Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone experiencing this problem:

I have a XV-z9000 and use it with a Sony e9000 player in progressive mode; component . Screen is 92" diag firehawk

When I watch widescreen movies, I see a horizontal line (very fine line) across the screen , just above and below the black bars. They seem to cut the picture. (ie Pearl harbor and others)

If I watch Last of the Mohican's , the lines are not there

I am not sure this is a result of the PJ or the DVD player, but be interested in seeing if others using the 9000 experienced this.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

·
Registered
513 Posts
Is last of the mohicans non-anamorphic? If it happens only on anamorphic transfers (or only on non-anamorphic transfers) I'd tend to point at the DVD player as the source of the glitch.

Question: is the DVD player set up for a 16:9 display?

Just thoughts.

- Ryan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THansk for the reply... I will check the DVD player to make sure of the settings...

Chris

·
Registered
502 Posts
I´m not very comon with the Sharp, but check, there have been an update of the firmware for the Sharp to reduce some problems

Also try, to set your player an the interlaced mode. I know, that there will sometimes problems, when the Sharp will recieve progressive signals (bypassing the CIVIC)

hb

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Only see the lines

when watching DVD's. Trying to get an answer

through my dealer, will let you know what I find....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I would be interested in what your dealer says. Also, with my PJ I only see the lines on very specific widescreen DVD's from on particular movie house; ie Pearl Harbor vs Training Day.

Not sure if this is anything but it intersting.

Will keep all posted.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
If you give me a list of the DVDs that you see this on, I'll look to see if I see it. I don't own Pearl Harbor or Training Day. I've looked at parts of over 50 DVDs with the Sharp, and not seen this problem yet. My projector is about 1 month old.

Tim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are a couple off the top of my head;

Pearl Harbor

Tomorrow never dies

Legally Blonde

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I own Tomorrow Never Dies. I'll look tomorrow night and see if I can spot the problem. My DVD player is the Sony 700 and I'll check it out in progressive and interlaced mode. I'll get back to you tomorrow night.

How far away do you need to be to see the lines?

Tim

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I just got through watching Tomorrow Never Dies and didn't see a constant line running across either the top or bottom. I did see what looked very much like edge enhancement that was added to the DVD when they made it. I really had to get up close to the screen to see it and it was not there all of the time.

I then put in 'The World is Not Enough', and it was easier to see in some of the opening scenes. But again, it just looks like an unfortunate amount of edge enhancement.

I've seen a lot (an awful lot) worse edge enhancement than in these two movies, and I really have to wonder why whoever adds it thinks it is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Are those lines visible only on transferts with "back bars" in, for example, 2.35:1 movies on a 16/9 DVD (or even 4/3)? Then it's EE and/or MPEG2 compression. The transition between the encoded "black bars" and the picture is a high frequency change, something that Edge Enhancers like a lot :(. So do it the MPEG2 compression.

Carlos

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I beleive that Alan reported in a previous thread that it had something to do with a software issue.

chis

·
Registered
319 Posts
I also have seen this with a Sony ES9000 on both a VW10HT and a Sharp 9000. The line runs at the very top and bottom of the movie image whether or not its 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 (in fact it's more of an artifact than a line, it does look like edge enhancement or shadowing in a highly compressed JPEG image). I am not seeing it running a HTPC (either WinDVD4 or Cinemaster4) into the Sharps VGA input.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've seen this on the Sharp with some DVD's (I know Pearl Habour was one) and I'm using a HTPC with Power DVD v4.0. I assumed this was something on the DVD itself. I guess I'll have to check on a PC connected to a normal monitor.

Cheers

ba

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have same Sharp 9000 and Sony ES9000 combo and have noticed this on some 2.35 DVDs......including "Legally Blonde", "Pearl Harbor" and more recently "Star Wars - Episode 1".

My Sharp is among the first shipped. Never had the software upgrade. Can my local dealer do the upgrade or must it be sent to Illinois? Also would like the "input 5 scaler by-pass" as well.

Please advise!

Thanks,

Terry M.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Is this "line" right on the edge between the image and the black bars? If it is, I have seen it on many widescreen transfers than have an aspect ratio wider than 1.85 (i.e. 2.00 or 2.35).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.