AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help in choosing. I wandered what the groups (Z9000 owners/ dealers) thoughts were as to the ideal mate video processor with the Sharp Z9000?? Is it the NRS or TAW's The Rock. Has anyone first hand experience with either set-up? Pros vs Cons thoughts much appreciated.

Dr D

·
Registered
555 Posts
I am also interested in this question. I saw the 9000 with a Runco scaler (the 5K model) and DVD looked excellent scaled to 720P. The only problem I noticed was during the advertizement in the beggining of X Files for other FOx films when the scenes changed very quickly. THere was a lot awitching between film and video I believe (I am not an expert) and I saw what looked like "scan lines" on a few occassions. WHen I demoed the same DVD on a NEC 935 8" CRT with the FAroudja NR these "lines" were not visable. Someone said they believe the "lines" might be the Runco not applying 3/2 pulldown as quickly as the Faroudja.

Other than that, however, I actually preferred both the upscaled DVD and HD picture on the 9000 with the Runco.

·
Registered
72 Posts
To pile another question on top . . . .

If the Sharp internal scaler is as good as people say (Don Stewart, in another thread, called it the best internal scaler he's seen), couldn't you feed it a line-doubled signal (through the DVDO Iscan Pro)? I would then be deinterlaced using a Faroudja/Silicon Image chip. Since the Sharp scales so well, you could save the scaling costs associated with the NRS or the Rock, but still get top notch deinterlacing? Would that work well?

Drew

·
Registered
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by abigpicture
I am experimenting with the DVDO Pro , and Crystal image with the 9000. So far I simply prefer the Sharp's plug and play internal scaler...(at least with NTSC signals.)

I totally agreed. The internal scaler though not as good when compared to NRS, but not far behind. Yet the Iscan Pro is really not up to par.

Cam

·
Registered
319 Posts
Would someone help explain what is needed and what is not.

The way I understand it, video processors are available that do several things:

1. Scaling

2. 3/2 pulldown

3. Deinterlacing

4. Line doubling

What Royalswain is saying in his post is that the Sharp internal scaler is good enough to eliminate the need for No. 1. (Does this mean that the Sharp internal scaler will scale all inputs to a certain scale rate. If so what is the rate?)

If the Sharp internal scaler will take care of No. 1 above, will the DVDO Iscan pro, or perhaps another processor, do 2-4 above?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Quote:
1. Scaling

2. 3/2 pulldown

3. Deinterlacing

4. Line doubling
items 2 - 4 actually are all the same thing. Most scalers/deinterlacers used to be called "line doublers" on the street. That's generally what that (bad) term still refers to.

3-2 pulldown is special kind of deinterlacing applied to film sources originating on 24 fps film transfered to video at 60 fields-per-second.

So it really breaks into 2 halves: Scaling and deinterlacing.

Deinterlacing then has several elements:

does it have the ability to do 3-2 pulldown for film and how good/fast is the detection for film sources?

How good is the quality when deinterlacing native 480I video...which really involves interpolation and motion detection.

-dave

p.s. the IScan Pro is not a scaler at all...but just a pure deinterlacer. I can't see how it could hurt for sources like VHS and LD except that it might reduce the horiztonal resolution just a tad due to not having the world's greatest a/d converters.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks, guy, for clarifying what I was asking better than I stated it. That is, since the Sharp takes away the need for the NRS scaling functions (#1), is the NRS even necessary, or is the IScan Pro enough for deinterlacing (#2 - #4) above. Any further opinions would be really helpful. I already have an IScan Pro, so this is obviously a big issue for me.

Drew

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks group. You've all really given me a feast for thought. I hope Alan reads this thread since AVS sells the NRS.

I just want a pristine, crystal clear image with both NTSC sources (DSS, VHS) and of course dvd. I hear that the TAW Rock can handle 480p input (from progressive scan dvd) or 480i from dish and video "process" it to 720p quality. It definitely has a plethora of inputs and allows you to dial in the "refresh rate" whatever that means. But is it worth the $5k??

Since the Z9000 has a 16 x 9 chip, 1280 x 720 res. how would the NRS' listed output res of 1280 x 768 affect it? I plead ignorance here? Also, what "refresh rate" is appropriate for the Z9000? I know that there is a separate "video processor forum"but since the main topic really is the Z9000, I hope no one takes issue.

Dr D

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
neither the rock nor the NRS can scale any progressive feed; instead, they pass it through. the vig, on the other hand will. the impression seems to be that feeding an external scaler/de-interlacer, like the rock or nrs, an interlaced dvd signal will produce a better pq than using the progressive output from a dvd player directly.

the possible advantage to scaling a progressive input (as the vig can do) is if the de-imterlacing is done better in the player, not usually the case.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dr1574
Since the Z9000 has a 16 x 9 chip, 1280 x 720 res. how would the NRS' listed output res of 1280 x 768 affect it?
The 1280 x 768 resolution is probably for the Pioneer plasma. It is the "HD display" that appears in Faroudja's spec equivalent to 1280x720.

Cam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.