Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first time posting here, and I have some quick questions for the experts:

I'm seriously thinking of making the jump from RPTV to a Front Projector and I have my sites on the XV-Z2000U that's for sale at a local retailer. The problem I have is that I can't find ANY information on the 2000U. Is it the same thing as the XV-Z2000? The specs seem to match up.

Also, I'm planning on mating it with a Draper Onyx 106" M1300 screen. I'm thinking the projector will be roughly 13 feet from the screen in a semi-ambient lighted room. Does this sound like an OK combo?

And lastly, I plan to watch mostly movies and digital cable (with HD), but since I will also be watching some SD TV I am really thinking of purchasing an iScan DVDO HD. I plan to run all my video sources to the iScan and then running one DVI cable to the projector. Does anyone have any advice regarding this setup?

Thank you all very much!

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welp, being new to this whole projector thing I guess I'll have to come to my own conclusions.

I think I'm right in assuming the U on the end just means an updated version of the z2000, so I'll just go with that.

As far as the screen and the video processor go I will just have to experiment and hope I don't make a bad purchase. I don't think I will, though. They seem like they would be a perfect match for my application.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Runnik; I used to own a sharp 12000 and can tell you that the 2000 is an amazing projector that shares similar picture quality compared to the 12000. I have seen the 2000 in action and you will not be disappointed.

The 106" screen around 1.3 gain (white material) is exactly what I would recommend. This combo will handle some ambient light very efficiently. ;)

I actually have a draper onyx m1300 at 106" mated with My current LCD projector. But I had the same screen when my sharp 12000 was in service. I paid aver 2000$ for this screen up here in canada and that is why I hate this country. :mad:

My brother owns an I-scan HD and while the scaling in the 2000 is very good in my opinion, the I-scan will be the overall winner especially for all your other sources which can be plugged into it simplifying your setup. ;) I am DLP sensitive just in case you were wondering why I do not own the DLP projector anymore. :(

20'x14' dedicated theater

Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD projector

Draper onyx m1300 106" tension screen

Anthem avm 30 pre-pro

Rotel rb 1095 5 channel amp

Rotel rb 1080 5 channel amp

Paradigm reference speaker system

HTPC 1 to 1 pixel mapped

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a ton frank456!

That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I've read quite few reviews and a lot of posts on this forum regarding the z2000, so I think that's a good choice.

I'm glad to hear that you have the exact same screen and that you think it will work great paired with the z2000.

I'm especially happy to hear the feedback on the iScan. It's going to be a good chunk of my budget, and it's nice to hear someone agree that it's a great purchase. I just think it will be nice to only have to worry about one input to the PJ and then I can swap video source to my hearts content and not worry about having to run more cables later on.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Two different projectors...

I just ordered and bought a Sharp XV-Z2000 projector that has the lense off center. I paid $3085 for it, + shipping, + an extended 2 year warranty.

The other projector is the Sharp XV-200U, Two Hundred, Not Two Thousand.... and the lense is in the center like the XV-Z10000 and the XVZ12000. The list on the "200" projector is a little less than the "2000"....

I dont know which is the better projector, but I bought the 2000 after seeing its peformance first hand over the the Runco CL410 :)

The XV-Z2000 is a winner in my book and fits well within my budget.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
While there is a 200 and 2000, I agree with Noah. In the past, Sharp projectors 9000, 10000, and 12000 all had a version with the "U" at the end signifiying it as a U.S. market projector. I would assume the same would be true for the 2000.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks smithb and noah. I assumed it was something insignificant like a naming convention. Like I said the specs looked the same, but I thought I'd ask to be sure.

The installer is coming out to do a walk-through to make sure everything will fit, for my application, then I'm ready to start buying stuff!

My wife and I are pretty excited. We love our little family movie time, and making this kind of jump up is a big deal to us.

:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Runnik,

I have just about the same setup that you are looking at. I have the 106 Draper M1300 screen and the 2K Sharp. The combination is great. If you are going to have a decent amount of ambient light I might suggest getting the M2500. As far as the DVDO go with the HD+(I might be wrong) I think I read something that had something to do with HD will scale the SD but for some of the other formats it will just pass thru. Someone with more knowledge can step in here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm, that's something to look into.

Nice theater, btw clrv! Mine won't be anywhere near as nice as yours, but I'm taking baby steps. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Thanks, Runnik

My theater has been a continual project for about 2yrs and wishing for about 5yrs. The only thing is you are never done there is always something new and exciting.

******Word Of Caution****** Don't tell your wife how much money you are dumping in it.

Good luck with your project it is a great hobby.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha good advice, but my wife is the Chief Financial Officer of the family. :)

She sees all and knows all, but she loves me and that makes it worthwhile.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
To confirm what others have said, the U signifies US version. On some they have E, indicating European versions. Most commonly the U is dropped here in the US as it is assumed.

Excellent projector indeed. Very bright so good for ambient light rooms and larger screens.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Runnik,

Something to think about I purchased my 2K from Jason along with other components. Great price and great to work with. I highly recommend that you check with him.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yes. clrv has a very nice theater. It is a step up from my own. I have been trying to get my theater pictures onto the forum but I have never been able to do it. :confused:

20'x14' dedicated theater

Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD projector

Draper onyx m1300 106" tension screen

Anthem avm 30 pre-pro

Rotel rb 1095 5 channel amp

Rotel rb 1080 2 channel amp

Paradigm reference speaker system

HTPC 1 to 1 pixel mapped

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Send me a couple pictures frank456. I'll stick them on this thread for you. I'll post a couple of mine (proud of it like we all are of our own!).

·
Registered
630 Posts
frank456, Thanks alot. I would like to see yours.

Jason, WOW!! Great room and man with those subs do you even need bass shakers?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WOW, that's a beautiful room!

I feel like a chump 'cause I'm converting my family room (with lots of windows, vaulted ceilings and exits). Maybe one day I'll have a house where a dedicated home theater room is an option. :)

We went and picked up the projector, last night. We decided to go with a 92" Draper Onyx, instead. We will be sitting roughly 13 feet from the screen and the 106" just seemed too big -- I put masking tape on the wall in the rough dimensions...

I could hardly sleep last night. haha

Thanks a lot for all the feedback fellas! I'll try to post some pictures when the install is all done. :)

--Mike

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just something to think about. You will get may find later on after you get use to that screen that you would have stayed with the 106. I can't remember I will have to measure when I get home, but I am not much further away form my screen than yours and after 1 1/2 yrs with it I could go larger with now problems. Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.