AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST FOR THE HECK OF IT I THOUGHT I WOULD POST MY IMPRESSIONS OF MY SHARP Z9000 WITH NRS VS MY PREVIOUS RUNCO 852 LINE DOUBLED PROJECTOR.

SHARP..100" VUTEC GRAYDOVE RUNCO..156" VUTEC 1.5 GAIN

VIEWING DISTANCE 12 FEET 23 FEET

THE SHARP HAS A BEAUTIFUL, CRISP IMAGE WITH BLACKS THAT SEEM AS BLACK AS THE RUNCO AND NICE REDS. ITS ALSO BRIGHTER OF COURSE AND I CAN EASILY WATCH IT IN CINEMA MODE[600 LUMENS]. THE RUNCO WAS PROBABLY SMOOTHER BUT TAKING THE NRS DETAIL DOWN A FEW CLICKS HELPED THE SHARP. THERE WAS PROBABLY A HAIR MORE SHADOW DETAIL IN THE RUNCO ALSO. THE RUNCO WAS WAY NOISIER AND OF COURSE HAD TO BE CONVERGED ONCE A YEAR. DONT KNOW WHAT RAINBOW IS CAUSE I DONT SEE ANY AND MOSQUITOS, BANDING, ETC ARE PROBABLY NOT PRESENT IN ANY QUANTITIES TO BE BOTHERSOME. THAT DAMN EE IN SWE1 IS PDA THOUGH. ANYWAY THATS JUST MY UNDISCIPLINED 2CENTS THOUGHTS . I CAN'T IMAGINE THE IMAGE GETTING TOO MUCH BETTER WITH DVDS . ITS A REALLY NICE PROJECTOR AND THE VUTEC GRAYDOVE SEEMS RIGHT FOR IT. MORE GAIN ON THIS SIZE WOULD BE TOO MUCH UNLESS YOU WATCHED IN CINEMA MODE. SVS ULTRAS AND MONITOR AUDIO SPEAKERS ARE THE DANCING PARTNERS TO THIS SETUP. SWEEET NOISE!! ALL IN ALL I'D PICK THE SHARP

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
It would be nice to compare them on the same size screen...156" seems way too big for the Runco. BTW are your measurements diagonal or width?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
samalmoe- Thanks for your thoughts on the Sharp XV-Z9000U. Did you notice any lip sync problems and can you please reply in a non CAP typing as it is hard to read.

Spero D.

·
Premium Member
24,319 Posts
"THE SHARP HAS A BEAUTIFUL, CRISP IMAGE WITH BLACKS THAT SEEM AS BLACK AS THE RUNCO"

Is this true in dark scenes, or only to black areas in brighter scenes?

Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ever since he thawed, he's been UNABLE TO MODULATE THE VOLUME OF HIS VOICE

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jeff...those measurements are diagonal. yes everyone says you cant run a 7' crt at that size or something awful will happen. but my dealer had his set up at that size and it looked beautiful so i did it and it looked really good and not really dim. i did crank brightness up to about 70% but that still gave the tubes a long life.

spero.. i've been trying to decide if there is a few frame lip sync problem and its like throwing up..if you start thinking about it its cause you're ggonna do it. i started thinking about lip sync so i have a feeling there must be a little delay. gonna have to yank the nrs and see what happens then.

noah.. if you looked at a space scene the blacks to my eye were about the same. certainly a lot darker than the dark gray letterbox bands.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Aighh! Even with a 156" DIAGONAL screen, at 1.78 and a 1.5 gain, you're talking about < 4 ftL for the poor Runco...I've seen brighter candles! As an aside, I'm guessing this is the first--and perhaps only--recorded case of someone moving from CRT to digital and shrinking the screen at the same time.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Noah, you are a wise man.

That is another thing I have been trying to say....even the worst of projectors produce good blacks when enclosed by a large white area, if the black area is small.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Guys, if you want great blacks put the lens cap on.

-Mr. Wigggles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.