Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to go if I was in CA. Can you ask the following please-

-What exactly will the RRP be for replacement lamps.

-Is the optional cover for the Sharp 9000 available in the US?

-A reviewer stated that by passing the internal scaler was possible via the SharpVision CDRom that ships with the projector. He said you can create a custom 1:1 pixel mapping of 1280x720 so you could use a Faroudja NR or a HTPC thus eliminating the Sharp scaler. Is this or is it not the case?

-There is also is a report on solarization problems with PAL signals. The European version teh XV-Z9000E will apparently come with updated firmware to fix this problem. Will this firmware also be available either via the net or via Sharp to update and fix this problem on the US XV-Z9000U?

Thanks and have fun http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Spero D.

[This message has been edited by Spizz (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
491 Posts
Great questions Spizz!

Also Norde, could you find out if the Z9000 has separate (local) memories for each input for picture adjustments, color temp, and gamma, or is all or any a global setting. Or does it even have a separate memory for each input signal (one for 480/60i, one for 480/60p, one for 576/50p etc), even if they appear on the same input, much like the 10HT.

Also, aspect ratios are changed by using a toggle button on the remote, but is there a discrete code for each aspect ratio? This is the kind of question your typical dealer should be able to answer http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
110 Posts

Two items:

1) Short throw option?

2) Confirm the use of the Native Rate. If the CD is only for configuring the HTPC, the NR may not function. Or find out if they are working with Faroudja to tweak the NR for compatibility.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
565 Posts
LaserLand Home Theater in San Jose has announced that SharpVision Representatives will be available on September 28 (6pm.-9pm.) and September 29 (1PM. - 5pm.) to presumably discuss this projector. All SharpVision products are also on sale.

Any suggested questions for a non-techie to pose?
http://www.laserlandhometheater.com/home.htm

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went to the showing, but the guy was not that technical...very salesy :-( HOWEVER I had bought one two weeks before and probably convinced two people that it was a great projector.

Here is what I can answer from use and the manuals:

1) Local setting for each seperate input but not for multiple inputs to the same connection...too bad as I switch from my receiver.

2) There are a list of discreate codes in the manual that list the aspect ratio as discreate commands, however I think these are only for hardwired RS-232 commands, not IR, but I am investigating.

3) The scaler seems to turn itself off it you have progressive inputs or if you have 1081i inputs.

4) He said the bulbs will likely be about $500, from andrews...I think.

Note:

They had it with a 2.5 gain screen...man the image just screamed, and the contrast still did not seem to bad...amazing. They even turned the lights up a bit and it sill looked great. The HDTV golf and baseball was amazing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ronny T:

I was wondering if you did any comparisons with the Seleco HT200DM (or HT300) before you settled in on the Sharp? I was all set to plunk down $14K for the HT300 untill hearing all the recent rave reviews for the Sharp XV-Z9000.

Do you know what the brightness rating is for this projector? I know the contrast rating is supposedly 1,100:1. How loud is it in your opinion? Is it noticible during soft movie scenes or during transition from dark to light scenes? Lastly, do you have a HDTV hook up? If so I'd like to know which tuner (RCA, Sony, Mitsubishi or what) you feel works best with this projector.

I'm planning a HT with Draper Access Sonata Series V with multiple aspect ratio masking; I also was planning to go with their M2500 surface, so I was happy to read your opinion of the 2.5gain screen you saw. Thanks for your input.

Dr D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ronny is right. The most technical information that mattered seemed to come from a LaserLand employee. The rep talked alot of technical video stuff but not much relating to the specific projector on display.

In general the projector looked great in my eyes, which, I am happy to say, have never seen a rainbow effect. They were using the new "Driven" DVD for a demo straight from a Panasonic H2000 DVD player in 480p. No external scaler. Good test disk, lots of reds and blacks. The Sharp rep. stated that this expensive player really helped the XV-Z9000 to look good. Not exactly what I would have said if I worked for Sharp as a rep.

As a 400Q owner, this was the first projector I have seen that seemed to be worth trading up for. It's throws seem comparable to the 400Q, at least in my case. I particularly liked the menus. Very detailed; esay to use; and small enough not to obliterate the picture. They had everything set at zero, so there was a lot of room for adjustment either way. While the picture looked good in ambient, or more, light, it really shone in almost complete darkness.

No one semed to know what the screen gain really was when I was there. They didn't seem to think it was as high as 2.5.

To respond to previously posted questions:

Cost of replacement bulbs were qoted by the Laserland person at $399 and the Sharp rep at $599. Who knows? 2,000 hour life. Cheaper than a CRT tube as the rep pointed out.

No optional cover available in US.

No one knew anything about the CDRom or Native Rates.

Ditto PAL.

The projector has a separate memory, perhaps more than one, for each input.

No short throw lens currently available.

I have a very restricted through the wall space for a projector. I have a space 7 3/4" high, with large vent holes above. The manual says it's 7 1/2" high. If I can get enough air around it, I'll get one. Vent holes underneath maybe. I see elsewhere that this projector runs hot.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Norde for the answers. I hope the bulbs are the $399 price. How and why did they quote differently? Did one say $399 and the other said no its $599?

Spero D.

·
Registered
565 Posts
No. It was separately about an hour apart. I forgot to clarify. LaseLand doesn't usually discount that much.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Norde,

Can you please elaborate on the differences between your 400Q to the Sharp, in terms of contrast, color and black level. Would you say that the Sharp is a significant improvement over the 400Q? How would you compare the Sharp to a 10HT?

Thank's

Ran

·
Registered
498 Posts
Norde,

Thanks for your reply.

"By the way, the Sharp rep said that they would replace the 9000 if any dead pixels (mirrors?) showed up in the first year. I will miss my green pixel on the 400Q, but not that much."

This is a total surprise for me. I didn't realize DLP has dead pixels, or even worse, they could suddenly show up!

Lcd does have a problem with dead pixels, But the situation stays exactly the same. If you receive a projector with 0 dead pixels that's the way it's going to stay, at least from my understanding and experience

Re the 10HT, sadly there is a misconception over here relating to this projector, I will take the time to write about it, and it's ability to produce an excellent picture.

Ran

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ran:

Norde,

This is a total surprise for me. I didn't realize DLP has dead pixels, or even worse, they could suddenly show up!

Lcd does have a problem with dead pixels, But the situation stays exactly the same. If you receive a projector with 0 dead pixels that's the way it's going to stay, at least from my understanding and experience
With over a million tiny mirrors physically moving it certainly is possible that some will fail, but failure rate is very low and tiny compared to LCD. With Sharp saying they will replace them in the first year is suggesting that they are pretty certain failure rate will be very low - which is great.

Funny that Sim2 recently said the same thing and actually said none of their competitors were offering this guarantee.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
By the way, the Sharp rep said that they would replace the 9000 if any dead pixels (mirrors?) showed up in the first year.p
Greeat information and support Sharp. Thanks.

Spero D.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Quote:
The scaler seems to turn itself off it you have progressive inputs or if you have 1081i inputs.
with a 480P input and a 1080I input the scaler is required in order to dither the image to match the 1280 x 720 pixel-ratio of the chip.

Only a pure 1280 x 720 signal would have a chance at bypassing the image and still fill the full panel properly.

-dave

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ran:

The 9000 was certainly a marked improvement in all three areas you mention. I bought my 400q three years ago and use a 80" diameter 16:9 1.0 gain screen. I can acheive complete darkness in my room. I have been looking for an upgrade for a couple of years now. Not so much because I am disatisfied with the 400q, but because if it breaks, very few other projectors will produce the same throw for my room and screen.

The demo I saw was on a 106" + or - diameter wide screen. The 9000 on a smaller screen would be even more awesome. I saw the new "Driven" DVD in the Sharp demo. I bought it, came home and immediately looked at the same scenes, lots of reds and blacks and crowd scenes, on the 400q. Far more detail on the Sharp. Everything better - perhaps in part due to the progressive display. In general even more filmlike than the 400Q.

I have seen the 10HT at CES and Infocomm and while it was OK it did not make me want to go to the trouble and expense of an upgrade. I'm not a black freak, but I thought the 10HT was a little weak in that respect, although I have never seen it under optimum conditions.

This Sharp has made me want to upgrade. Alas this means a new progressive DVD player and probably a component switching amplifier and a new HDTV tuner. Ah well.

By the way, the 400q still amazes me with its HDTV display. If I were watching that alone I would not upgrade yet. Its DVD performance is important to me.

By the way, the Sharp rep said that they would replace the 9000 if any dead pixels (mirrors?) showed up in the first year. I will miss my green pixel on the 400Q, but not that much.

[This message has been edited by Norde (edited 10-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Norde (edited 10-01-2001).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.