AVS Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 2350 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Well...after multiple shut downs, I finally bit the bullet and changed out the Z30K lamp today. The ladder work went smoothly. The lamp case slides out without much hassle. :)
The most challenging part was getting the two paper stickers off of the lamp. A lot of alchohol and patience.
Zombie's lamp replacement instructions were invaluable. Thanks!!!
The original lamp had only 1700 hrs on it, and the lamp LED never lit up or indicated a problem :confused:
I'm hoping that the switch fixed it, but it's hard to work up much optimism. Time will tell...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Well, once in a while I am correct. In this case, I wish I was wrong:(
I fired up the Z30K this evening and it was good news and bad news...
The good news is that the new lamp is bright!!!:D Dramatic improvement over the old one.
Now the bad news: The lamp turned off after 10 minutes. The power LED blinked as before.
Time for Sharp service. I'll call them tomorrow and see how much the enclosed 3 year warranty is really worth...
One question for you guys. Would you swap back to the original lamp before shipping it off?

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I've been camping (no cell/internet) :), so I'm just seeing this...
That's a better price then anything I've found (that I was 100% sure would plug and play).
Count me in for one.
Jason, what do you think?
Any progress on the Sharp vs JVC A/B ?
Nice! I need to get out more often and dome some more camping. Prime Season is coming up!

I'm still waiting to hear back and confirm it's the right part.

Eric, were you talking to me or Jason about the A/B testing?

I've done a little here and there but haven't had much time. The JVC 6710 is real nice OOTB with just a few tweaks I got from @Mike Garrett . I'm at ~10-12% life left on the Z30k. It's way too dim now to make any real picture quality comparisons. I want to get a light meter of some sort to see just how dim the Z30k is at the bulb's end of life. @zombie10k , I think you recommended the AEMC CA813 before. Is that the best one? I only see it does lux and fc measurements.

I can only say a few things so far:

One is that the 3D is way better on the Z30k... obviously. I watched a little bit of Avatar tonight. There was way too much flicker on the JVC. I tried to turn it down some but not sure if I was doing it right. I still have a headache from it. I need to read up on how to adjust it properly.

Another is that I'm getting what appears to be really bad HDMI handshaking on the JVC 6710. I get this line on the right side of the screen that looks like it was taken from the left side of the image. It comes and goes. It also cuts in and out a lot or will have static flash for a moment. With no other change in equipment, I know it's the JVC 6710. And it occurs on any source it's fed, be it a Roku 3, old or brand new cable box that was just installed today, Oppo 103 Blu-ray, etc. Need to find the owners thread and see if anyone else is/was having this problem.

Edit: I just remembered one more thing. I immediately noticed the dynamic iris on the JVC 6710. On an Adult Swim advertisement where there was an all black screen with just white letters, the pumping action was extremely obvious. I've only noticed the dynamic iris on the Z30k a few times and it was very subtle. I don't remember what I was watching but wish I did so I could compare it. I think it was during a movie. So I'll look for it some more in movies playing to see if I see it more.

Well, once in a while I am correct. In this case, I wish I was wrong:(
I fired up the Z30K this evening and it was good news and bad news...
The good news is that the new lamp is bright!!!:D Dramatic improvement over the old one.
Now the bad news: The lamp turned off after 10 minutes. The power LED blinked as before.
Time for Sharp service. I'll call them tomorrow and see how much the enclosed 3 year warranty is really worth...
One question for you guys. Would you swap back to the original lamp before shipping it off?
Sorry to hear you're still having issues. Was that the original lamp? What would you say the total amount of hours is on your Z30k?

Let us know how your warranty service w/ Sharp goes!

I would definitely swap back to the old lamp if you have to send it in for repairs. Most likely they'll put a newer one in. Worst case, you'll get the same lamp back.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
My bad (syntax). I wanted to get Jason's opinion on the lamp + housing. Is it a legit OEM part?

Well, more mystery. I reset the Z30K with the RF AC switch and let it set for an hour. It then fired up and ran last night for 30 minutes, then again this morning for an hour. No issues with lamp shut down :confused:
The ghost is in hibernation.;) (again).
I'll call Sharp Tech. soon and pick their brains about it...I must admit to being curious as to weather or not they will honor the 3 year warranty card (enclosed with the projector). However, not enough to part with the machine unless I absolutely have to...
William, thanks for the JVC vs Sharp comparison. Zombie has chimed in on this way back when, but I was curious as to weather the newer JVC upped the 2D bar.
Jason, do you still use the Z30K for "everyday" 2D?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I'm hoping to get some help.
The Z30K lamp shut down has escalated. It will reset and come back on, but only for a few minutes.
I phoned Sharp CS and they asked me to email in the purchase receipt and warranty card. They said that after confirming the info, they would send out a return shipping label.
Well, I sent it in, but have not heard anything from them. This AM I sent another email asking them to expedite the return...
Has anyone had experience with Sharp CS?
I Googled "Sharp CS reviews" and it shook my confidence. There are some real horror stories out there, particularly with the Aquos TVs...
Any ideas on how to proceed?:confused:
Thanks

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
After submitting the receipt and warranty card they wanted, still no response from Sharp CS:mad:
Last week I called them again and talked to a 2nd CS rep. He said that it can take 4 business days to get a response to a Warranty Authorization request. That alone may account for some of CS feedback on the web...In any case, I'll post back here when I hear something.

There is a change in the PJ behavior (the first in months).
While I'm waiting for Sharp, I decided to take a closer look at the actual lamp casing assembly. I wondered if somehow the two electrical contacts are not mating exactly. The intermittent lamp shutdown almost "feels" like the Z30K lamp is not getting enough "Juice". I went up on the ladder and removed the lamp assembly. As far as I can tell things look good. There is some evidence of heat discoloration in the lamp casing "cavity", near where the lamp actually sits. I figured that's probably "normal". As long as I had the casing out, I swapped the original bulb back in. With Zombie's instructions, it was pretty straightforward the 2nd time. I reinserted the lamp casing into the Z30K, carefully secured the access door and got down off the ladder (a good thing).:)
I fired up the projector and was expecting the same behavior that I have been getting. (Lamp turns on, then shuts down with power LED blinking red. )
However, after putting back in the original lamp, the turn on behavior has changed. Now the lamp LED blinks green (as usual at start up), but the lamp won't light (at all). :confused: The manual says this behavior can indicate a bad lamp. However, I know the lamp is "good" and it only has 1700 hrs on it.
After doing a web search, I found a reference to a lamp "ballast circuit" issue that somewhat fits the description of the symptoms. I guess That could explain the previous symptoms as well. It's way beyond me.
On the bright side (PJ humor): At least now, when the Sharp techs try to turn it on, then something "negative" will happen. The intermittent shut down problem reminds me of taking a car into the shop and you can not get it to make the "rattle" for the mechanic...

So, I'm in "wait and see" (from Sharp) mode.
I recall that someone in this thread had to send in their Z30K for service, but I can't recall who it was.
I'm trying to remain optimistic...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
sorry to hear about the issues on the 30K. I'm not sure what to expect with the Sharp CS, this model has been discontinued for a while and it's hard to say if there are even parts out there to repair it.

Are you considering another model as a plan B?
Unfortunately, I've been thinking the same thoughts.
So far, my Sharp CS experience has been less than "sharp".:(
However, another train of thought is: Why would you offer a 3 year warranty if you were not prepared to fix it?
I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Actually, based on your recommendation, I PMed Mike about a possible "B" stock JVC 4910. He said that there were others waiting ahead of me...
I've always been a DLP guy. If I could find another Z30K, I would jump on it. Sadly that's unlikely.
I'm not ready to pay $6K (at least) for an upgrade to a 4K machine.
We need powered lens controls. Any suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Hi Z30K fans. I'm just bumping this along in the hopes that one of you has an idea (or two).
Our Z30K is now totally non-functional.
The online Sharp CS review ratings were spooky. :eek: Hundreds of people/1 star out of 5. Mostly for their flatscreen TVs (that I could see).
On the plus side, I actually got an email response from a Sharp rep (four days ago). She said that my warranty claim "was under review". What does that mean??? I submitted the support documentation over a week ago. :mad:
I'm concerned that they are going to try and say the original purchase was exempt from warranty in some way, but I never saw or heard anything about it. We bought it brand new and the original 3 year warranty card was enclosed with the projector. Go figure.
In retrospect it may have been a mistake to not send it in for repair earlier. We have limped along with work arounds since we first got it. The various "turn on "issues" probably indicated that something was not quite right. It's just that the availability of replacements was nil and I did not want to be without it. Cest la vi...
Sharp Electronics is not some "fly by night" startup. They are a major world wide corrporation. I'm disappointed to not get better customer service. In the last week, I have called three times and emailed 8 times...Any suggestions on what to do :confused:
I'll post back here as things progress (or as I'm fearing, not).
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Hi Z30K fans. I'm just bumping this along in the hopes that one of you has an idea (or two).
Our Z30K is now totally non-functional.
The online Sharp CS review ratings were spooky. :eek: Hundreds of people/1 star out of 5. Mostly for their flatscreen TVs (that I could see).
On the plus side, I actually got an email response from a Sharp rep (four days ago). She said that my warranty claim "was under review". What does that mean??? I submitted the support documentation over a week ago. :mad:
I'm concerned that they are going to try and say the original purchase was exempt from warranty in some way, but I never saw or heard anything about it. We bought it brand new and the original 3 year warranty card was enclosed with the projector. Go figure.
In retrospect it may have been a mistake to not send it in for repair earlier. We have limped along with work arounds since we first got it. The various "turn on "issues" probably indicated that something was not quite right. It's just that the availability of replacements was nil and I did not want to be without it. Cest la vi...
Sharp Electronics is not some "fly by night" startup. They are a major world wide corrporation. I'm disappointed to not get better customer service. In the last week, I have called three times and emailed 8 times...Any suggestions on what to do :confused:
I'll post back here as things progress (or as I'm fearing, not).
Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your situation. The way I see it, you have 3 options.

1. Sit and wait for them to make a decision and inform you. But, in the mean time, I would still keep pestering them with phone calls and emails. And always ask to speak to the next level up in management. Try and find a balance between passive aggressive overtly shouting/cursing. Eventually you will get to someone who know wtf is going on with your claim.

2. Threaten legal action. Unless you have a friend who is an attorney, it may be cost prohibitive. Or, perhaps you cold take them to small claims court. I'm not too familiar with the legalities in this department. But, guaranteed, if you were pursue this route, Sharp would likely just repair you unit vs pay the cost for their lawyers. See the examples in this Google search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=can+you+take+a+large+corporation+to+small+claims+court?&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

*Unless they just don't have the parts to repair it. That's a whole other can of worms trying to get them to fess up there. In which case I would seek out Erin Brockovich.

3. File a report with the Better Business Bureau, and resellerratings.com too. This hurts them more than people realize. I would do this regardless of the outcome in options 1 or 2. It's unacceptable for a corporation as large as Sharp to not have a faster response time with their customer service.

I'm sure there a lots of Z30k owners eagerly watching and waiting to see what they do for you. So let us know what happens!

·
Registered
13,270 Posts
I would honestly forget trying to deal with Sharp. They are out the projector business for years and just sold their main business in the US to a company called Hisense.

I would sooner send it here for an estimate:

http://mendtronix.com/in-warranty-and-out-of-warranty-repair.html

they are the main service center for JVC and a number of members here have had a good experience with them. On their site, it says they service Sharp in warranty and out as well. It's worth an estimate - maybe only a few hundred to fix which is certainly cheaper than trying to replace it.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Guys, thanks for the input.
I do have a good friend that is an attorney, but once the lawyers are involved...
I don't have the stomach or time to perpetuate further conflict. Also, after reading the Sharp CS reviews online, I honestly don't think I can impact their reputation any further.
I'll keep pestering them for a few more days, if nothing happens by the end of the week, the it's on to plan B.
The repair outside of the warranty chain seems like the course of least resistance. If it turns out to be a large cost, I could then pursue a claim in small claims here locally for the cost of the fix. It seems like a huge hassle :(
I'll keep you posted...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
The universe works in mysterious ways. I wonder if the AV firms monitor wait we say here at AVS.:rolleyes:
Within two hrs of my frustrated post this morning (and your suggestions) I got a return authorization from Sharp. They sent me a FedEx shipping sticker and instructions. Coincidence? Perhaps... In any case, I'm grateful to finally start down this path. I'll pull it down, pack it up and send it off.
It sounds as if it might be a few weeks. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Thanks again for tilting the cosmos :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fellow Z30k owners,

I've been in contact with a seller of the lamp with housing. Trying to get pics to confirm it's a legit part. They're feedback is pretty good, with only ~3-5% having some kind of issue.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/feedback-score/611807.html

Currently it's $140 with shipping. They have said if we buy 5+ pieces we could get 5% off, so $132.50. I'm working on seeing if we can get a large enough order to get more of a discount.

I know there's a lot of us out there who would like the convenience of just swapping the housing with out having to take it apart to do so. The original is ~$400 so this would be a huge saving and we could stock up enough lamps until this projector hits it's end of life.

Thoughts?
The lamp timer on my unit just hit 100%, so I am in the market for a replacement. Did you find out if this bulb was legit or not?

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
The lamp timer on my unit just hit 100%, so I am in the market for a replacement. Did you find out if this bulb was legit or not?
Unfortunately, I have not.

I Sent the lady a couple messages showing her where to find the correct pic and asking her to verify it, but never heard back.

I'm tempted to order one anyway and see.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
i got my bulb last year after doing much research from this guy:

Jeff Phillips
General Manager
Projector Superstore
(888) 525-6696 x236
(480) 348-0273 Fax
[email protected]
www.projectorsuperstore.com

OEM, great price, perfect fit, long life!

ANK30LP/1 Each 296.00 PROJECTOR LAMP FOR SHARP XV-Z30000 AN-K30LP/1 XVZ30000
I followed the link to projectorsuperstore and put the part no in the search box:

https://www.projectorsuperstore.com/Shopping/lamp_details.cfm?id=14144

$387 "No Longer available"

BRW, our Z30K arrived at the fix it shop. Keeping my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
275 Posts
they didn't stock it when I called.. they had it dropped shipped from Sharp to me for 296.

just ask for this guy:

Jeff Phillips
General Manager
Projector Superstore
(888) 525-6696 x236

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
they didn't stock it when I called.. they had it dropped shipped from Sharp to me for 296.

just ask for this guy:

Jeff Phillips
General Manager
Projector Superstore
(888) 525-6696 x236
Thanks CK,
It's still a bit pricey with the lamps going for $80.
Zombie's lamp change instructions were straightforward, though I do worry about stripping out those little screws. You need a tiny "sharp" Phillip's head screwdriver (PJ humor).
It would be nice to "plug and play" the lamp housing. I wonder if we could get a group buy together? If we could get them for $200 or $225, then I would pull the trigger (assuming my Z30K get's fixed...).

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Well, the other shoe just dropped on our Z30K.
Sharp has had the projector at their shop for 4 days now. The email they sent me said "Parts on order".
I emailed back asking for clarification and a CS rep said that the part was "backordered" and not available until the end of Jan 2016. At that point, the part will be shipped to Sharp and the repair can begin.
I asked the CS rep to "have my case reviewed for other options". She said it will take a couple of business days to get back to me.
At this point, it feels like we are SOL. :(
I'll keep people posted...

2021 - 2040 of 2350 Posts