AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody.


I'm quite proud to report that after doing some serious lobbying for weeks now and writing eMails almost on a daily basis to any official Sharp contact I could think of TODAY I FINALLY received a very kind response from Mr. Sean P. McBride

, Sharp Product Marketing Manager CONFIRMING that the Z20k will receive a firmware upgrade enabling 24p support in MARCH 2007. This software fix will be available as a download through the official Sharp service site which can be accessed through www.sharpusa.com


This was perhaps the last grief I (and following his review, Greg Rogers for that matter) have had about this IMHO just gorgeous projector. At last I'm as happy as I can be with this purchase.


Hope this is very good news for a couple of fellow forum members!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Nice work! Interested in the Sharp here and that was concern.


How is the fan noise level and is it bright enough in use? (Tried to PM but your box is full)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLT /forum/post/0


Nice work! Interested in the Sharp here and that was concern.


How is the fan noise level and is it bright enough in use? (Tried to PM but your box is full)

Out of respect for everybody who preordered the RS-1 I hesitate to post a full blown report
but I highly recommend reading Greg Rogers eye opening review - about the only thing to be critized was the lack of 24p support



fan noise is "acceptable" - nowhere near as silent as the Pearl/HC5000, but FAR from being as annoying as the HD81. I would rate it about average for quality 1-chip DLP.


It puts out about 850 lumen (with ~ 2000:1 On/Off) even with 160h on my lamp - high brightness (open iris)/full power mode. It is a pleasant surprise that the lamp hasn't lost significant brightness after 160h - this is testament to a very efficient cooling design and the use of a relatively low power (220W), high quality lamp. So if you need it it can be plenty bright. But I actually prefer High Contrast mode/low power mode which is plenty bright for a 8 feet wide Studiothek 130 (cushed 10 feet screen...) in my black hole and gives great black levels.


The most striking aspects of the 20k IMHO are dimensionality (combination of plenty On/Off, amazing "ANSI"/intra image contrast,...., and state of the art lens), crispness (LENS!!!), almost non-existing artifacting DLP's are typically infamous for (eg. False Contouring has finally become a non-issue) and probably above all - COLOR + it can be tweaked to perfection.


I recommend demoing this unit - with a "good" setup -> great source material, black room, total light control- AND probably NOT a side by side shootout
where both projectors "wash each other out" - in short: If you have a projector with that level of intra-scene contrast you NEED the best possible room to really appreciate the impact.


A side by side shootout will ALWAYS relatively favor the projector with less intra-scene contrast as the room/environment limits the maximum on-screen (read: real world) intra-scene contrast and therefor having 800:1 ANSI doesn't show. So perhaps, just perhaps, some (in)famous side-by-side shootout with a very famous competing product was not entirely "fair" in the end... (Oh my god, I'm starting again...)


Have a good day!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,110 Posts
Somewhere over the rainbow...




Just kidding - that's great news for those that like the DLP look. I haven't seen this PJ myself but have been bothered with dithering and other DLP artifacts when seeing them. Sounds like they have a winner on their hands!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
how would u predict the Sharp XV-Z20000 would look on my 76 x 44 (86 inch diagonal) stewart greyhawk in a toal light controlled black room--sitting distance approx 12 feet and proj mounted above approx 13 feet from the screen---this proj would replace my current sharp xv-z 9000 dlp?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by df4801 /forum/post/0


This unit is on my short list for upgrading.

Mine too. I have an HD1 DLP and I can't decide between this Sharp and the RS-1.


Of course, by the time I have the money the landscape will be different.


I have a Sharp LCD TV upstairs and am happy with that unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makomachine /forum/post/0


PJC shows MSRP at $11,999

Never understand MSRP projector pricing.

Call AVS its much much better.


Even in Canada it just dropped again today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k /forum/post/0


Mine too. I have an HD1 DLP and I can't decide between this Sharp and the RS-1.


Of course, by the time I have the money the landscape will be different.


I have a Sharp LCD TV upstairs and am happy with that unit.

It would appear to me that the RS1 and the Sharp are in two different budget categories - with the price vs. performance ratio strongly skewed towards the RS1. That's just my opinion based on reviews I've read, having never seen either of these in person. If you are a strong fan of single chip DLP this appears to be one of the front runners...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion /forum/post/0


Hello everybody.


I'm quite proud to report that after doing some serious lobbying for weeks now and writing eMails almost on a daily basis to any official Sharp contact I could think of TODAY I FINALLY received a very kind response from Mr. Sean P. McBride

, Sharp Product Marketing Manager CONFIRMING that the Z20k will receive a firmware upgrade enabling 24p support in MARCH 2007. This software fix will be available as a download through the official Sharp service site which can be accessed through www.sharpusa.com

Thanks for the info. I hope Sharp knows or somebody lets them know that 1080p24 is really shorthand and we don't want exactly 24. I believe the correct number is something like 23.976. My understanding is that this is what the Sony Blu-ray player puts out in 1080p24 mode.


--Darin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz /forum/post/0


TheLion- GregR mentioned seeing errant line segmant that made the image blink with 1080P input. Have you seen this problem?

Yes, my unit has this problem too. I have talked with high ranked Sharp contacts in Hamburg and the US about it - they were unaware of the issue but are now "looking into it".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/0


Thanks for the info. I hope Sharp knows or somebody lets them know that 1080p24 is really shorthand and we don't want exactly 24. I believe the correct number is something like 23.976. My understanding is that this is what the Sony Blu-ray player puts out in 1080p24 mode.


--Darin

Darin,


1080p/24 is a standardized format which runs at NTSC's 59.94 rate/ 2.5 = 23.976 Hz. I know for a fact that they use the Pioneer HD-1 BluRay to validate this feature - so everything should be just fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz /forum/post/0


How noticable, annoying is it?

Not really annoying for me, I have to look for it. It is there but sitting 1.4x screen width it is not really an issue while watching a movie. Nevertheless I sure hope this gets corrected.
 
1 - 20 of 270 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top