Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI.

The first Sharp XV-Z 9000 was tested in Germany a few days ago, with rave reviews! Contrast seems to be a lot better that available projectors today. The 1000/1100/1200 :1 contrast seems to be almost met.

- additional cinema mode (similar to SonyHT10)

- 32 db

- new DM3 Chip

- RGBRGB colorwheel

- 16:9 DLP 1280x720

- 5 Input´s

Component 1+2 or RGB HV, HD 15 VGA, F-bas and s-video

RS 232, FB Remote u. Trigger +-12 Volt f. screen etc.

- DVI can be implemented as an option

- Option to have projector equiped with ISCO II are being discussed.

Should be coming out Oct/Nov 2001 price ?

Gamma,rgb,sharpness with PS signal etc.etc.etc....

Ther are too many things to point out.

Maybe I'll manage to translate the german text.

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
- Option to have projector equiped with ISCO II are being discussed.

Ummm Why? Its already 16:9 native.

If you could post the review it would be great.

Spero D.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hmm...I thought it was supposed to be RGBWRGBW, ie. still a clear section, was this changed?

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If they can get this thing under $8K, this is gonna be a hot item.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
** german text transalted to english**:

Sharp Germany had today a first demonstration at my dealer in HL. with the new 16:9 DLP Projector.Marketing of Sharp where interested in checking opinions before issuing the final product. Aimed at HT-market and not for the "normal" presentation models. At the moment this test device is the only one in Germany. This is not a final product, so there is still some place for inprovments. This projector isn't yet fully optimized, nor has it the last software state.

In fact Sharp is asking us users first, before finalizing their equipment, should show how eager they are to do it right.

Source http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif roceed HP DVD,

Dealer Component/Interlaced Pioneer DVD Player (DVD Audio device) + Deainterlacer Panasonic TU 100 E. Moreover in addition another analogous HDTV signal (LD 1080 i) for comparison purposes with PS.

One thing to point out is, that the device delivers "real" 800 Ansilumen (not over 1000!!!) and possess one cinemamode with 600 Ansilumen. In the cinema mode the soundlevel is "real" 32 dBS (the colorwheel here is very quite and can not to be heard). The Resorohr principle (to minimize noiselevel) takes the air from AHEAD to(left and right of the lens) and the warm air gets pushed out at the rear right(over filters in a very well sealed enclosure/Construction).

The incredible contrast is actually around 1100 to 1, which represents the tip of the doable at the moment. The new DM3 chip with RGBRGB colorwheel and 1280X720 resolution is being used. Momentarily 5 Input´s exist (Componente 1+2 or RGB HV, HD 15 VGA, F-bas and s-video)---network, RS 232, FB Remote and Trigger + -12 volts for screen. It is missing therefore the DVI Input, but that is in the conversation and might become available as an option. Software Updates per RS 232. Standardlens. Sharp in the middle of discussing new lensoptions with ISCO to acomodate all kinds of set-ups. This "option" for the projector/lens is adapted in such a way so that no performance will be lost. This development should be expected about 3 months after the projector hits the market(!!! however it's part of the concept.

Manual. Zoom + Fokus (not motorized).

A real Inovation however, is the RemoteControl.All relevant functions can be directly accessed.

Input 1-5 with signal notice; Kelvin; format switch in 4 steps; Gamma in 4 steps; Cinemamode; menu; a/from; Curser cross; Enter; Undo;Light; Mode-deinterlacing access; key for 12 volt exits ; Keystonecorrection. In the projectormenu are then yet RGB color position separated to regulate, sharpness (also in PS via YUV), Brightness, contrast, Blacklevel, white, color etc. + Top Sharp Autosync function, that can quickly sinc. to the signal. Otherwise yet some parameters, that simplify use with the SHARP.

Size of used screen 220X125 cm, distance min. 4,2 meters: Immediately attached the PMDT HP with a 576 P signal and... wow! What a picture dispite a little of light in the room.

DVD Gladiator + Titan AE).

The blacklevel was exemplary, really black and differentiated. Simply more details and no sceendoor effect showed(even from 1m away hardly no screendoor, very CRT-like). Movement appeared very homogeneous., however not flawless, since the Deiterlacing hasn't been completed yet intirely. Also the "crawlies" in moving Objects with almost same Color (to see on the Titanic DVD-both Component PS/Interl and f-bas Standard) points at a not yet "finished" video processing. This points will be addressed and where already on Sharp's todo list. Strangley on the Gladiator dvd non of these deinterlacing and crawlies could be notices---strange! NTSC DVD T2 (480 P) didn't shown any problems either.480P scaled signals seem to work perfectly, 576P (PAl) has to be improved.

The Colors represented already very good CRT level, with fluent transitions (very fine gradation), faces or also sky scenes where very differentiated (also without crawalies-yes ProgressivScan has enormous advantages). Here the higher resolution appears clearly as an advantage! The blacklevel was again unique! Also the white (that is white not grey/light grey) to no moment seemed to bright. Details always where visible.After changing to the s-video Interlaced DVD Player, :-( everything changed, all the tipical problems with interlaced signals poped up, only the colors where fine(however not as good as with PS component). Also F-bas is NO permanet solution with this projector allthough result are ok, this kind of connection can?t be recommended!

The picture was three-dimensional and in the movements absolutely clean. The PS signal of the Proceed (DVD) showed however (almost) the same picture performance as the HDTV signal from the japanese LD-player(with well mastered. DVD´s).Writing was even "sharper" on the lines. Except for the slightly smoother movement in the HDTV signal, there was no recognizable differences or advantages that could be seen over the PS signal.

RESULT: This projector has the potential to become the Top home movie theater projector (almost sure), even this pre-production unit showed the advantages in the 16:9 chip. I won't do any comparisons to other projectors at the moment, because the Sharp isn't yet entirely finished. However I can't see any real "adversary" at the moment(IMO), but that then everybody should judge/test on their own.

The advantages (picture, 16:9, save mode, forth. Lens Shift, connections, minm. Noise development, very robust impression, DM3 chip, RGBRGB) speak for themselfes.

If the mentioned points are altered for PAL 576P,crawlies with PAL, motionartifacts also in PAL. Who knows :))

This is not yet a finished product, but if all missing points are addressed before the actual products is launched.......this might be the projector we all have been waiting for......

If anybody of you have suggestions on what should be altered or implemented there is still time to do so. Maybe we can forward the suggestions on to Sharp?

Cheers

Anthony

PS:

1. THIS TEXT WAS PREVIOUSLY POSTED FROM A GERMAN FORUM-MEMBER (ANDY R.), ALL CREDIT AND WORK IS HIS. I ONLY TRIED TO TRANSLATE HIS COMMENTS FROM GERMAN TO ENGLISH!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your detailed report. I have only one question. I heard that the color wheel of Sharp is unique which is RGBRGBRGB (nine sections) vs. RGBRGB (six sections) from one reliable source. Can you confirm that?

Xiaoyu,

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Quote:
Movement appeared very homogeneous., however not flawless, since the Deiterlacing hasn't been completed yet intirely. Also the "crawlies" in moving Objects with almost same Color (to see on the Titanic DVD-both Component PS/Interl and f-bas Standard) points at a not yet "finished" video processing.
This would diffently have to be addressed before I bought it as this is what turned me off the 10HT.

Spero D.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The 9000 was the unit I had been waiting for. When i found that it was going to still be off for months I went with the LT 150. Time has passed and the LT 150 is selling dirt cheap. The Sharp was initially suppoed to be up in the $9000 catagory.

I hope it is a good unit when it comes to market... then I will have to take a look to see if the buyers remorse sets in. The only remorse now is that I bought the NEC 4 weeks before the $1000 price drop.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
We wait wtih baited breath!

Any idea how this projector might look with old-fashioned laserdisc? I've got a lot of them in addition to 16x9 PS DVD http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I read the comments about S-video. I take it that there is no 3-2 pulldown in the de-interlacer you saw? Do they have plans to incorporate a decent deinterlacer for 480i video like the sage chip?

I'd love to get a watchable picture out of my laserdisc collection. Does the projector have a good comb-filter?

Some of us are on real budgets and can't afford the outboard scalers we'd like to have!

You commented that good DVD looked almost as good as the HDTV (muse?) image from the Japanese LD source. Does that mean that DVD can look that spectacular or does that mean that the HDTV image wasn't quite as spectacular as one might have hoped?

Feel free to just go on and on about this projector. You can't bore us!

dave http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by DaViD Boulet (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi Boys,

I want to add that Isco is working on wideangle-attachements espacially for the Sharp to get a shorter throw-ratio. It does not stretch the picture like the 16:9 attachements!

Greetings from France, Walter

------------------

Graz, home town of the Terminator...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had two dealers in the Detroit area tell me today that they would have the new Sharp in stock "in a couple of weeks". I pressed them for more detail but that was all they knew, or would say.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Although, an ISCO anamorphic would allow you to do anamorphic 2.35:1...

Regards,

Kam Fung

*edit for spelling*

[This message has been edited by KFung (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sharp Z9000 MSRP is $9995 and we are told it should ship in August. A Sharp factory rep (not our local rep) was in town last week and told us the filter is RGBRGB. The sample was an "engineering sample" and not a production model, so I won't make any comment about its quality.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
TonyV's post with translation of the German text (earlier in this thread) says that the Sharp has "15 VGA", which I would have read to mean a DB-15 for the VGA input.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.