AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using Augie's calculator (thanks, Augie), I calculate that, on a 123" screen, the Sharp in its 800 lumen mode generates the following lamberts (numbers rounded):

On a Greyhawk (.95 gain) - 17

On a Studiotek 130 (1.30 gain) - 23

In the 600 lumens mode, the numbers are:

On a Greyhawk - 13

On a Studiotek 130 - 17

I know that 8 lamberts is generally considered the minimum for a completely dark theater, so things are fine on either screen in either mode there. But what if, like for many of us, there will be some ambient light (or we actually want to watch sports with the lights on). Is 17 enough? What this really comes down to, of course, is what the right screen for the Z9000 is?

Thoughts?

Drew

·
Registered
806 Posts
Drew,

First of all, I haven't kept track, is the 800 fl real? Second, that is with a new bulb, how much does a broken in bulb put out? Third, is that number before or after calibration?

And lastly, I don't think 8fl is acceptable at all. You want to shoot for 16fl in a darkened theater. Some people would say 25-30 and beyond for rooms with some ambient light.

I bought a G11 thinking I could get away with it, but entered the next G15 power buy when I actually tried it for myself, (I'll be selling my G11 soon).

With my G15 I think that I will end up with 15 or so in my darkened theater after calibration. That is acceptable to me. The G11 was more like 10 and IT wasn't.

Your call, but I'd see if you could demo a unit over a weekend before making the mistake I did.

Phil

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil--

If true, that implies that the Greyhawk may be too dark for a Sharp Z9000--especially with a room that has some ambient light or has the lights on.

And that's even with the maximum lumens (i.e. bulb brand new).

Drew

·
Registered
855 Posts
Phil -

Although I agree that pre-calibration/post-calibration brightness numbers are different, on the Sharp 9000, they *shouldn't* be as dramatically so as a business projector because the 9000 is tuned more for HT out of the box.

From what I've read here, you throw away ~50% of the maximum brightness for PQ (contrast and accurate colors) on the current G-series D-ILAs. Maybe they should be called G5, G7.5, etc. instead of their current badges? :) IF THIS IS TRUE, I *believe* a calibrated G15 will be about the same brightness (when using it's full panel) as a calibrated Sharp 9000 (when using it's full panel).

I'm really looking forward to an accurate measurement of the Sharp, though.

Drew -

I agree with Phil, 8 Ft. Lamberts is not enough. BTW, SMPTE says 12.5 for dark theaters, not 8. I have ~17 on my screen (matte white, 1.0 gain) right now and can stand just enough light to see where I'm walking and what I'm eating during sports. My wife, on the other hand, can turn the lights up enough to read by and is satisfied with the picture. Different strokes and all of that.

MY Bottom line: It is a personal taste thing so you need to see it before you buy it OR find a REALLY good return policy.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you have ambient light, you'll want GrayHawk. Higher gain screens will simply amplify that ambient light thereby washing out

the picture somewhat. Stewart does an interesting demonstration with DLP's and a split screen -- half GrayHawk/half 1.3. As they raise the ambient light the picture holds up on the gray side and gradually washes out on the 1.3 side.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've found the Greyhawk preferable to their Studiotek 130. Add just a little ambient light, and the colors on the Greyhawk are definitely better. One compromise might be to set up the PJ so that you can zoom down the image if you want to watch with any ambient light. 123" is a lot to ask out of a 100 L PJ, even with a white screen.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Thanks to the nice folks at Sharp, we are suppose to have a 9000 at our facility next week. We will take light measurements, including on/off contrast ratio, and evaluate compatibility when used with perforated screens.

Regards,

Don

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to the nice folks at Sharp, we are suppose to have a 9000 at our facility next week. We will take light measurements, including on/off contrast ratio, and evaluate compatibility when used with perforated screens.
Don Fantastic news. I look forward to your response and to see what screen will match the Sharp XV-Z9000 specifically for my room listed here in your thread for the Sharp 9000-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=87669

Spero D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.