AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know this is not a current projector, but it was considered a higher end projector several years ago. I would like to fix the problem, if possible and reasonable, and not purchase a new one. But if the cost to refurb outweighs the purchase price of a used (or new) projector, then I guess I will have to go that route. Just trying to learn from the collective knowledge here.

Last night I heard a pop and the fan hum noise changed. Picture was fine, but I could smell a hint of burned something. Kept it on for several minutes and the picture stayed good, but continued with the louder fan noise. Tried it today and the picture is washed out colorwise and splotchy (for lack of a better term). I tried another lamp and the problem did not change. Any ideas or suggestions? Would it make sense to send it to a refurb location or is that throwing good money after bad?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Mine just did the same thing a while back ,sounds like the glass color wheel broke.the pop was because it flung glass and hit inside the projector (it was spining fast and is now out of balance hence the hum).The bulb is now shining thru a broken stuck color wheel.Sharp directed me to a auth. service center and the price for the part is 300$ and they say they can order it.

It can be found online

google this,

Sharp Color Wheel and Motor Assembly for Model XV-Z2000Sharp Part #: CFILWA081WJ03 | MCM Order #: CFILWA081WJ03

* Original Sharp color wheel with 5X speed and 6 segments

* Used in model #XV-Z2000

I am gonna fix mine,some day,my bulb only has 5 hours on it.But then I own lots of units so I can wait.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. That is exactly the information I was looking for - and have since learned after some research. Also, I have been doing some research and I have learned that the color wheel is no longer available for this model. I googled the p/n and the online retailers are showing no availability. So I am SOL? I mean, seriously only a few years after spending several thousand on a pj? Plus, at $300 for the part (if you can find it) and probably $200 for labor, then $100 for shipping, you are at half the cost of some very good (and maybe better) units. When do you stop throwing good money after bad?

Edit: Looked again and MCM has one. I will verify the failure and probably order from them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.