AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My version comes with a NEMA cable with a 3-wire female connector and a 2-prong plug with a loose green ground wire. None of the other equipment on the Video chain (dvd player or laserdisc player) uses a 3-wire plug. Are there dangers of grounding the XV-Z9000?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was thinking about swapping out the wire that came with the 9000 (japan version) with a standard pc power cable -- same configuration except you have a 3 prong plug instead of the green wire. Any potential harm in doing this?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Ollie,

I don't think there are any dangers in grounding the green wire, there may be dangers in not grounding it.

The question you should be asking is if the PJ sees ground via the interconnecting cables between it and your DVD player. Even though the DVD player may have a 2 prong plug, the processor/receiver that it is connected to may have a three prong job. In that case the coaxials that connect everything may be grounding your projector. You can check this with an Ohm meter. With the power plug pulled on the Sharp check for continuity between the green wire and the ground pin in your electrical outlet. Make sure all the other components are connected and plugged in. If it is an open circuit then you should connect the green wire to ground for sure so the PJ is grounded. If it is a closed circuit then the PJ is seeing ground. I would double check by disconnecting all the connections to the PJ. This should cause the circuit to read open and now you know that the PJ is seeing ground via something else in your system. In that case you don't have to hook up the green wire, but it won't hurt anything if you do.

John Moschella

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.