AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this toy last week as part of my 40 year reward and recognition package. That's my explanation, my spouse thinks of it as a mid-life crisis. Whatever works.

Anyway my previous experience had been with the company's NEC VT540. Since the M20X had so much better specs (Lumens, contrast, DLP) but was almost the same cost i thought i'd try it. Note only the 20X-A is roughly equivalent in price, and only becasue it seems it was the first run of this line and didn't acheive the projected lumens so went on clearance sale.

Got it set up in the middle of the living room surrounded by computer, gamecube, AT&T cable and DV camera. 2 feet off floor 10 feet from 4x7 grey painted piece of plywood. Cable night-mare, but that's not the projectors fault. This room has 4 windows on 2 walls beside so performance in strong ambient light was a concern.

My impressions are very good so far. It can handle TV after school for kids with sun coming in just some loss of contrast. Night time DVD on the computer is just astounding, same as the NEC was. Great features include Gamma control to rapidly switch between game mode (brighten rainy scenes in FIFA 2000), standard mode (computer) and cinema mode (great color and contrast for night time DVD). So far i'm leaving it in low power mode most of the time, but if i can figure out the layout and larger screen i'll need it i think. Another usefull surprise is PIP. We use it when kids or wife are watching a show but we need to check e-mail or internet.

Anyway, so far so good, if you we're considering one, i'd say go for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've never seen rainbows, but no no side effects. i have i've got to get to about 3 feet away to see screen door. from the postings I've read, that seems pretty good. could be just me though. You can sit anywhere on the floor between the couch and the screen and have a blow you away wide screen view.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
How's the noise level. Its rated at 37db which isn't too good or too bad for that matter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, its pretty loud. When at first I had it on the coffee table in front of the couch with speakers by the screen it was definately distracting. now that its behind and to the side of the couch it is bearable, but I'm thinking i need a hush box.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It will get here sometime Wen.

I excited.

What signals and types of cables are you guys feeding yours. I need to pick up 15' what evers so I can play on Wen.

I'm shooting for a 9' wide 4:3 or 16:9 screen.

please post some feedback.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You guys are making me really upset! If I only had the cash one would be heading my way too...

Keep posting your experiences with this projector; with over 300 hits now, there's quite a few folks keenly interesting in your outcome.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
mzk4c3

If you want to run a progressive scan DVD Player, which in my opinion is the required minimum for good image quality with this projector you will need a component video to female VGA cable. This will connect with the supplied DVI to analog VGA cable that is packaged with the projector. Don't forget to tell the projector that it is receiving a component video signal or it will show your image green. The PQ for DVD using S-Video in is below average, but with progesssive scan DVD it is excellent making this projector the biggest sleeper on the market today. It should be noted that Sharp has eliminated the typical DLP border on this projector.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
571 Posts
Is anybody running this projector with an HD source? If so, what are your impressions?

Also, if the projector is in 16:9 mode, is there a mode to display a 4:3 source formatted in a 16:9 window or do I have to rely on the input source for this?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
HD on this projector looks very good, but like all XGA projectors the lack of resolution limits the detail in the picture. This projector will window 4:3 material within a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
HD on this projector looks very good, but like all XGA projectors the lack of resolution limits the detail in the picture.
I am very impressed watching the PBS HD demo loop on my 17" PC monitor with the resolution set to 1024x768 (obviously using a 1024x576 letterbox window within that), so I am sure I would be equally impressed on an XGA projector. Any higher resolution is great, but it's not within my willing price range right now. I'll wait a year until the prices come down.

Quote:
This projector will window 4:3 material within a 16:9 aspect ratio.
Excellent! I suppose this means there shouldn't be any limitations to using a 16:9 screen?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You can use a 16:9 screen with no problem. HD looks very good on an XGA projector, however on a SE Cinema 13HD with 1366x768 resolution it looks spectacular.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leckian
You can use a 16:9 screen with no problem. HD looks very good on an XGA projector, however on a SE Cinema 13HD with 1366x768 resolution it looks spectacular.
Lenny, I'm sure it does. But there's 2 or 3 more dollars involved in the purchase :rolleyes:

·
Registered
571 Posts
According to Projector Central, the 13HD has an MSRP of $4999 (compared to the Sanyo equivalent at $8995). I am surprised I do not hear more of these Boxlight projectors. I am now adding it to my list of candidates. The Sanyo was never a consideration because of the price, but the Boxlight is more reasonable.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Since these projectors are being sold at a reduced price because they did not meet the 1900 lumen spec they will be unavailable once the current supply is exhausted and the the price of the 1900 lumen projector will be much more. There was one production run and there will be no more. For those wanting to spend around $3K this is a phenomenal projector and a great value. For DVD it can compete with any projector on the market.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
454 Posts
hello sir, thanks for the input.

I will go out and get a progressive DVD player, any suggestions?

PJ should arrive tommorow.

I think I'll start out slow will old DVD player S-Video. Starting from there if everything looks as good as my 7yr old RPTV at 120" shot against a wall, then I'm happy. It can and will only get better from there.

I'm really not sure how to put a PJ through a good test, any suggestions???

For less than $2,640 with two day shipping, how can you go wrong with all of these features.

Anyone considering this PJ, you really need to read the manual. this PJ has alot of cool features.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
mzk4c3

I was not happy at all with the results using S-Video input and would have rejected this projector based on this setup. Because I found the difference between S-Video in and Progressive Scan to be so significant I would urge you to reconsider your approach. Most folks on this forum like the low priced and highly regarded Panasonic RP56 now the RP62 for inexpensive progressive scan player, but in my tests I have found the Toshiba SD 3750/4700/5700 to be superior.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
jmmammcabe,

Thanks for the post! This seems like a great projector for the money!

mzk4c3,

Where did you get yours for $2,640 with two day shipping???? I checked on Projector Central's website, and they show it for more than that...

To all others,

Here are the specs from Projector Central's Website:

Manufacturer Specifications

MSRP (USD) : $ 4,395

Brightness (Lumens) : 1900 ANSI

Contrast: ANSI: 800:1.......Full On/Off: 1000:1

Weight: 5.8 lbs.

Size (inches) (HxWxD) : 3.3 x 8.6 x 12.5

Throw Dist (feet) : 5.2 - 39.7

Image Size (inches) : 40.0 - 300.0

Lens: Focus: Manual

Zoom: Manual, 1.2:1

Optional Lenses: No

Digital Zoom: No

Keystone Correction: Fixed

Lens Shift: No

Compatibility: HDTV: 1080i,720p

EDTV/480p: Yes

SDTV/480i: Yes

Component Video: Yes

Video: Yes

Digital Input: Yes

Personal Computers: Yes

Warranty: 3 Years

Lamp: Type: 210WSHP

Life: 2000 hours

Quantity: 1

Display: Type: 0.7" DLP (1)

Native: 1024x768 Pixels

Maximum: 1600x1200 Pixels

Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (XGA)

Performance:

H-Sync Range: 15.0 - 126.0kHz

V-Sync Range: 43 - 200Hz

Pixel Clock: 230 MHz max

Speakers: 2.0W Mono

Max Power: 290W

Voltage: 100V - 240V

Audible Noise: 37.0 dB

Special: Special Warranty

First Ship: Mar 2002

Comments: Includes 2 year Sharp "ER" Express Repair service

This projector is manufactured by Sharp "PG" Series.

Mike

·
Registered
454 Posts
I started calling the list of dealers under current street price.

The MSRP never is the real price unless the manufactor had it under price control like microsoft or Bose.

The loset posted price was around $2,895 and I cept calling asking if they would meet or bet it.

The last place I called said if I offer it to you at $2,600 would you buy now?

Of course I didn't, but I once again checked the others and everyone else said thats a great deal, you better buy, so then I did.

I have the emails at work, but I think its the last listed store under current street price.

I should get the projector this afternoon and I post the email address.

For those of you who find the site, lets all buy from the same guy. maybe He'll give us a brake on some cables or somthing on the next order if we refer someone.

Wade

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.