AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok kids... I am starting to believe I am blind or that they just didn't actually make this setting DO anything.

I've tried to set the Sharpness control on the Comp 1 input of the HLN617W at least 5 times... on different days because I thought maybe my eyes were tired from looking at test patterns... but I sure as heck can't tell much if any difference between 100 and 0. I had been conditioned with my 36" RCA Direct VIew HDTV to set Sharpness on 0... but I always actually NOTICED what it did when NOT on 0, so that made sense. I can't tell diddly on this new tv though. Can someone clue me in... or does this TV just not introduce much of a noise signal at all to sharpen edges?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
518 Posts
Iceblade,

On my HLM437W using AVIA, the Sharpness control does almost nothing, just like yours:

- Using component cables from DVD to Component 1 on the TV, the AVIA sharpness pattern only changes at one point, when I go from 10 to 11 on the scale. All the other steps on the scale do nothing.

- If I send component cables from DVD to my STB, and thence to the TV via a DVI cable, the sharpness pattern changes at two points, when I go from 29 to 30 and again when I go from 79 to 80. All the other steps do nothing.

Why is this? I will support nbb007's first post: sharpness adjustments on a DLP are useless. Sharpness was invented because older CRT's had trouble producing a clean dark edge against a light background. Poorer/older CRT's often blur or gray dark-to-light transitions. DLP's simply don't do this. One mirror off, adjacent mirror on. Simple.

Since sharpness in this TV is irrelevant I leave it at zero. Why did they put a useless adjustment on the UM but hide the very useful Gamma setting in the SM? No idea!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On a related note.... Does anyone actually know from a "quantitative" standpoint which one of the Color settings comes closest to actual grey scale, Warm1, Warm2, Cool1, Cool2, etc? I think I read in the HLM SM Tweak thread that it was Warm1. Any thoughts? I'll post this in the other HLN tweaks threads as well, just to see if other people have thoughts.

Thanks,

Jeff

PS - Yeah... that Sharpness thing drives me nuts. Seems like a pretty useless setting on these tv's... Dave Abram's ISF calibration setting of 15 on that HLM set notwithstanding.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the Panasonic DLP and I can definetly notice a big difference once the sharpness gets above 3 or 4. So that theory about DLP's and sharpness is not true. Also I used to a samsung CRT tv and I never could notice any difference with sharpness on that tv. I think it just depends on the tv.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.