AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently aquired a Sharp Z9000 and I've performed basic AVIA calibration, but I have a couple of questions. I've used the search engine to look for this data, but didn't seem to find what I'm looking for ...

1) Any tweaks to reduce absolute black level. Black with this Z9000 is not quite black ... more dark grey I would say. I seem to remember that a filter can help with this issue, but I'm not sure which one, or how to mount it to the lens ?

2) Some posts refer to Service Menu tweaks - what are the magic fooprints to enter the Service Mode, and once there, which values need to be tweaked.

3) Screen - I'm thinking cheap here, and would consider the Dalite Model B HCMW if it weren't for all of the "wrinkle / wave" posts, so I'm leaning towards the Dalite Model B HiPower ( which I have used before in conjunction with an NEC LT150 and got nice results ) - Any suggestions ( what works well for you )

Overall I'm quite happy with the image - I was very sensitive to rainbows with the LT150, but so far I've not been bothered by them with this PJ.

Thanks

Martin

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
color correction filters can improve most digital pjs. I am no sharp 9000 owner though. so i don't know which color.

James

·
Registered
418 Posts
AVIA or Video Essentials is a good start. Adjust the black level and contrast with Video Essentials (make sure your DVD player passes below black, however). To fine tune the contrast, go to the fish jumping up the small waterfall scene and adjust the contrast to just below where the fine detail crushes into an all white blur (when you start messing with the control you will see what I mean). To fine tune the brightness setting, walk right up to the screen while displaying the pluge pattern and adjust the bright level until the majority of the gray/black "wiggling ants" are just black and not wiggling any more. You should just be able to see the above black bar at that time, all else is black.

Good luck with the 9000, it is a great projector. I've had mine for 1.5 years and have had no problems with it. I'm on my second bulb. HDTV is absolutely stunning and people are continually amazed at the picture my system delivers. I've had a Sharp 10000 in my system and it is better, but most casual viewers won't notice the difference. Instead of spending the money on a new projector, I re-did my room with theater chairs, paint, decorating and sound treatment panels. I will upgrade the projector when prices fall further and they can lick the temporal dithering on fast horizontal panning. I can live with the contrast as it is still better than LCD and most DILA projectors. ENJOY!

mooneycj

Oh, almost forgot. Set the color temp to -2 and the gamma setting to gamma 2. Put the projector on bright mode and make sure to turn off the video noise reduction under the options screen. Sharpness should be in the -10 to -15 range.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mooneycj
Good luck with the 9000, it is a great projector. I've had mine for 1.5 years and have had no problems with it. (...) I've had a Sharp 10000 in my system and it is better, but most casual viewers won't notice the difference. Instead of spending the money on a new projector, I re-did my room with theater chairs, paint, decorating and sound treatment panels. I will upgrade the projector when prices fall further and they can lick the temporal dithering on fast horizontal panning.
This is one of the best common sense comment I read since long time on AVS forum.

Maybe because I'm following a very similar way ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.