AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a choice between two HDTV LED sets, a Sharp Aquos LED LE700 52" HDTV or a Sony Bravia XBR8 LED HDTV? The Sony is around $1500, but I've mostly been a Sharp fan-boy, which HDTV is actually better? Thanks

·
Banned
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDN01 /forum/post/17030771

So I've got a choice between two HDTV LED sets, a Sharp Aquos LED LE700 52" HDTV or a Sony Bravia XBR8 LED HDTV? The Sony is around $1500, but I've mostly been a Sharp fan-boy, which HDTV is actually better? Thanks

Sony XBR8 - Best LCD television yet!!!

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDN01 /forum/post/17030771

A Sony XBR8 for $1500 is clearly a no-brainer (46" and even more so the the 55") if you want an LCD. It's terrific and will suffice until drastically better technology is on the market, like OLED for example.

Also: This Sharp has LEDs but no local dimming, AFAIK, so it isn't really comparable tech-wise. A fair comparison for the XBR8 would be the Samsung A950 or some of the new local dimming sets from LG and Toshiba.

bye

Benny

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDN01 /forum/post/17031207

But doesn't the Sharp have a 10-Bit processing thingy that makes it comparable to local dimming? So that they don't need local dimming?

yes it does.... very good blacks and very good shadow detail...

have you compared these two side by side?

Boky

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDN01 /forum/post/17031207

But doesn't the Sharp have a 10-Bit processing thingy that makes it comparable to local dimming? So that they don't need local dimming?

No, 10-bit-processing and local dimming are two completely different features.

Thanks to "local dimming" such a set is able to control the backlight brightness differently in different parts of the panel. With this feature the set is able to display both very bright and very dark sections/elements at the same time. The reason for the invention of local dimming is that the LCD mask can't block light completely and it is better to not generate light in the first place (hence "dimming").

The 10-bit-processing feature on the other hand is one of the defining factors of color fidelity and accuracy. What happens is that the video processor calculates the color values with a higher precision than a set with only 8-bit-processing.

Both sets would operate in the same range of values, though, so you won't get brighter or darker shades with 10-bit-processing. You may get - depending on the source material - more finely nuanced shades, though.

Those two features aren't mutually exclusive - in fact there are sets that offer both local dimming and 10-bit-processing, like for example the Sony XBR8 and the Samsung A950.

bye

Benny

·
Banned
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDN01 /forum/post/17035414

So I'm either going for the Sharp E77 or Sony XRB8

Dude, just choose the Sony XBR8. You can get it for such a cheap price - and when it was released... that was going for thousands more.

The Sony XBR8 is clearly the TOP LCD ever produced so far - nothing from Sharp that has or will be released would surpass the XBR8. Same goes for many other TV manufacturers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts