Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Just letting you know that we have offically signed on as a Sharp dealer (again). We will be ordering several Z9000 units beginning of next week for further evaluation and testing. There will also be stock for sale. Feel free to drop me an email if you are interested.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jason:

I was one of the lucky ones who got to see the XV-Z9000U at CEDIA. Since I was in the market for a DLP with true 16:9 format, this and the DWIN Transvision II were the leading contenders. While I really like the DWIN concept of a 2-piece unit, IMHO, the Sharp had a better picture. And more importantly, it is actually shipping! Add that is very quiet, sports a 6-segment RGB wheel at 5X (I could see no rainbows), appropiate throw distance, great contrast ratio and plenty of light.

Sign me on of you can get a price below $8K. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Gobi,

No rainbow? Has it finally happened? Truly? If so, fantastic! Many (including myself) have been waiting for this.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I have seen this projector offered for CONSIDERABLY below 8K.

I have not spoken directly with Jason yet, but I would recommend buying it from AVS first, since they are our host here (even though you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere).

-- Cain

·
Registered
73 Posts
I checked Z9000 out and I didn't see the rainbows effect. I am interested to buy it from AVS but, I am just waiting it below the 7K, as per group buy search. If AVS price is 7K, I will buy it right now!

Thanks,

MoocaT

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Milori,

Kam Fung said in another thread that he saw rainbows on all the HD1 chip dlps still...there is another thread with it too. Albeit much reduced apparently.

Bummer...

KeithR

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Keith:

Glad to see you're OK!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Poor Kam must be one of those rainbow super-sensitive types--like me! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

But with the faster 6 segement wheel the rainbow sensitives will probably be far fewer.

This is really a nice advance in the state of the art. Can't wait until the new DLPs with higher contrast and greater brightness come out.

Dan

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Kam Fung is the only person who has seen any rainbow with the Sharp z9000 (so far), and many others who detest rainbows simply cannot see them.

Regarding price, I'm seeing this projector offered for less than 7K, so it is starting to look like a really, really good deal for many of us who have been siting on the fence.

-- Cain

[This message has been edited by Cain (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I saw this projector for the first time today and it was indeed very impressive. The picture was quite detailed and the black level was MUCH better than the 1280 X 720p DLP chips in the RPTV DLPs that I have seen (for more money).

The colors on the unit I saw were a bit pale compared to my calibrated D-ILA, but I'm sure that this could be fixed/adjusted.

I can't say that the rainbows are completely gone, but they were so minimal that you whould have to be shaking your head side-to-side for some time to spot it, and even then it is VERY minimal.

I had not seen rainbows at all until I got my NEC LT-150, and even on the 150 they are not noticable except in certain movies. But with the 9000 I'd say it's a non-issue.

The 9000 looks like a nice all-around projector, and will be a very competitive HT FPTV, especially if it's under $8K.

-Dean.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I know that the models are slightly different, that the market is different, the aftersales is different etc etc etc.... but as you have seen on other threds here the Z9000 can be had for around than USD5000 here in Tokyo, and even from a reputible shop it is only between UD5000 and 6000.

I think that at these sort of prices given all of your reactions that sharp would just about corner the market in the US - something for retailers to think about - volume to compensate for less margin on this one.

Unless something really weird happens I think that I too will go the Z9000 here.

Cheers

adam

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Dean- Can you expand on your viewing of the Sharp. How was the fan noise? What source and screen were they using and where did you see it? Did you play with the remote or settings?

Thanks,

Spero D.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ouch,

It sounds like I'm becoming infamous for rainbow sensitivity!

Let me clarify: even with a 5x colour wheel there are still colour separation artifacts. In fact, one of the people at the Sharp booth commented on this very fact, saying that he only saw it in a few scenes and it was not very serious. I too found that the effect was much reduced and unoticeable in most cases. You may be able to notice them when you look from one part of the screen to the other (e.g. looking from one person to another), if you are looking for them. I personally have never found the rainbow effect to be very distracting, but unfortunately the people on the forum have taught me how to see it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif This should not be a make-or-break type issue for most people (it isn't for me), but it is something to be aware of. If you simply *must* have a projector that is rainbow-free in all cases, the HD1-based DLP's are not for you. For everyone else, enjoy these very nice looking projectors at quite a reasonable price. With their high inherent contrast from the DM3 layer and 6 segment colour wheel they already look great, I wonder how much better Thumper could make them once he gets his hands on one!

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Spero wrote,

How was the fan noise?

Very good. On par with the Sony 10/11HT. The projector was setting on a pedestal right behind the front seating (3' away) and the fan noise was not noticable with the movie playing.

What source and screen were they using?

I kinda snuck in without a salesman and switched it on, so I'm not sure if it was fed by a regular DVD player, progressive scan unit, or external scaler, but I suspect just a regular DVD player and the internal scaler.

It looked like a regular low gain white screen, about 7 feet wide, 16:9. The picture was noticably detailed and bright at that screen size.

Where did you see it?

A local home theater store called Laserland in Cupertino. They have several theater rooms and this was their best.

Did you play with the remote or settings?

Nope. The room was dark and I just found the play button and The Fifth Element was in the DVD player.

I didn't do any tweaking at all.

-Dean.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Thanks Dean. Will you be going back to take another look? What did you think of the Black Level? Will you or would you purchase the Sharp?

Spero D.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
To bad about that rainbow...Yeah, most people don't mind it, but I for one could never be happy with it. Screen door is something that is constant, and thus becomes adapted to. Rainbow, however...is random...when it happens, if you are looking at it at the right way at the right time...

I was hoping these would have dispensed with them...guess not..wonder if SCR wheel will work...

------------------

David Mendicino

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Hi David, I want to be clear on this point.

You have seen the Z9000 and the rainbow was, for you, so objectionable that you would not purchase this projector, correct??

Can you tell us what source material and screen produced the rainbow problems for you??

Thanks!!

-- Cain

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Spero wrote,

Will you be going back to take another look?

Undoubtably.

What did you think of the Black Level?

It was quite good. Better than most all of the uncalibrated digital projectors that I've seen.

Will you or would you purchase the Sharp?

My G15 is visually better in all respects, but it has taken great effort to make it so. The Sharp is however one of the best looking FPTVs that I've seen so far and therefore is on my short list of recommended FPTVs now. How is ranks is only dependent on what the street price is.

David,

For me, the rainbows are so very subtile as to be a non-issue, as opposed to screen door which was distractingly evident on the Sharp in the showroom next to the one with the 9000. But I would recommend that prospective buyers go see it first. I think that most of them will be impressed.

-Dean.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Cain, as a rainbow sensitive individual,

I will head to Harveys in Midtown monday or tuesday, where i caught a glimpse of the Sharp last week. I will go ahead and bring my rainbow torture tests and report back---Sleepy Hollow, and Gladiator. If it passes those, then you are clear. I also hope to do a comparison to the 200DM...from what I saw last week, the picture looked noticably softer.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
KeithR

You da' man!!! I'm also interested to know how the Sharp z9000 stacks up to the 200DM particularly with respect to rainbows..

Seeing where you live I sincerely hope you and all of yours are doing well.

Take care, and many thanks for the recon!!

-- Cain

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.