Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i am new to this forum, but have been an owner of CRT-projectors for over 20 years now, and i promised myself that, next time i buy a front-projector, it will be something other than a CRT,as, let's face it, that is a technology that has reached its peak in performance and price (SONY, RUNCO,VIDIKRON,etc), and it is time to "go digital", so to speak...

like a lot of other people, i have been waiting for DLP,LCD and/or D-ILA technologies to catch-up to CRT's in contrast, color and resolution, but keeping the brightness, reliability, easy of set-up and pricing, that these newer technologies have been known for, and it seems to me that finally there is a "light and the end of the tunnel", with the recent introduction of the SHARP XV-Z9000U and the, supposedly, upcoming SELECO HT-300.

however, i have a few questions :

to owners of DLP projectors, could you once and for all tell us about the reliability of those DMD-chips ??? do they suffer from "dead-pixels",like LCD's do?? i guess in their case, they should be more appropriately called "dead-DMD-chips", as in DMD-chips that fail to operate properly after some time of use, or that came from the factory already "stuck"...and while we are on the subject, what about "dust-blobs" and pollution contamination on their optics? is it as bad as on LCD front projectors???

also, what is the deal with this new TEXAS INSTRUMENTS (TI) DM3 chip? is it the one that some people refer to as the "black-chip",with a built-in layer of some black material right on the chip, for better contrast?

and what about this new press release from TI,dated 6/7/2001 titled "SEQUENTIAL COLOR RECAPTURE and DYNAMIC FILTERING",in which it is described a major improvement in single panel DLP system... "SCR, a technology that allows all three primary colors (RGB) to be present simultaneously in a single panel DLP system such that it can be as efficient as, or potentially more so, than a three panel system, but without the additional parts, size, weight and cost. images can be up to 40% brighter than is currently possible,as well as increased color saturation"...WELL, WOW...!!

oh well, perhaps i am going to have to wait for another year, untill finally everything falls into place, as in a single panel DLP front-projector that comes with this new "SCR" technology, 1280x720 DMD-chip(or higher!),a SEALED "light-engine" to prevent dust and pollution contamination (like the SELECO HT-250),and the new SAGE/FAROUDJA "DIAGONAL DECORRELATION DEINTERLACING" chip (DCDi) built-in, for top-of the line 3/2 pulldown film deinterlacing ---motion detection line doubling from video sources --- pixel by pixel interpolation... and, best of all, quite inexpensive for all it does !!!

any thougths on this posting, guys??? thanks.....

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Long story short. The digitals are lighter, easier, and brighter, but for pure image they are not up to CRT's yet.

The newest DMD chips hold a great deal of promise though so stay tuned. Nobody has seen an actual shipping projector that uses the newer chips yet.

TI has another set of even newer DMD chips with different mirrors on the horizon, that will allow all this improved contrast but with much higher brightness, they'l be out next year though.

-- Cain

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have four DLPs - no dead pixels, no dust blobs (yet, but I know how to cure this anyway). I think Frode had one dead pixel on his LT150.

I have viewed many DLPs and only seen one dead pixel, so I don't think this is a concern. There are some great DLPs on the market now and some "better" ones on the immediate horizon. I jumbed because I found one that satisfies me for now (bought three of them) and I think for the next couple of years. I expect major changes soon, but since I don't see rainbows (not often anyway) most of these changes won't effect me much, especially with the Panamorph coming.

There is something always better tomorrow - some people wait forever. Right now DLPs set up properly are extremely good! I'll be adding a Panamorph lens soon (I hope) and things should get even better.

One thing is for sure, with every new projector release there is a ton of hype about it on this forum - which is the way it should be. A couple of months later you hardly ever hear about it and we're on to something else - talk about a short attention span!

My advice - Find a really cheap but good new or used DLP and enjoy it for a year or two and then take another look - that's what I've done and I am very happy!

No matter what you do there will always be naysayers - check it out and be your own boss - think for yourself! You have the CRT as a reference so if you find something you like you can be sure it is good. The bottom line for me is - am I having fun or am I always obsessing over this or that little thing. Right now I am having fun! Simple is beautiful.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Terific post Grant, and excellent points..

I think once I jump into this game (by buying a projector) I will be much less likely to want to upgrade until I see significant improvement over what I currently own.

I'm excited about getting a projector in the next 6 months so I can finally start watching movies at home, in mr very own personal HT.

Take care,

-- Cain

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.