AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at screens for a possible Sharp M20X buy. I was thinking along the lines of a 69" x 92". Does anyone have a screen of similar size? If so, how does the image look on the screen. I'm torn between this one and one of 60" x 80".

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
A lot of it depends on your material and distance from screen. If you are going to be watching mostly DVDs from a good player and HD then I would go with the 92" wide screen unless you can't sit at least 11' back from that. If you are going to be using an XBOX with 480p games then you may want to make the image a little bit smaller on the screen for that, but that can be done through the aspect control button. IMO the XBOX stuff for 480p isn't quite as clear as DVDs. The 720p and 1080i stuff from the XBOX looks awesome, though.

Also, if you are going to be watching IMAX films that are in 4x3 then they will almost all show a little lower image quality than major Hollywood film DVDs. Then you will probably want to sit closer to 2x the image width back. Same kind of thing goes for watching regular TV - this projector won't really be the limiting factor for screen size to viewing distance for that.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I have the 92" screen...I pretty much ordered the largest that UPS will ship normally.

It works great for film at around 11 feet+ as Darin pointed out. So-so for normal cable, fine for HDTV.

It also depends on the space you're working with...a 92" pretty much dominates my living room wall. Of course an 80" screen wouldn't be that much better but it might be easier to mitigate. :)

Regards,

Nigel

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi Nigel, what projector and what screen finish are you using on your 92" screen? I'm considering the same size or one step up to a 104" wide screen. I'm looking at the InFocus X1 and don't think anything larger would work and I don't want to go so big that the image quality is diminished or screendoor becomes an issue. I'll be sitting about 1.75-2x screen wide.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I have a M20X and have a DaLite Pearlescent screen. Its kind of an odd screen choice made back when I had my UP1100-T setup (around 500 lumens). I wanted the Hi-Power but thought I might ceiling mount and that wouldn't work as well. The Pearlescent is a reflective screen at around 1.5 gain. It does have some minor sparklies but is generally livable. I'm thinking about moving to the High Contrast Matte White (HCMW) but haven't bothered yet as I'm not sure I want the drop in gain. I can currently watch sports with lights on.

A year and a projector later its still on a table...could have gone with the retro-reflective Hi-Power after all.

Regards,

Nigel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.