rainbows infrequently.

I really enjoy my NEC LT240.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your answers.

moses, I didn't know about the old thread... thanks.

regarding being able to project image with wierd angles, I thought the M20X could also do it?

is the "sealed optics" important? which other popular projector have it?

anything else to add in the comparison?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My vote is for M20X. I have it for about two months

and it is absolutely gorgeous (especially with a $20

filter color correction.) While you can easily fix

colors on M20X, you can't do much with color wheel

speed on LT240 (this is why I didn't buy it.)

Uther, you are quite wrong about DT200. It is NOT

the same projector as M20X, at all. DT200 has

just 600lumens and SVGA resolution. Aside from 5x color

wheel on DT200 (vs. 3x on M20X), M20X beats DT200 in

every feature. These three (LT240, DT200, M20X) were

highest on my purchase list, so I studied their specs

quite well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
brs1, what $20 filter color correction are you talking about?

throw lenght is a concern... but not the most important.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Let's clarify the LT240's contrast ratio. The currently manufactured model IS listed by NEC as 2000:1 NOT 1300:1. (Of course, I don't know how this effects the PJ when set for cinema with the white seqment turned off, nor how "scientifically" NEC measures this, BUT specs is specs!)

http://www.necvisualsystems.com/appl...Product_id=321

BTW, I love the PQ of my LT240 (as have others as well as Projector Central) -- but my decision is just that - mine. Let your eyes guide you. PJ's must be demoed, as difficult as that can be, not decided by specs.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dmichaelb
Let's clarify the LT240's contrast ratio. The currently manufactured model IS listed by NEC as 2000:1 NOT 1300:1. (Of course, I don't know how this effects the PJ when set for cinema with the white seqment turned off, nor how "scientifically" NEC measures this, BUT specs is specs!)

http://www.necvisualsystems.com/appl...Product_id=321

BTW, I love the PQ of my LT240 (as have others as well as Projector Central) -- but my decision is just that - mine. Let your eyes guide you. PJ's must be demoed, as difficult as that can be, not decided by specs.
You are both clarifying ... but neither noticed you are refering to different projectors. :D

Ryan was speaking of the 204 if I read his post correctly. Which is an older model NEC that could have the 1300:1 he is refering to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You correctly read what I believe is a typo. (There is/was no NEC LT204.)

The original LT240 had a 1300:1 contrast ratio specification; current models have a 2000:1 contrast ratio spec (I'm not certain of the manufacturing date the change occurred nor how the change was made -- i.e., actual change in product or a change in measurement.)

·
Registered
370 Posts
If I did get the 240, what is the best way to hook it to my HTPC?

I know its got vga and composite but no dvi. I'm just wondering if the VGA would be better than a VGA -> component cable.

Since my primary use of the PJ would be for HT using an HTPC would something with a DVI better suit me?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Do you mean "is VGA through an HTPC better than using a DVD player with component video on the LT240"? If so, then yes, the HTPC will be quite a bit better. Noticeably better, that I prefer to use an HTPC over a DVD player on the LT240. Although, that's not to say using a DVD player will look bad.

·
Registered
370 Posts
What I am saying is that I will only ever use a HTPC for playback of any kind. What I'm asking is ... Since I will be using a HTPC for all playback, should that make me opt for the Sharp over the 240 simply for the DVI factor?

The more I read about the sharp m20x and nec lt240 projectors, the more I lean toward the NEC with the higher contrast ratio and the little difference of the lumens. I also like the idea of the sealed optics with the NEC. The 260 is also looking nice with a bit higher lumens at 2100 and a bit less contrast at 1600:1. Is DVI a non issue? I think thats the only thing holding me back from getting the LT240/260.

I'm still extremely torn between these two projectors as you all can tell. I just saw that a BenQ that was just released last month looks like its going to be near the same price range and its looking nice but no one knows anything about it. :(

Keep in mind that I'm going from an Infocus lp130 with DVI at 1100 llumens and a 400:1 contrast ratio.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Ryan,

Are you in a hurry? I don't have any real information on this, but it sure seems like Sharp is due for an upgrade to the M20x. I think they started shipping in March of 2002, which is quite a long time to stay with one model. For someone who already has a projector it might make sense to wait and see. If Sharp does come out with a replacement and it also has a 3x wheel that might be a better choice than the 2x LT240. I think Infocom is the the 2nd week in June and maybe there will be some announcements of new models there.

--Darin

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.