AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to install a Home Theatre DLP projector. The following are the 2 DLP projectors that I am currently considering:

Yamaha DPX-1

Sharp XV-Z9000U

I have the following questions:

1. Which DLP projector would you recommend and why? - FYI, I plan to watch DVD movies, occasional DISH network programs (such as NBA games).

2. Since my local Paradyme shop does not carry Sharp, they will not install it for me. Who would you recommend for installing this DLP projector??? (I plan to have a manual 120" Diagonal Screen in my room)

I appreciate and welcome your advise. Thanks!

Amar

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Amar,

the sharp is highly recommended over the Yamaha primarily because of the rainbow artifacts from the color-whell on the yamaha.

Do a search on the forum for each of these projectors. There is a TON of discussion that will more than answer these questions.

-dave

·
Registered
479 Posts
You can install the Sharp yourself. Hang the screen, hang the projector using the Sharp ceiling mount (AN-CM-250), run the cables, and turn it on. No professional needed.

See this thread for information about the ceiling mount:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=ancm250

The Sharp has the new 16:9 1280x720 DMD, better contrast, a faster color wheel... It's a no brainer. Get the Sharp.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I personally saw both the Yamaha and the Sharp at the same store on the same day. I spent about 10 minutes watching each of them. Until that day, I had no idea what people were talking about regarding "rainbow effects". 30 seconds with the Yamaha made it more than apparent. I saw the rainbows every time I moved my head or eyes even slightly with the Yamaha. With the Sharp, however, I couldn't see a rainbow no matter how much I tried. While I know that there are a number of other factors that will go into your decision, my recommendation would be the Sharp (between these two units).

I am currently considering the Sharp as well. My other choice is the Sanyo PLV60HT. I know that the Sharp has much better contrast and blacks, but most of what I've read says that the Sanyo has excellent picture quality with superior color reproduction. With both the Sharp and the Yamaha (DLP units), I was surprised that there wasn't more punch from the colors. They both seemed kind of washed out. I didn't adjust any colors, however, or play with any of the settings. Both of the rooms that I was in for the Yamaha/Sharp setups could not be completely darkened. The other projector I auditioned (Sony 11HT) is an LCD like the Sanyo, and its colors in a mildly lit room were excellent, and blacks looked very good. It sounds like the Sanyo does LCD even better than the Sony. I hope to check out the Sanyo in person soon to find out for sure. I also know that the Sanyo will cost about $2500-4000 less than the Sharp. At this point, I'm not sure if the cost spread could possibly be justified for the Sharp. Hopefully I'll know for sure pretty soon.

jj

·
Registered
27,358 Posts
I saw both at two different locations. The Yamaha looked nice but the Sharp was clearly superior in every way.

Now if I could find a JVC G150HT to compare to the Sharp, then the comparisons would be over.

Jeff

·
Registered
27,358 Posts
I saw both at two different locations. The Yamaha looked nice but the Sharp was clearly superior in every way.

Now if I could find a JVC G150HT to compare to the Sharp, then the comparisons would be over.

Jeff

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Matt:

Thanks for your reply!

Which is the BEST (reliable and CHEAPEST) place to buy the Sharp DLP????? I saw it listed at $8K on a Yahoo store. The store retail was $10K! BTW, I am looking for a new one.

Also, is it SAFE to buy ONLINE??? Does the Sharp carry a 2-yr warranty??

Quote:
Originally posted by Augie
You can install the Sharp yourself. Hang the screen, hang the projector using the Sharp ceiling mount (AN-CM-250), run the cables, and turn it on. No professional needed.

See this thread for information about the ceiling mount:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=ancm250

The Sharp has the new 16:9 1280x720 DMD, better contrast, a faster color wheel... It's a no brainer. Get the Sharp.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Amar,

Unless the place that you saw it at on the web already bought it from Sharp, you probably won't be able to buy it online. Sharp has been pulling all of their internet based dealers with this new projector. They are trying to make it so that everyone has to go to their own local dealer for pricing. It stinks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The following are a few comments regarding the purchase and installation of my Sharp 9000.

1. Purchased new without face-to-face contact with a reseller I located on-line. Paid with Pay Pal. This unit required absolutly no reseller assistance to install and setup. The only unknown was to what extent the lens shift shifted. If you do your homework this unit is about as close to plug-and-play as one could expect. Sharp has over-engineered this device, packaged it with flair and documented it well. I particularly like the Low noise and outstanding hi-power remote anolg with the image quality.

2.I mounted mine about 8' off the floor on a shelf (non-inverted!). I aim'd the lens down using the dial lens-shift feature. I also canted the projector down slightly to get the top of image on the screen approx. 16" below the center of the lens and compensated slightly with the electronic keystone. Zoom is approx. 90% max. Throw is 11.5' to a 84" diagonal screen made of ironing board cover material from a local fabric store. Poor man's "greyhawk". Works great for near term.

3. My theater walls are painted a very bold "barn red" to avoid any reflections from the screen image. There is no direct light on the screen but has ample ambient leaking in from two windows in adjacent room. Using sample material for Greyhawk and Ultramatte 1.3 gain I have selected 84" Greyhawk because it really adds to the screen punch and contrast. The indirect lighting caused a haze to reflect off the Ultramatte sample.

In summary, I find I use it primarily for DVD's and HD content via HBO and CBS via Dish. After seeing Band of Brothers in HD, much of the networks SDTV content is unwatchable on a 84" screen.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I cannot seem to find the AN-CM-250 ceiling mount for this projector. Can anyone advise of other options, besides this Sharp model, just to browse around?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.