Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I’ve been reading the AVSforum for some time now and am no closer to deciding what I should do so I thought I’d post.

I’ve read just about everything I can find here and on several other forums and have complied a lot of conflicting information.

I have a Sharp XV-Z12000 for my soon to be built HT. I was going to go with a Stewart Firehawk 110†MicroPerf screen. However, after days of reading I’m no closer to deciding if this is a good idea or not. I’ve read about the lower lumens with the 12000 in high contrast mode and the light loss of 10% with the MicroPerf Firehawk, I’ve read about moiré being an issue but some say only with screens under certain widths, some say all screens with DLP/HD2 chips.

I’d like the best looking screen for this projector. The room is dedicated HT so light is tightly controlled. I received an email today from Stewart (inside sales department) stating that it was a very high risk with DLP projectors, yet from my reading here many people are doing just fine at 110†with DLP. The answer I got from Stewart seemed somewhat “canned†since I’ve read that if I give my throw, screen size and projector Stewart can give me a good idea of the moiré beast raising its head.

I’m going with Triad Silver for speakers and really wanted the center behind the screen, but if moiré is a huge possibility (with things like this I’m not very lucky), I guess placing the speaker above the screen is my only possibility.

Projector Sharp XV-Z12000

Screen: 110†Firehawk (to microperf or not is the question)

Throw: Room is 20’4†deep so, I’m pretty flexible.

Lighting: controlled. Dedicated HT room

Any advice?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Clint,

You are right at the screen size where moire may be noticeable with a 1280x720 DLP projector and a Stewart microperf. It has been a while since I have tested a HD2 projector on my Stewart microperf. I will be testing a HD2+ DLP this Sunday and will try to make a point of seeing at what screen size moire becomes noticeable. At your screen size you may also wish to consider Screen Research screens, however, their white ClearPix2 material has a gain of 0.95 which may not be high enough for you.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Clint-

I too have the 12000 and am considering the 110" Firehawk microperf. I'm going over to a fellow forum member's house Monday night with the Sharp in tow to try it out on his microperf Firehawk. His screen is larger than 110" D so I will be able to zoom down to 110" to see if there are any problems. I'm interested to hear about Scott's testing this weekend too.

Kirk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a Sharp 10K and am going to get the 12K soon. I have a Draper Premier 1.3 gain and the screen is 131 x 77.

I use the high brightness mode and use a Samsung HD-931.

The picture is outstanding and just the correct brightness for me. Everyone that I have over is blown away with the entire experience.

I am going to be building a dedicated 25 seat theater and will seriously consider a 2 foot larger screen.

In my opinion, you won't be sorry with your screen size.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott: I've looked at the SR Clearpix screens and the low gain does concern me, especially after some reading on this forum that I should use at least a 1.3 gain screen. Otherwise I had thought I'd found the "magic bullet" for my issues.

Scott and Kirk: Can't wait to hear how your tests come out and what you notice or don't notice.

Tim: Glad to hear you like Samsung, I ordered the same DVD player. Do you have hooked it up via DVI? A 25 seat theater? wow... that would be nice. Must be one large room.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Clint,

I have a sample of the ClearPix2 material. I was expecting a cloth fabric and it is actually a woven vinyl fabric. Very interesting. Did you see a projected image on the Screen Research screen, and if so, did you notice the texture?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Clint,

Yes, I have the Hd-931 hooked-up through the DVI. It's really the only way to go.

Actually, I will be building the theater. The room will probably be no smaller than 25 x 40.

Enjoy the Sammy DVD player!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.