AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI The CD ROM for the Sharp XV-Z9000U contains PDF files in multiple languages for the Sharp Vision Manager. It also has the Sharp Vision Manager program that allows Gamma correction for RBG and White input and output levels. It seems that in other threads in this forum that there is a belief that there is software to adjust the video resolution and other display features via the RS 232 port. There is no documentation of this feature nor is there any option within the Sharp Vision Manager to allow this to occur.

On page E-56 of the manual there is a Computer Comparability Chart that matches H and V scan frquencies to the various computer display resolutions of VGA, SVGA, XGA, and SXGA. Each resolution is matched with either the Upscale or Advanced Intelligent Compression display modes.

I do not have a HTPC but it appears that most of the identified display resolutions match the resolutions of present my video display and drivers.

Perhaps someone has interfaced a HTPC with the Sharp and can describe their experience with the VGA input.

Until then I hope this clarifies the content of the Sharp's CD Rom content.

[This message has been edited by JNR (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
You must be close to setting up your Sharp? I'm amazed you can reframe yourself from pulling it out of the box and projecting on the wall somewhere http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif The CDRom wouldn't also happen to have the instruction booklet on it by chance for the Sharp 9000?

Spero D.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I remember the thread. the reviewer stated that by passing the internal scaler was possible via this disc. He said you can create a custom 1:1 pixel mapping of 1280x720 so you could use a Faroudja NR or a HTPC thus eliminating the Sharp scaler.

From what you are saying this is not possible with this disc from what you can see. I still would find it hard to believe thay would make this mistake but stranger things have happened. Remember the Sony 10HT.

Have to wait and see once someone with a 1280x720 NR or a HTPC tries this out.

DavidW

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I remember the thread. The reviewer stated that bypassing the internal scaler was possible via this disc. He said you can create a custom 1:1 pixel mapping of 1280x720 so you could use a Faroudja NR or a HTPC thus eliminating the Sharp scaler.

From what you are saying this is not possible with this disc? At least from what you can see. I still would find it hard to believe thay would make this mistake but stranger things have happened. Remember the Sony 10HT.

The lack of DVI is also a big let down as Sharp are aware of DVI.

Have to wait and see once someone with a 1280x720 NR or a HTPC tries this out.

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hi Spizz, Sorry the user's manual is not on the CD.

Cam, Thanks for the input information about the composite and VGA ports.

It appears that a HTPC is in my future if I need to preprocess the video signal. That decision will be made after I see my system up and running with satellite feeds and a Rotel RDV 1080.

Thanks

JNR

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use a 1280x720 NR, and the projector has no problem to accept 720p on either the 5x RCA and VGA input.

Cam

·
Registered
491 Posts
Tony-V in his translation of Andy’s review from IFA 2001, where technicians from the manufacturer were present, reported that the projector can be driven with full resolution over its VGA (HD 15) input, although the Sharpness control will be disabled.

·
Banned
455 Posts
I have just received the SharpVision Manager software, and can confirm what has been posted here--it's for gamma only, and has no provision to set custom resolutions.

This contradicts what I was told by Sharp. I'll see if I can contact anyone knowledgable there about this, to see what the procedure is to create a 1280x720 custom resolution, in order to do correct pixel mapping via HTPC.

Best,

Pat

·
Registered
364 Posts
In the projector manual, there is a section which describes the detailed interface using RS232C, with table listing the message content for setting each projector setting, there are all sort of parameters you can set (almost like using its remote), but I haven't found a setting for 1:1 mapping. I think to utilize these commands, you have to use programs liked Hyperterm to send and view the response (it will come back with ERR or OK as mentioned in the manual).

I have however come across a aspect control setting using the remote where it has an option to select "Dot by Dot". I believe that's when I feed a PAL TV source through the projector's VGA port, and the resolution is 800x600. Using normal aspect ratio, it displays full height ie. 720, but choosing "dot by dot" (1:1), the height shrinks to about 600, and the width also to about 800.

Strangely though, with NTSC 720p source, it doesn't have this option. (I don't need it anyway)

Cam

[This message has been edited by cam (edited 09-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by cam (edited 09-28-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.