AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to adjust user settings on my Samsung DLP using Avia. When I display the sharpness pattern, the sharpness adjustment does absolutely nothing. I can't tell a difference between the 0 setting and the 100 setting. Is it possible my set is damaged?

Thanks!

·
Banned
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoter /forum/post/0

I am trying to adjust user settings on my Samsung DLP using Avia. When I display the sharpness pattern, the sharpness adjustment does absolutely nothing. I can't tell a difference between the 0 setting and the 100 setting. Is it possible my set is damaged?

Thanks!

Using AVIA with a DLP set is like using a screwdriver to adjust the warp-drive on the starship Enterprise.

Get Digital Video Essentials or AVIA Pro for that set. The resolution patterns are mastered in HD and are more suitable for your display.

In any case, lower the sharpness control all the way. Pull up the correct pattern on DVE, then slowly raise the sharpness/detail control. At a certain point, perhaps even immediately, you should see a brightening, darkening, or thickening(or all of the above) occur over part of or the entire pattern. When you see these artifacts, lower the sharpness to just before these effects become glaringly apparent.

If the effects start immediately after raising sharpness, keep it extremely low or minimize it altogether.

Hope these tips help. And no - your set is not damaged! LOL. Just remember, the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

sometimes ... some controls that do nothing are simply in there as placebo controls. It makes Marketing happy that the feature is included ... but the engineers who know better ... disable the function.

Regards

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both for your answers. I didn't know there was an Avia pro! I've been reading alot of the posts in this forum in the past couple of days and learning alot. Sounds like I need to upgrade my Avia!

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Using AVIA with a DLP set is like using a screwdriver to adjust the warp-drive on the starship Enterprise.

Get Digital Video Essentials or AVIA Pro for that set. The resolution patterns are mastered in HD and are more suitable for your display.

I don't agree with that at all. Avia sharpness patterns are totally adequate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I notice very little (if any) difference with the sharpness pattern as well, on my HL-S5086W. I went from 0-100 several times and could spot little difference. When I started looking at the lettering they seem to get a little sharper at 25, so I left it there. I could never make the sharpness induce any noise into the pattern...

PS I'm connected via component.

·
Banned
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinaz /forum/post/0

I notice very little (if any) difference with the sharpness pattern as well, on my HL-S5086W. I went from 0-100 several times and could spot little difference. When I started looking at the lettering they seem to get a little sharper at 25, so I left it there. I could never make the sharpness induce any noise into the pattern...

PS I'm connected via component.

Lettering? Are you using DVE's overscan pattern(black letters and patterns on gray background)? About as useful as a toilet seat for sharpness - but very helpful for what it is labeled as.

DVE has stepped and fully swept patterns that somewhat resemble the sharpness pattern on AVIA '99. Turn down sharpness and run one of these. If you don't see the change - or point of change - there, then your sharpness control doesn't effect any of the frequencies represented, or, as Michael TLV suggested, the sharpness really is just a placebo.

let us know.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Im using DVE on the overscan test...thats what my DVE says I should be using for sharpness testing, on a Toshiba DLP. Same thing....I can tell almost NO difference between 30 and 80 or so. Anything below 30 gets pretty soft and anything above 80 I can see "spikes" coming off letters and lines. This is from about 1' away. From my chair....I can barely see any diff between 0 and 100.

I've only looked at it for about an hour but DVE is only showing me tests for color, tint, sharpness, and brightness that I can find right off the bat...Im assuming since this is supposed to be THE doityourself DVD that theres more.

Im connected using a hdmi from my ps3.

For some reason...audio was cutting out for me quite a bit during the dvd.

Another question...if DVE is showing me patterns mastered in 16x9 shouldnt that fit my screen fully if I put my TV to natural? I've never quite understood the relationship between my inputs and my TV screen size.

On the overscan pattern...if DVE is set to 16x9 and you have your TV set to detect aspect ratio automatically, shouldnt it be a perfect fit? If so, why even have an overscan pattern?

Someone mentioned that DVE test patterns are mastered in HD, some of the scenes looked pretty good. But my TV says the input was 480 so I dont know what to think.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow...I thought the thread was dead after the 1st two posts.

I'm connected via component.

I'm going to get up on Sunday for the calibration tests on INHD. Do they show a pattern for sharpness?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

An added note to something you mentioned earlier. AVIA pro costs $400 ...

It is a professional tool.

Regards

·
Banned
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* /forum/post/0

Im using DVE on the overscan test...thats what my DVE says I should be using for sharpness testing, on a Toshiba DLP. Same thing....I can tell almost NO difference between 30 and 80 or so. Anything below 30 gets pretty soft and anything above 80 I can see "spikes" coming off letters and lines. This is from about 1' away. From my chair....I can barely see any diff between 0 and 100.

**Just because DVE says what you should be using doesn't mean there aren't alternatives. Go to Title 13, Chapters 4 - 6. These are "multiburst" and "frequency sweep" patterns more suitable for adjusting sharpness.**

I've only looked at it for about an hour but DVE is only showing me tests for color, tint, sharpness, and brightness that I can find right off the bat...Im assuming since this is supposed to be THE doityourself DVD that theres more.

Im connected using a hdmi from my ps3.

For some reason...audio was cutting out for me quite a bit during the dvd.

Another question...if DVE is showing me patterns mastered in 16x9 shouldnt that fit my screen fully if I put my TV to natural? I've never quite understood the relationship between my inputs and my TV screen size.

**Set your PS3 and TV to deliver/accept 16:9. I have no clue what these mfgs mean by "natural".**

On the overscan pattern...if DVE is set to 16x9 and you have your TV set to detect aspect ratio automatically, shouldnt it be a perfect fit? If so, why even have an overscan pattern?

**Because 20-30% of HDTVs out there are a CRT of some sort - directview or projection.**

Someone mentioned that DVE test patterns are mastered in HD, some of the scenes looked pretty good. But my TV says the input was 480 so I dont know what to think.

**Mastered 1080 during production - but scaled down to 480 for the NTSC most DVD players still use. Just like down-scaling 24bit music for playback on the CDDA standard.**

**See my replies above**

Here is Title, Chapter list for DVE:
http://www.videoessentials.com/dvdinsert.php

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Thats just the thing. I've went thru my tv menu and my ps3 menu and theres nothing that specifically points out accept/send 16x9. Im assuming that natural means whatever is being sent to the TV since when Im watching HD programming, that is native 16x9 Natural is the only defaulted. However when i choose natural on DVE it gives me what I am assuming to be 4x3. Is there an option in DVE that I have to choose to set it to 16x9?

Also...in the audio calibration DVE shows like 8 speakers which I could understand if it were a graphic used for all systems but it still shows the speakers when i specifically select 5.1 dolby digital. most of the placement is ok but when it shows the right side front speakers on teh demo, I get sound from my rear left. This is the only audio calibration i've had problems with in that essence

·
Registered
5,005 Posts

Quote:

Thats just the thing. I've went thru my tv menu and my ps3 menu and theres nothing that specifically points out accept/send 16x9. Im assuming that natural means whatever is being sent to the TV since when Im watching HD programming, that is native 16x9 Natural is the only defaulted. However when i choose natural on DVE it gives me what I am assuming to be 4x3. Is there an option in DVE that I have to choose to set it to 16x9?

DVE is enhanced for wide-screen or an anamorphic DVD. This means your display needs to stretch the picture to get the proper aspect ratio. It sounds like Natural on your display is apply things "as is", which would mean true 16:9 or HD signals would fit properly. For DVDs they will show up as 4:3 so you need to select another setting such as "full". You'll have to read your manual but DVE should fill the screen of a 16:9 display.

Check some of the scenes on DVE where people are involved and toggle through the different aspect ratio settings on the display. You will probably find people look tall and skinny using your natural setting.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy /forum/post/0

DVE is enhanced for wide-screen or an anamorphic DVD. This means your display needs to stretch the picture to get the proper aspect ratio. It sounds like Natural on your display is apply things "as is", which would mean true 16:9 or HD signals would fit properly. For DVDs they will show up as 4:3 so you need to select another setting such as "full". You'll have to read your manual but DVE should fill the screen of a 16:9 display.

Check some of the scenes on DVE where people are involved and toggle through the different aspect ratio settings on the display. You will probably find people look tall and skinny using your natural setting.

With my TV on full...every image takes up the entire screen.

At Full on DVE the 1.78 geometry screen looks right but the corners of all the circles in each corner are cut off a bit. Should the circles appear to be full or should it be cut off just a bit on each corner the circle is in? There are no settings in my TV menu that do not cut them off even on 4x3 or natural they are cut off but squeezed.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-6500 /forum/post/0

Lettering? Are you using DVE's overscan pattern(black letters and patterns on gray background)? About as useful as a toilet seat for sharpness - but very helpful for what it is labeled as.

DVE has stepped and fully swept patterns that somewhat resemble the sharpness pattern on AVIA '99. Turn down sharpness and run one of these. If you don't see the change - or point of change - there, then your sharpness control doesn't effect any of the frequencies represented, or, as Michael TLV suggested, the sharpness really is just a placebo.

let us know.

Ok, thanks. I'll check that out.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts

Quote:

With my TV on full...every image takes up the entire screen.

At Full on DVE the 1.78 geometry screen looks right but the corners of all the circles in each corner are cut off a bit. Should the circles appear to be full or should it be cut off just a bit on each corner the circle is in? There are no settings in my TV menu that do not cut them off even on 4x3 or natural they are cut off but squeezed.

The corners getting cut-off is the amount of overscan your display, which can usually be adjusted in the service menu. But it does sound like Full is what you want for DVD. I'm not sure how full affects HD, if at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.