AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Forgive my stupidity.  I am confused as to the difference between the new Sharp Q Plus "SQ" and "UQ" designations.  Do they both accept 4K content or is only the UQ version capable of that.

If both accept 4k, what is the basic reason for the increased cost of the UQ sets?  (I do see that the UQ versions claim an incrased brightness.)  Anything else.

Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the difference is, if you get the SQ you'll aways be wondering in the back of your mind if you should have bought the UQ, and if you get the UQ, you'll soon be thinking 'why did I pay so much for a not-quite 4K' set when I should have just bought the 'SQ'.

Seriously, as you have noted, I think the increased LED backlight is the biggest difference, the bezel material (aluminum on the UQ) and the stands are also different, but for a 'bridging' tech TV, it's a tough up sell in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
 according hdguru the UQ Series have all the SQ Series features and add:

- THX certification

- Super bright technology

- AquoMotion 960 with 240Hz Panel

- Active 3D with two Bluetooth 3D glasses supplied

- Titanium brushed solid aluminum bezel

- 4 HDMI inputs (4K ready) and 2 USB ports

- 15W Subwoofer

·
Registered
15,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13  /t/1522643/sharp-q-plus-uq-versus-sq#post_24486023

according hdguru the UQ Series have all the SQ Series features and add:

- THX certification

- Super bright technology

- AquoMotion 960 with 240Hz Panel

- Active 3D with two Bluetooth 3D glasses supplied

- Titanium brushed solid aluminum bezel

- 4 HDMI inputs (4K ready) and 2 USB ports

- 15W Subwoofer

In addition to this list (out of which I would probably consider the Super bright technology to the be the most significant technology difference, the UQ has a 'CR' of 12,000,000:1 versus the SQ which is 8,000,000:1. So before finalizing my decision, I would want to understand what this 150% CR of the UQ (versus SQ) translates into in terms of dark-room viewing and shadow detail.

If it just means the UQ can be 50% brighter than the SQ but once the backlight is dimmed down to match the SQ, shadow detail, black level and dark contrast are identical, the SQ looks like a much better deal...

But if the UQ truly provides an improved image for dark-room viewing, that would be another thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.