AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Toshiba CW34X92 and have the Sharpness set at 0. I have seen threads where some are setting the Sharpness at 10-20, etc. What advantage is there to a higher Sharpness setting? Most say on DVD and HD to turn the Sharpness off. Need some comments. Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
695 Posts
Personally, I think sharpness is a tricky subject. Obviously, you don't want it too high or you get extra information along with your picture that destroys the integrity of the image. Setting sharpness to 0 in the user menu may not necessarily mean it's really 0, depending upon service menu setups.

Personally, after watching more HDTV sources, I turned my sharpness up to close to 20 (in the designer menu) for my 480p inputs. According to the Avia sharpness patterns, I still don't get any ringing, and the image looks sharper without too much extra info. Personally, I'd say adjust sharpness just below where you start to get ringing with the sharpness pattern.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I calibrated my Sony 27" NTSC with video essentials last night, and the setting for sharpmess indeed came in at very close to minimum. YMMV - but I would definately recommend getting one of these tools. I was honestly surprised how close the TV came from the factory to the desireable settings (except for the sharpness).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.