AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
"DVD scaled to 720p from my home-theater PC also looked very good on the XV-Z9000U, although I was disappointed to learn this resolution is not supported on the projector's VGA computer input."

Quote from the first link. Does this mean that it doesn't support 1280x720 from computer VGA output? Sony did this mistake on the 10HT. Well, perhaps next projector with 1280x720 DMD then.

·
Registered
15,492 Posts
No digital video inputs and support for the copy protection codes... no sale.

This thing may be obsolete very quickly, even if it does do an admirable job.

At just under $10,000 it would be a monumental waste of money unless you have dollars to burn (in that case, can I have some?). http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dan

------------------

STOP HDCP/5C and The MPAA!!

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
Help me understand.

I know there's alot going on with digital copy protection and HDTV signals...

but for all existing HDTV decoders with analog component outputs...wouldn't they continue to work on the projector? What about HDTV cards for PCs that can format output via analog vga cables? I mean...that's what connects your computer monitor to your PC...right?

Will this equipment no longer function when the new copy protection stuff takes effect?

-dave

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They mention an "optional digital decoder" for HDTV, which obviously references the upcoming digital protection schemes.

How do other current projectors plan to handle these digital HDTV protection issues, will they be compatible like the Sharp is, or will they simply be obsolete??

-- Cain

·
Registered
280 Posts
Cain:

Etiquette, please.

When I started a thread a few days ago with a link to the SGHT review, you attacked the article as a "teaser" and implied that everyone but me knew that the SGHT author was the same fellow who had already posted his evaluation on our forum. Since I didn't want to waste forum bandwidth with redundant information, and partly because of your rudeness, I deleted the thread.

So now you're starting it up again?

A little courtesy goes a long way.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Huh?? Me??

I never attacked you, and have no recollection of saying anything about a "teaser" (I'm not even sure what that means.) Perhaps someobe else in the thread said something derogatory, and it got lumped into my comments about the author being around here.

I wanted everyone to know that was the same guy who posted lots of good, detailed info his other thread, so folks who have an interest in this projector could go look there.

I kept looking, and looking and looking for your thread but could not find it, or the link it contained so I recreated it.

Your link was great, and much appreciated by me and others.

I apologize if you misinterpreted me pointing out that the author was "one of our own" as being somehow negative. I certainly did not mean it to come out that way.

Thank you for the link, I would have not seen it otherwise.

If I was rude to you I promise it was by accident I certainly meant nothing negative.

-- Cain

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Hitchman:
No digital video inputs and support for the copy protection codes... no sale.

This thing may be obsolete very quickly, even if it does do an admirable job.

At just under $10,000 it would be a monumental waste of money unless you have dollars to burn (in that case, can I have some?). http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dan

Why is this true? Shouldnt you always be able to use the RGB input on the projector?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
the new Barco will cost $15,000+ so.... cool off guys http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

as for the Sharp: why not using a VGA-SXGA to components converter with the HTPC ? Kramer has such devices I think but I agree Sharp seems to have made a big mistake of refusing 720p on its VGA RGB input indeedn, if it is true.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
This looks like one of the "top five" right now for sure.

The only other thing I'd be thinking about (besides copy protection) is the dollar-per-lumen ratio. With only 800 lumens for $10K, it seems pretty steep to me.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Mark H - Have you seen this projector in action and thought it was dim or are you comparing the Sharp specs against the inflated specs of uncalibrated business projectors?

------------------

Huck

·
Banned
455 Posts
To clarify,

I didn't say the 9000 will not do 1:1. I said that I did not have the SharpVision Magager disc, which is required to create a custom 1280x720 resolution for the 9000. Once that's done, you should be able to pixel map correctly.

Yes, the lack of a DVI input is a sad oversight.

Best Regards,

Pat

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
"Have you seen this projector in action and thought it was dim"

I thought it came up a bit short on brightness, i.e., a sumlit scene in Twister did not look satisfyingly illuminated to me, compared to my RPTV. It was subjectively similar to my experience at most movie theaters. It was on a 8' wide micrpoerf, don't know the gain.

------------------

Noah

[This message has been edited by noah katz (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Quote:
the new Barco will cost $15,000+ so.... cool off guys
David

Yes but the street will be a lot less and with DVI and SDI it looks pretty well equipped. The Seleco is retail at that sort of price range as well. If I do invest in one of the new Dlps, I would want it to be able to take a digital signal because that is the future. Any links on the Barco stuff?

Pat

That's good that the rumour was wrong, because without being able to bypass the Sharp scaler Sharp would have been shooting themselves in the foot big time. No DVI is a deal killer though and I am surprised they missed that.

The Barco is very interesting, as Barco is one of the big guns in Digital theater along with Christies and IMAX Corp.

I might have to check this (Barco) out along with the short list of Seleco/DWIN.

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Everyone keeps saying $10,000 This thing will drop to 6800.00 to 7300.00 in no time at all.

------------------

Mike

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Wallis:
Quote:
the new Barco will cost $15,000+ so.... cool off guys
David

Yes but the street will be a lot less and with DVI and SDI it looks pretty well equipped. The Seleco is retail at that sort of price range as well. If I do invest in one of the new Dlps, I would want it to be able to take a digital signal because that is the future.
Just because it has a DVI port does not mean it's future proof. If the DVI port does not have the HDCP encryption built in then the DVI port will be just as useless as the component/RGB input if/when the MPAA institutes their copy protection scheme.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
No doubt the lack of bypassing the scaler and doing 1:1 pixel mapping will be a deal killer for quite a few.

It is surprising they have not learnt from the Sony 10Hts mistake. You would think the marketing boys could have picked up on this as they looked at the history of the competition.

Perhaps the other issue that is also going to get them in drama is the lack of a digital connection. It would seem as though everyone else has addressed this in the 1280x720 (HD1 chip).

Some pretty glaring ommissions that would seem to indicate a life span that will be shortened greatly as the competition floods the market by the beginning of next year.

IMHO

DavidW

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.