Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Sorry to start another thread about projector comparisons, but I'm in a place I didn't think I'd be just 3 days ago.

I've been a CRT FP guy for the last 5 years and loved it. My 7" CRT FP is starting to wear out (need new tubes) and I had planned on replacing it with a refurbed 8" CRT. In the process of being thorough, I took a look at a DLP unit last night - a Sharp Z10000 loaned to me for the evening.

I was very impressed with the overall picture. Very bright, great color and sharpness I only get from my FP after spending an hour or so fine tuning it. I went from doubter to "supporter" in less than 20 minutes.

However, as folks have noted, black levels aren't thrilling. In fact, this seems to my eye to be the only problem I am concerned about. When watching the opening space scenes for 5th Element, the "rocks" seem to be flying at you over a charcoal mesh or something.

Anyway, I liked the Z10000 and loved it's red rendition (after some minor calibration), but would like to improve on black level. Folks around here talk up the Marantz VP12-S2 as having black levels closer to CRT, but I can't find one locally to look at and confirm.

Could anyone compare/contrast these two projectors or any others that might fit into this mold (very good black level control)?

I'm projecting on a 96" wide 16:9 white screen (after last night, I don't see a huge reason for a gray screen) in a totally light controlled room.

Any thinking would be appreciated. I'm looking forward to "the change" and am glad "saw the light" in time. CRT is great, but the diff with DLP is small enough to really make you think now.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I have an S2 and can confirm that the black levels are simply awesome. I do not feel the need for masking when watching movies other than 16:9 AR, as my screen (110" Firehawk) has. In addition it is also a very quiet PJ.

Only downside is that I have been a bit unlucky with Marantz PJ and their product quality. I bought a refurb. S2 about 3 weeks ago. This unit had 1 dead pixel and a high pitch whining noise. I got a replacement late last week. Now the noise is gone, but this unit now has 2 dead pixels. Argument is now whether I would have to accept dead pixels or not. I am in touch with my dealer and still confident to get a functionally flawless product from Marantz soon. Other than that the S2 is an excellent choice. Feel free to pm me if you like more info.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I don't know about the s2 but the 10k is supposed to have better contrast. After manipulation it is OUTSTANDING. None better for the money.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ingeborgdot
I don't know about the s2 but the 10k is supposed to have better contrast. After manipulation it is OUTSTANDING. None better for the money.
Well, what I saw (on the 10000) definatly impressed me. As a CRT guy, I wasn't expecting so much from the unit. I'd say contrast in normal scenes was excellent as was color. I only did basic calibration stuff (black level, white level, etc), so I'm not sure if it can get bettter.

As I described it to my SO - it's 7/8th the way there for me and that last 1/8 is black level. Even there, most of the time, the human eye handles any deficits of black level. Except in things like star fields (lots of black with only bits of white). Without a lot of light, the eye sees the blacks as they really are - a sort of dark gray :-(

Any idea if there is any sort of filter that could be used to bring the total levels down some? Also, does anyone have any common calibration tips for the 10000 to get a closer to ideal pic?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
both of the marantz and the sharp are close in terms of absolute black level. If the marantz's black level is better than the sharp, I highly doubt that it would be that noticable.

Also, it seems like you really have gotten used to "CRT black". To my eyes, the black levels of these new HD2 chipped machines are amazing, considering that it is bulb driven.

James

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
also, what were the setup conditions of the sharp 10K when you saw it?

I saw a sharp 10000 both on a 110" diagonal firehawk and studiotek. I preferred the picture on the studiotek despite the the firehawk giving better blacks.

James

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gduprey
Any idea if there is any sort of filter that could be used to bring the total levels down some?
I think the best way to bring all the levels down and increase the CR at the same time is to close the iris down further. However, that really means waiting for the 12k that has another iris mode speced at 300 lumens and 3000:1 to 5000:1 CR. Actually, the spec may just be 5000:1, but at CEDIA they were telling people to expect somewhere in the 3000:1 to 5000:1 range in the highest contrast mode. There really isn't that much difference in the leakage between those two, so I could see it varying by individual projectors close to that much.

Also, I would expect the 12k to have better shadow detail with the new 7 segment wheel.

If you are really looking at saving money by getting a 10k, a red filter could probably increase the CR and bring all the levels down some at once.

--Darin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.