AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using my 360 with a component cable connected to my Sammy 40in and watching HD-DVDs happily enough. I've been playing around with the VGA cable too, and seeing as I've managed to get the white balance right now, I thought I'd give it a proper shot. I'm still not keen, but have decided it's down to the sharpness controls. Let me explain....

Using component, I have the sharpness set to 20, any lower and I feel the image looks 'soft', and rather flat. Now with VGA, you can't adjust the sharpness, so am I right in thinking that it's basically set to 0? This would explain why VGa doesn't look as nice as component, to me at least.

I know you're meant to have sharpness either very low or off, in order to get a 'film' look, is it something I just need to spend some time getting used to, or am I way off the mark and just need to go back to component ?

I've put this in the LCD forum as I thought it was more LCD related than x360, apologies if I've wrong.

Cheers

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sharpness, on an LCD, is a very different beast than sharpness on a CRT. On an LCD the image is already perfectly sharp, what the control does is add edge enhancements (which is a euphemistic name for 'artifacts'). You can see this if you adjust the setting while displaying a test pattern, especially one with black lines running at an angle against a white background. Turn sharpness much above zero, and you will see ghosting around the lines.

It exists because it makes the image look 'punchier', and some people prefer the image distorted in that way, but then again many people subscribe to the NY Post for the same reason:) - DR

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0s /forum/post/0

Sharpness, on an LCD, is a very different beast than sharpness on a CRT. On an LCD the image is already perfectly sharp, what the control does is add edge enhancements (which is a euphemistic name for 'artifacts'). You can see this if you adjust the setting while displaying a test pattern, especially one with black lines running at an angle against a white background. Turn sharpness much above zero, and you will see ghosting around the lines.

It exists because it makes the image look 'punchier', and some people prefer the image distorted in that way, but then again many people subscribe to the NY Post for the same reason:) - DR

Pretty much what I thought. So basically the image I'm getting out of VGA is what the 'purists' would say is right, but if component looks better to me that's what to stick with?

·
Registered
581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol!ver /forum/post/0

Pretty much what I thought. So basically the image I'm getting out of VGA is what the 'purists' would say is right, but if component looks better to me that's what to stick with?

ultimately whatever looks best to you is what you should be using. sometimes its hard not to let the technically superior connection or technology influence your tastes.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol!ver /forum/post/0

Pretty much what I thought. So basically the image I'm getting out of VGA is what the 'purists' would say is right

I wouldn't go quite that far. It is true with respect to sharpness, but you might be able to transmit more resolution over component than over vga. - DR

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0s /forum/post/0

I wouldn't go quite that far. It is true with respect to sharpness, but you might be able to transmit more resolution over component than over vga. - DR

Oh yeah, I mean if you take the whole washed out thing away etc. With regards to my feeling VGA looked 'smudged', it's not, just I like my images overly-sharp....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.