AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sharp has just announced their latest home theater projector, the XV-Z15000, a 1080p unit using a .65" DMD with 30,000:1 Contrast Ration, 1600 lumens and a $2,999 price tag. Availability listed in March.

Here is the link to Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/07/s...tor/#continued

There is a motorized iris, no mention of whether it is dynamic or not, I would guess not from the press release. If it has a sealed light path (I don't see why it wouldn't) then I'll be very tempted upon it's release.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Wow , very interesting , thought Sharp was done with HT PJ's ... it's an ugly bugger though , looks very business class to me .

- Jason

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brian C. from planar alluded to the existence of a smaller 1080p chip in the threads related to the planar viper dlp(a 3chip)

correction .65" not .56"

·
Registered
7,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan /forum/post/15489389

30,000:1 dynamic contrast.

0.65" DMD, must be wobulated like the RPTVs? The current 1080p DMDs are 0.95"

I doubt that its wobulated since TI has always claimed its not suitable for Front Projectors using large screens. Probably just a new generation of 1080p DMD. Also the TI press release says is has full native resolution of 1920 x 1080, and as I recall they don't use this language for the wobulated RPTVs, which use DMDs with a native resolution of 960 x 1080.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Very interesting. The xv-z nomenclature would leave me to believe that it would be in the same class as the 12000mkII and 20000. The case is sure different. Guess we will have to see what the performance is like!

·
Registered
12,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/15490061

I doubt that its wobulated since TI has always claimed its not suitable for Front Projectors using large screens. Probably just a new generation of 1080p DMD. Also the TI press release says is has full native resolution of 1920 x 1080, and as I recall they don't use this language for the wobulated RPTVs, which use DMDs with a native resolution of 960 x 1080.

Right Ti intoduced a smaller less priced full 1080p chip. Optoma has one coming out at CES, same deal under 3k with high contrast. The Optoma uses Ti's new dynamic black (auto Iris) for DLP's. Should be interesting I want one.
The Optoma has a larger platform and vertical lens shift, not a huge shift but enough to make setup easier.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/15489371

Wow , very interesting , thought Sharp was done with HT PJ's ... it's an ugly bugger though , looks very business class to me .

- Jason

Looks a lot like a Sanyo 2000.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Just when it seemed like dlp wasn't making any progress they come out and do something like this........and totally redeem themselves!

This sounds very interesting indeed. I really liked the 12000 MKII. Now just imagine having the dynamic iris closing down really small during low light scenes. With the MKII, it's high contrast fixed iris position produced 4,500:1 contrast, but had to stay open enough so that the peak white level wouldn't be too low. With the dynamic iris, it could close down really small, and possibly hit 10,000:1 in that iris position, yet open up for higher ire scenes for full brightness.

If Sharp implements the DI very well, this could be an amazing projector.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I have been so completely satisfied with my Sharp Z3000, a 720P DLP PJ, I didn't even bother to upgrade to a 1080p PJ. That is about to change. This is indeed a good news.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jason Turk reports that this is projector appears to be an OEM piece (presumably from Infocus) with a large offset. As has been speculated elsewhere, that large offset must be why there is such a point of emphasis on the keystone adjustment available on the projector. But that also means that it's probably every bit the 1600 lumens claimed at its brightest setting since Infocus projectors have never been short of brightness.

The Optoma HD8200 is priced at $5000 according to HT Mag. The HD808 will be $3500, but it says no Dark Chip 3, which is strange, as I'd think they'd use the same chip if the new 1080p chip by TI is more affordable (and should be Dark Chip 4 I would imagine).

Jason Turk CES Day 1 Impressions: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1106276

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I see that Amazon says they have one in stock. With what looks like a small lens and the .65" chip I wonder how sharp it will be. I'm also curious about the on/off CR claim and whether it really has a dynamic iris, or whether they are doing something like measuring white with the iris open and black with the iris closed down even without a DI. I'm not curious enough to buy one, but will be interested to see what people find out when more of these get out there.

--Darin

Reactions: Ericglo

·
Registered
252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/16164160

I see that Amazon says they have one in stock. With what looks like a small lens and the .65" chip I wonder how sharp it will be. I'm also curious about the on/off CR claim and whether it really has a dynamic iris, or whether they are doing something like measuring white with the iris open and black with the iris closed down even without a DI. I'm not curious enough to buy one, but will be interested to see what people find out when more of these get out there.

--Darin

Yes, not bad price for the specs (2070$). http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-XVZ15000.../dp/B001RIYOLU

Anyone ordered one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same idea of upgrading from Z3000 to Z15000
I want the Full HD feeling, much less noise (Z3000 is too loud), 24p AND hopefully still better contrast & brightness when calibrated!??? I guess as a DLP projector the Z15000 should still have the limited color space (esp. green)

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a shop selling the projector in Europe so far... So I am very interested in reviews from some lucky forerunner in the US

1 - 20 of 196 Posts