AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my Sharp LCD a couple years back, it was considered a top brand. I haven't visited this forum until recently since I'm now looking for a replacement, but I'm surprised that Sharp is no longer listed in the same category as Sony and Samsung. Am I right that Sharp for whatever reason has dropped a notch? What happened?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,307 Posts
1-Sharp fell out of favor around here over a "banding issue" starting about 2 model years ago. Like so many of these issues it was probably way overblown and mountains were made out of molehills. As with current issues like buzzing Samsung plasmas and rising black levels on Panasonic plasmas all it takes is a few vocal complainers posting over and over to raise severe doubts among the sheep.


2-Sharp has been relatively slow to jump onto the bandwagon with such features as edge-lit LED backlighting, 240hz, internet widgets.


3-Sharp has pretty much refused to advertise outrageously and largely fictitious contrast ratios.


4-Sharp's advertising out there in the "real world" has been virtually nonexistent, as opposed to the media blitz put on by Samsung (which borders on fraudulent in the case of their led backlit sets) and to a lesser extent Sony and lately Vizio.


5-Although Sharp's high end models have always been pretty competitive with similarly priced models from the other two S brands they are hard to find in most big box stores and at Sears which seem to sell only low to midrange models.


I think you'll find that Sharp is far from 2nd tier when it comes to producing sets that perform as intended without some of the issues like poor HDMI implementation, 3 ball effect from frame interpolation, audio lag, excessive flashlighting and clouding. Reliability has seemed to remain top notch as well.


Their new 4 color panel looks very innovative and is actually going to be used by Sony in some of their high end sets. If it comes even close to living up to it's promise Sharp will once again get the respect they deserve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/18147104


...all it takes is a few vocal complainers posting over and over to raise severe doubts among the sheep...

This is certainly true but it gets worse than that. Throw in a few salivating contingency lawyers and you have people trying to use this forum to organize class-action lawsuits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18149248


I'll say Sharp has been reliable, I see very few of them.

Servicetech, I'm curious about how you rank the major brands in terms of most commonly having to be repair to least common


also do you repair plasmas as well or just LCD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/18147104


I think you'll find that Sharp is far from 2nd tier when it comes to producing sets that perform as intended without some of the issues like poor HDMI implementation, 3 ball effect from frame interpolation, audio lag, excessive flashlighting and clouding. Reliability has seemed to remain top notch as well.

Sharp uses their own proprietary panel technology, which produces lighter black levels than the *VA panels used by Sony and Samsung. That and the banding issue may well be the main factors in Sharp's decline in popularity. However, I seem to recall Sharp first started falling off when their LCDs became noted for dead and stuck pixels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 /forum/post/18149922


Sharp uses their own proprietary panel technology, which produces lighter black levels than the *VA panels used by Sony and Samsung. That and the banding issue may well be the main factors in Sharp's decline in popularity. However, I seem to recall Sharp first started falling off when their LCDs became noted for dead and stuck pixels.

yeah its called ASV short for Advanced Super View and its based on VA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18149762


Servicetech, I'm curious about how you rank the major brands in terms of most commonly having to be repair to least common


also do you repair plasmas as well or just LCD?

I repair ALL types of TV's. LCD, Plasma, DLP, CRT RPTV and even see the occasional Direct View CRT. Of the top 5, all are pretty good IMHO. They vary from year to year but Sony, LG, Sharp, Samsung and Panasonic are all neck to neck on reliability. Each year one may have an issue, but the next year another company will have an issue.


Vizio has a decent reliability track record BUT you can't get new part for them. All Vizio parts are refurbs from 3rd party supply houses, Vizio sells NOTHING in the way of parts and doesn't even have service manuals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18152839


I like SHARP, but they need to lower their prices. They whole LED crap, all the Samsungs have poor black levels, But SHARP always has good deep blacks.
WHAT! How can you say all Samsungs have poor black levels? Samsung is known for their deep blacks. What models have you seen poor black levels on, ones that were manufactured in or before 2007?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top