AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a flier in the mail today from Pecar in Troy, Michigan. It had a blurb about the Sharpvision 9000. I called, and they said they had one set up for demo. I may head over their later this week if it starts raining. No home theater stuff allowed on sunny days.

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
33 Posts
Guys,

Pecar's has one setup up on a greyhawk 100" using a DTC-100 for display (HDTV)

Not to shabby! Dont wait until the weekend, it will be a zoo.

Phil

·
Registered
590 Posts
Audio Video Showcase

2019 W. Stadium Blvd.

Ann Arbor

734 669 9600

The above was supposed to have one set up by last Friday. It hadn't been by late Saturday. Call before you go.

Robin

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just got back from Pecars in Troy. Saw the Sharp 9000 playing Cast Away, and watched a little HDTV, some hockey, baseball, and Miss Hawaiian Tropic. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

VERY IMPRESSIVE. If I had $8995 available right now, I would not hesitate to buy one today. It was very bright, I saw no rainbow effects, even on CastAway with the firelight at night, in multiple scenes. The HDTV was incredible. I have never seen anything like it. Anyone that can get a chance, head over to Pecars and take a look, you won't be dissapointed.

I went to the place in Ann Arbor yesterday, and all they had up was the Sharp 7000 LCD. It looked good, my son plopped down on the couch and watched Toy Story 2. But compared to the 9000, the 7000 was not worth a second look. The salesman said they would have 2 Sony's set up in a week, and the Sharp 9000 wouldn't be ready for 2 more weeks.

Paul

·
Registered
26,927 Posts
I've got a Runco 980 Ultra I'm trying to unload so that I can go Digital.

The Runco is awesome on its 92" screen BUT I'm installing a 123" wide 2.35 aspect microperf and no CRT on the planet will light up a screen that size!

I'm going tonight to check that projector out.

I'll let you guys know my impressions.

Jeff

Jeff

·
Registered
869 Posts
Paulsons in Farmington Hills is remodeling, but has a 9000 and a 11HT in the same floor rack. I did some initial A/B testing, and came away VERY impressed after I did a little ISF tweaking to the settings on both. The room is not finished, but my be close enough to see it.

Jeff in Detroit

------------------

Color Analyzer - Will Travel

--You deserve Image Perfection--

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's raining today, so I went over and saw the Sharp in action. Keep in mind that my only reference projector is my Sony 400Q. Their screen was a 100" diagonal 4:3 Greyhawk. The picture was razor sharp. Pun intended. Excellent contrast, but, I'd hope so. The thing that bothered me was that the picture was cold and metallic. It didn't seem to have the color saturation that I expected. I don't know another way to describe it. Maybe that's just the way DLPs are. All settings were at zero. Castaway was dark. HD was nice and bright. In sky scenes in HD, though, I could see a faint pattern which almost could have been the surface of the display panel. Subtle, but I saw it in bright scenes. I could go to the screen and see individual pixels, but even at that distance, there was no screen door.

In short, I was hoping for a 400Q with great blacks, high contrast and high reslution. I didn't see that. Not that I wouldn't take one. Just not for $10,000.

Does anybody have any comments on DLP versus LCD, or is it just me with my 400Q?

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi Chuck- Maybe you just like the picture of an LCD over a DLP, no biggie. Were you able to make any color temp adjustments on the 9000Z. I know there are 5 settings and the top two are way too blue, perhaps causing the cold and metallic picture you saw. When I auditioned it, I was allowed to make some adjustments, and I adjusted the color temp until reds started to look red, etc. and it made a big difference. I have often found at dealers, even when they take the time to set up a projector properly, someone else can come along, play with the remote and make some changes for the worse. Dealers often try hard, but sometimes it's the customer that messes it up for the next guy auditioning the projector.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gladiator wrote: "Hi Chuck- Maybe you just like the picture of an LCD over a DLP, no biggie. Were you able to make any color temp adjustments on the 9000Z."

I did a few adjustments. Things weren't screwed up. Everything was set to 0. I'm sure that I could have taken some time to make it more to my liking. When you say that I may like an LCD picture over DLP, that seems to indicate that there is a difference, even if both were calibrated. Is that so? Another way I've thought of describing what I saw is that it looked like a black and white image with a color overlay instead of being made of RGB. But, like I say, my only reference is my 400Q and how I see real things in the real world. I don't mean this as a harsh criticism of the projector - it's just a report of what I saw.

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
529 Posts

Quote:
When you say that I may like an LCD picture over DLP, that seems to indicate that there is a difference, even if both were calibrated.
There are different technologies out there and hence different reproductions of video signals. Just like opinions differ on dynamic, planar, and electrostatics speakers, etc. They are all producing sound, just in different ways. Some people only like CRT projectors because they feel digital technology doesn't offer the same quality yet. I was just trying to say trust your own judgement versus relying on the technology that produces the picture.

Quote:
Another way I've thought of describing what I saw is that it looked like a black and white image with a color overlay instead of being made of RGB.
Sounds like something is way off. Your best option is to maybe audition another DLP such as the new Seleco, Dwin, or Marantz (when released) and compare it to the new Sony 11T or Sanyo PLV-60 LCD and see if other DLP's offer a better image than the Sharp, or you still prefer an LCD image. The 11T LCD might be a logical replacement for you as it does have higher contrast and resolution over the 400Q.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Chuck,

Thank's for you impressions of the Sharp.

Would it be fair to say, based on your view, that the Sharp has a much better black level and higher contrast in comparison to the 400q, or would you say that the differences are not that significant?

And one more question, were you able to watch material you are familiar with?

Thank's

Ran

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ran wrote: "Would it be fair to say, based on your view, that the Sharp has a much better black level and higher contrast in comparison to the 400q, or would you say that the differences are not that significant?

And one more question, were you able to watch material you are familiar with?"

Yes, it had much much better black level, contrast and brightness than my Sony. This was on the greyhawk. It was the cool, metalic look and the color saturation that I'm not used to. The DVD they were showing was Castaway, which I have. They also showed part of the PBS demo loop that looked good, except I didn't see any of the human segments to judge fleshtones.

Off topic from your question, do you believe that old projectors know when you're looking at new ones? My Sony just bit the dust. The lamp is on, but no picture and the remote and manual buttons don't work. Looks like I'll have to decide on a projector real quick.

Chuck Davis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.