Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how good is the z9000 scaler & 3:2 conversion compared

to the marantz, would an outboard nrs be beneficial or

getting a good dvd player with 3:2 conversion be better.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's not quite as good as the Marantz as far as the built-in scaler goes but I'm not complaining......I'm using the Sony 9000ES DVD player and the picture's phenominal! Sure, you can still buy a Faroudja NRS for it, but then, for the same price, you could have gotten a Marantz. If your're watching mostly DVD's, just make sure to get a good progressive scan player (thus, by-passing the scler) and enjoy!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, would you by chance have any screen shots that you could post, i have a sony 7700 would the

3/2 be good enough in the pj or would getting a dcdi or

si504 chip equipped dvd player be better, trying to keep

cost down.....

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Then keep the cost down!

Purchase the Sharp 9000 and connect it to your 7700 in YUV. That's the player I have which has been tried several times with a Sharp 9000 (both european versions, the player being moded as macro off and multiregion).

For film, just set the progressive mode of the Sharp to Film Mode; for video, set the progressive mode to 3D. You'll be really satisfied with the picture, as well with PAL as with NTSC material.

After having made your own opinion/judgement with that combo, then you may look for a "modern" progressive player.

Carlos

·
Registered
66 Posts
Car_rod, I am seriously thinking about getting the Sharp as well and I have got sony 7000 dvd player (non progressive). I am wondering if you noticed much lip sync with your combo? Also does the sharp 9000E do 2:2 pull down for pal dvd? The flickering , dead pixels and more cost of marantz VP 12S1 makes it less appealing alternatives.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm no expert on the subject, but all I can say is my new sharp 9000 is excellent without any external scalers. Although, NTSC is so strange, I watched the Nets last night and it looked just ok. But this is with a 119" screen. Then I watched XFiles in Widescreen and it looked almost perfect also on a 119" screen. I 'm not sure what makes some programs look good and others look bad. I am using a D-TiVo and maybe this has something to do with it, not sure. But, before you buy anything else just give it a try. It looks very impressive without any outside help.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What's the going "street price" for the Sharp 9000 nowadays? I know it lists for 10k. I'm not looking for specific deals, just a ballpark price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.