AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would think any projector or TV built today without some extraordinary built-in upgradeability, will be 'obsolete' by the new proposed HDT standard, which is why it will never fly, IMHO. Maybe just having a DVI is enough, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I don't think that DVI input will buy you anything.

The DVI/HDCP encryption-connection technology is apparently different than the conventional DVI computer input connection.

Moreover, DVI/HDCP is certainly not guaranteed to be the surviving encryption technology used with competing Firewire/DTCP and DFAST technologies also looming large.

And of course none of these are compatible with one-another, let alone with today's RGB/Y-PbPr DTV standards.

Only time will tell here, and I'm just going to enjoy what's available now, and shift from HD to DVDs-only if the electronic companies don't offer a backward compatible upgrade path.

-Dean.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
If I understand the principle involved, you can't buy anything that is compliant yet, or even upgradeable, unless it is a full-featured HDTV set without outputs. The only HDTV claiming such capability is the JVC D'ahlia.

Seperate receivers and projectors with DVI are individual components - and the rule is: No unencrypted digital transfer between components. The implication being, the projector must contain the decryption equipment. It would simply NOT BE POSSIBLE to utilize any existing projector or receiver for HDTV after the standard is implemented. There is little point in putting the relatively small tuner/demodulator circuitry in a seperate box and keeping the relatively complex decoder/decrypter in the projector - so what the standard mandates is really a receiver/projector with no HDTV outputs, which is a new class of component, and one I do not relish the thought of.

Do your part to fight this by buying all fully non-compliant equipment now, and scream to high heaven about the proposed standard. Finally, never never never buy a D'ahlia or any other compliant gear.

Gary

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does anybody have any opinions regarding what I've seen on this site concerning equipment obselescence due to changing HDTV standards with specific respect to the new Sharp XV-Z9000?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.