AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to buy a new projector. Right now my budget is tight and were I live the stores do not have a huge variety.

I have been looking at these two however: Sharp Z15000 or Sanyo Z4000

And I am wondering which one is the best? Clearly the Sanyo has the best contrast, its also cheaper. But I want to make sure I am making the right choice.

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
What is your primary use and screen material and size?

Check the link in my signature for the Pro's and Con's on the Sanyo z4000...

Some other Sanyo links:

Sanyo Calibration Thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1331277

Sanyo vs. Mits hc4000 thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4000+vs+hc4000

Have you also considered the Mits hc4000 as another alternative from an online vendor?

You really need a High Gain screen for anything over 92" to 100" on the Sanyo. A High Power 2.4 gain screen is preferable.

That is really a tough call between these two projectors, but I would favor the Sanyo based on reviews and my own testing. I have extensively tested the Sanyo, but not the Sharp. The Sanyo has better native contrast, but the Sharp's black level floor with the DI should actually be nearly the same.

The Sanyo will almost certainly have better focus uniformity than the Sharp, as the Sanyo's focus uniformity is very very good for an LCD projector even better than most DLP's. That said, at its sharpest most focused point, the Sharp and other DLP's tend to be a tiny bit sharper than the Sanyo. Overall for movies though the Sanyo is a VERY sharp projector.

My feeling is that they both have similar lumens overall, but the Sharp's enhanced LUMEN modes are probably more bearable than the Sanyo's ONLY before calibration. Post-calibration, I would expect the Sanyo to actually have better color.

The Sanyo can do about 400 to 500 lumens in LAMP LOW in Living Mode with very few side effects to the overall image (and side effects can be calibrated out). Although some people have called Pure Cinema Sanyo's best mode, I would say that Creative Cinema post-calibration is actually the best mode of the Sanyo, it does about 350 lumens in BEST mode if I remember correctly for Creative Cinema.

The Sanyo has more calibration options and a more sophisticated calibration system overall. The Sanyo needs more primary and secondary color calibration than most LCD's OTB, whereas many LCD's can do very good skin tones with just a standard gray-scale calibration.

If you are confident in your calibration skills and either have a very small screen or a HIGH GAIN SCREEN, then I would personally pick the Sanyo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Primary use: Watching tv-series and then movies I never do gaming on the projector (Although I am design games)

Screen 92" but I might upgrade to 106". Screen: High contrast grey gain, I will be buying a new screen.

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
I would favor the Mits hc4000 for TV watching, I favor the Sanyo for movies and SCI FI.

Compared to the SHARP DLP, I would favor the Sanyo almost across the board from what I know about it, but it's hard to say.

I also know that the Sanyo's IRIS is less noticeable and much faster than the Sharp's IRIS.

Sanyo z4000 most underrated LCD projector, but mainly because of its lack of brightness. That's why I always tell people if you can pair the Sanyo with an HP screen and really know what you are doing calibration wise, then the Sanyo is a real winner.

One advantage of the Sanyo is it is much smaller than other LCD projectors, and the build quality is better than the Epsons. With the EPSON LCD's, when you get a dust blob you are screwed, with the Sanyo it's a 5 minute correction through a blow hole. Dust blobs are one of the most common problems for LCD units, and the z4000 is nearly immune (not 100% immune but close to it).

Also, a lot of people forget that the Sanyo z4000 originally debuted around $1900 to $2400 online before it dropped in price. The Sanyo has just about every goodie that the Epson 8700ub has (CFI, same D7 Panels, nice IRIS, good native contrast), except the Sanyo isn't quite as bright and the 8700ub has slightly better black levels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I watch my tv-series on Blu-ray mostly, 80% of the stuff is 720p-1080p.

I think I will go with the Sanyo. And hey, who knows if you have PayPal I'll send you a few bucks and you can help me calibrate it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devarennes
Bought the Z4000 today. I'm happy. Can't wait for my 106" high contrast screen to come..right now I'm using a no-brand 92" screen.

I'll be calibrating it tomorrow!
Congratulations, good choice ¡¡, i have this PJ one year ago and its a great PJ.

For calibration I recommend you Coderguy living mode.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20410619

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.