AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ummm, sorry for the dumb question, but I use my projector for normal NTSC TV viewing (which is most of the time) as well as DVDs. I have a 4:3 screen so the NTSC with my old Sharp z5000 is fine and I dont care about the letterbox/16:9 gaps on the screen during dvds.

Can someone tell me if the NTSC signal can be outputed as 4:3 with the new dLPs form Sharp, Seleco/Marantz etc ?.... or will everything be outputed and unchangable from 16:9?

Sorry about the dumb question but there is not much chat about normal NTSC TV on the new DLP threads.

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
this is the issue that noone seems to know yet. dwin and sharp make their own deinterlacers and marantz and seleco have the faroudja. see my other thread on cedia.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008723.html

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow greg... that we quick.... more like chat than a message board !! Thanks for that... maybe someone can ask at Cedia and let us know. I will see I can ask at my HT shop ( www.avac.co.jp ) here in Tokyo later on today (lunch with the wife first !!).

cheers

adam

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi Adam,

When you go to Avac later today, could you ask a couple of things about the Sharp XV-Z9000:

1. If English can be selected as the OSD menu language. Please verify this for yourself is possible.

2. If it would be technically possible to upload an American or European firmware version into a Japanese version of the projector.

3. Would they get an export model for a customer if asked? If not, is this model available at LAOX?

Thanx!

·
Premium Member
24,993 Posts
I saw the Sharp 9000 today; with Super Speedway, a 4:3 DVD and using a progressive player, it was displayed as 4:3 (full height, black bars on the sides.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Noah, that's encouraging, but im not sure that it gives us a final answer for NTSC tv input (svideo usually?). Im kind of hoping that it will give you the choice somehow of displaying 4:3.

How did the 4:3 dvd come up - did you have to make any adjustments or did it austomatically do this?

Also didn't I read that you have a 16:9 screen in another post... ?

cheers

adam

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another related quetsion (maybe harder ?)- i occasionally move from NTSC to PAL bradcassting countires.... what difference would this make to the bradcast TV picture that the sharp/seleco 16:9 DLPs output if any?

Cheers

adam

·
Premium Member
24,993 Posts
Adam,

We didn't do anything special, just popped in the DVD and it played correctly.

It was a 16:9 screen.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Just so everyone knows,

Most 16x9 TVs and projectors all work basically the same way. There are bound to be exceptions, but unless someone says otherwise, here's what to expect from a native 16x9 display:

It defaults to a 4x3 window area with vertical windowboxing bars filling up the remaining width of the 16x9 areas. Some displays may not default to 4x3 when turned on, but they offer this viewing mode via a menu.

It can display 16x9 material in "full" mode using the full 16x9 area. Some displays can auto-sense certain 16x9 signals and go into this mode automatically when a 16x9 signal is sensed.

Most 16x9 diplays have a manual "zoom" feature with expands the image of a 4x3 encoded source to fill the 16x9 frame by cropping off the top and bottom. This is ideal for 4x3 letterboxed programming, but can also work for some 4x3 full-frame material like TV if it's not too big a deal.

Some 16x9 displays offer even more viewing/zooming options, but these are the 3 basic that almost ALL have.

-dave

[This message has been edited by DaViD Boulet (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dave, so in lay terms are you saying that the Sharp dLP is likely to output 4:3 NTSC TV images, buton a 4:3 screen there would be some form of black frame (on the sides)...?

Did anyone see NTSC TV output on any DLP at CEDIA, especially the sharp ?..... this is something that I guess you never get to see at HT shops too.

Anyone ?

Cheers

adam

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
While it was already stated, I would like to concur with what David Boulet stated.

In fact, I think it would be ridiculous if any 16x9 display did NOT allow for such options.

I am sure you don't see it mentioned, because it is already assumed that a 16x9 projector will have various modes for displaying 4x3 material, the most basic of which is pillarboxed (ie. bars on the sides).

------------------

David Mendicino

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.