AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok how many are guilty of actually using this setting for a little extra sharpness to the picture? I know its doing harm to the PQ at the same time with presenting more artifacts like ringing etc... Im just curious because I had a chance to play with the setting at BB today while watching DINOSAURS on BLU-RAY, which seems to be a little on the soft side for animation? I noticed a bit more digital noise with it on high but it seemed to bring out some detail as well. Looked pretty good on low and med IMHO. I may end up getting one of these to add a little sharpness to my SONY RUBY. Im just curious to see if any one else has been using this setting and their reactions to the PQ?

·
Banned
1,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIN MELHADO /forum/post/0

Ok how many are guilty of actually using this setting for a little extra sharpness to the picture? I know its doing harm to the PQ at the same time with presenting more artifacts like ringing etc... Im just curious because I had a chance to play with the setting at BB today while watching DINOSAURS on BLU-RAY, which seems to be a little on the soft side for animation? I noticed a bit more digital noise with it on high but it seemed to bring out some detail as well. Looked pretty good on low and med IMHO. I may end up getting one of these to add a little sharpness to my SONY RUBY. Im just curious to see if any one else has been using this setting and their reactions to the PQ?

I have it off but have experimented with various settings and as you observed low and medium add sharpness and I cannot see any artifacting from it.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Dinosaurs on Blu is a soft and poor looking transfer compared to the others out there. I had to look twice and three times on a dvd vs Blu comparison to see the differences.

If the transfer is bad ... you have to do what you have to do to make it watchable to your eyes.

Regards

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I wish you could apply the sharpness ONLY to standard DVD. I don't really need it for Blu Ray, but find that on my screen (120 inch 2.35:1) the Standard DVD releases really look blurry compared to HD. Adding sharpness helps, but I don't like to keep it on all the time.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Przybylski /forum/post/0

I wish you could apply the sharpness ONLY to standard DVD. I don't really need it for Blu Ray, but find that on my screen (120 inch 2.35:1) the Standard DVD releases really look blurry compared to HD. Adding sharpness helps, but I don't like to keep it on all the time.

That really sucks, I didn't have a chance to try it on SD DVD and didn't know it only works on BLU-RAY. SD DVD would seem like the most beneficial place for the extra sharpness, are you positive it doesn't work with SD DVD?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.