AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the slightly sensational thread title, but I'm looking for a brief but definitive discussion on the seeming contradictory feedback about this projector's image. I had narrowed down my choices to this projector, mostly due to the high lumen output (I plan to use a 133" screen), but the things I have read have me concerned. Below is a summary of seeming contradictory test or use results - would some of you with direct experience be so kind as to comment?

Green Push - I have read in two locations that the Z2000 has a slight green caste that can't be tweaked out.

Red push - in an Ultimate AV review, it mentioned that the projector had a red push, and was somewhat week on green

Fuzzy picture - In the forums, I have read that the projector has an image that is not as sharp as its counterparts. Others say it is razor sharp.

Bad de-interlacer - well, almost everyone is in agreement that if you feed it an interlaced signal of any kind, including 1080i, it suffers from a poor processor.

Excessive Video noise - I have read in Cnet reviews and others that there is excessive video noise in all solid fields, both light and dark.

Evan powell at PJC seems to feel this projector throws a better image than the PE8700+, and is only a step below the 12000. Other professional reviewers have summed up their review by stating that it is definitely a "budget" projector, and the image shows it.

Not wanting to spend TOO much more than the proce of the z2000, is there something out there that would throw a better image that is comparably bright? I have considered -

Benq twins - generally thought to have a slightly inferior picture than the z2000 by folks on this board.

Infocus 7205 - Infocus seems to be "on the outs" here at the forum lately, so I haven't found a ton of comparative info on this one. More expensive!

Optoma 77 - I have read the comparisons that it has a better, more refined image, but may be a bit dim for my application

Optoma 78 - Definitely a better image, but still dimmer??? and, more expensive :~)

Optoma 79 - Wonderful image, probably as bright according to PJC, but unless I can get it for within $1000 of the Sharp, probably out of my price range.

My family doesn't suffer too much from RBE - we use an Optoma H56 now and love it, but could use the higher resolution and a little more light output.

My own specific needs aside, please comment on the "issues" listed above, and if somone wants to make a direct comparison with my trusty little h56, that would be a welcome bonus.

THanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
I auditioned a Runco CL410, some other Runco that was $8000 , the Infocus 7205 abd 7210, and an Optomy H37 and H77.

The Sharp XV-Z2000 seemed about a crisp and bright as the Runco that was $8K...

For $2784, I went with the Sharp ;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...for the input. You might want to be careful mentioning street prices, as that is "verboten" in the forums. That being said - could you PM me where you looked at these projectors?

Thanks

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well, I've made some comments before on the PJ, but anyway, overall its a good projector for the money, IMO.

I've probably read most of the reviews, in the Mags like the perfect vison. I can agree with what they say for the most part, but it seems like they go overboard with some of the shortcomings of the Sharp. Maybe they are comparing it to the 12000 more than the other PJ'S, in their mind.

Personally I don't really see any green push, but some like to talk about the green a lot. I did some minor adjustments with the RBG in the service menu and the pj has a very good picture, as far as I'm concerned.

The red is somewhat pushed, but not bad and less than some. It has a sharp picture, not sure why anyone saids it doesn't. I use a HTPC on a 110 inch screen, and the desktop is very sharp.

De-interlacer, yeah, better on some other pj's, like the Infocus 7205/7210. But, I never use it on any projector I buy, so that means nothing to me. Still, its not terrible, just not as good.

Excessive Video noise, no, I don't see that, just make sure its setup right, just like you would on any pj.

I'm currently using the Sharp for myself, it replaced a IF SP-7200. Its just as bright but has better blacks, because of the Iris mostly, and its newer of course. I have access to all the Infocus pj's and I don't have a problem using the Sharp instead of the 7210. Having said that, the 7210 is of course, a very good projector, that might be slighty sharper, probably because of the lens they use, but its so close I wouldn't base a decision just on that at all. The 7210 would probably be better calibrated, out of the box also.

I like a Iris on a projector myself, instead of using a filter, and in my case the 7210 is a little too bright, making the blacks too gray for me, on 110 inch screen.

But, if price isn't the reason to not buy the 7210, then I'd look very close at it.

All this is just my opinion of course, based on what I see and projectors I've used and can access to see personally.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THanks, Larry, for the info.

I think the z2000 suffers from "niche market" placement - its at the low end for the folks in the "high end" forum and of little interest, and its not eligible to be discussed in the low-end forum.

Being a usual "low-end forum dweller", I had heard of the z2000 only a little, and it was always that the projectors there (Benq twins, 16/9 LCD's, etc) were "fantastic, just UNDER the performance of the Sharp z2000". Apparantly, it doesn't command the same respect of those willing to pay twice or three times it's street price,

I have owned several projectors over the last 6 years (I was an early adpter), and have been pleased with them all, as well as pleased with each step up in picture quality. The H56 we have now throws a very nice image, but I could use a little brighter image, and I hate throwing away the extra pixels (its 4/3). Hving come into a little extra money from wrok recently, the upgrade bug has me, but I worry that trading the optoma for the sharp (or the benq/Toshiba) would not be much of a step up in quality. Your info was a help.

Any other opnions on the Sharp z2000?

·
Registered
220 Posts
What's wrong with mentioning street prices? I looked up the Sharp XV-Z2000 on http://www.zdnet.com , they listed about 10 companies that carried the projector... there was about a $1500 difference between the highest and lowest price.

I am in no way affiliated with any HT company. I certainly understand that this is not my webpage, I do not pay for the bandwidth, and that I am a guest here. I dont recall reading anywhere not to post what I personally paid for a piece of HT equipment? Heck, even BestBuy and Circuit City are willing to match each other's pricing...

If I come across a great deal and am not allowed to tell others here about it, then I guess this probably not a HT community in which I wish to belong to.

None the less, I viewed several of the above projectors at a place called "The Gramophone" on Woodward Avenue, Oakland Township (I think) Michigan when on vacation a couple weeks ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.